• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn retires from Test cricket

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The 2010 version of Steyn was probably the best and most entertaining fast bowler I've ever seen. Hooping it miles with the new ball, ridiculous reverse with the old, had it all.
Spent more hours than I care to admit watching YouTube videos of him from that period. His 6/8 against Pakistan is another favourite of mine, ludicrous spell. Also, when he bowled Australia out in the 2nd innings at Port Elizabeth in 2014. So many great memories.

OverratedSanity

Steyn vs Tendulkar in that SA/India series is as about as pure a cricketing contest as you can get
Two back to back series actually. One at home, one away. Their battle at Nagpur which Steyn won comprehensively was great.

Spark

Global Moderator
I didn’t say which one :ph34r: although yeah I principally had the series in SA in mind.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The second best fast bowler of my cricket-watching lifetime and top ten ever. I remember a couple of years back thinking about what he'd have to do to overtake McGrath in my mind and more or less backing him in for it -- unfortunately injury struck repeatedly afterwards and has meant he's fallen just short, but WAG. Thanks for the memories.

SeamUp

International Coach
Man I am going to miss him. A piece of you goes when a player you have watched for so long leaves test cricket. You spend so much time watching them ! But this was coming unfortunately.

Thinking back to the start and the great ball to Vaughan and the clear potential but it was a tough start to his international career. He went away for a bit and came back on a wicket-taking run I don't think will ever be matched by regular frequency and beauty.

OverratedSanity

His ball to get Pujara lbw is one of the few deliveries that's ever made me actually rub my eyes in disbelief.

Edit: Why is it not on YouTube anymore?? lame

Last edited:

vcs

His ball to get Pujara lbw is one of the few deliveries that's ever made me actually rub my eyes in disbelief.

Edit: Why is it not on YouTube anymore?? lame
His ball to Clarke in Perth 2012 was even better. Clarke was at the peak of his powers then.

trundler

Unquestionably the greatest bowler I've had the privilege of soon. Absolute match winner. I was fairly young at the time but who can forget him making Hafeez his bitch and rolling Pakistan over for 2 digit scores. The best touring fast bowler in Asia. One of those cricketers you cannot help but cheer for, even if they're playing against you. Such an entertainer. Complete fast bowler with so many legendary spells.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Probably my favourite player ever. The drawn out nature of his end makes the news a little less painful but it's still sad.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Was he that guy who everyone thought had the potential to become the next Brett Lee? IIRC he was pretty good but never quite lived up to his billing. Decent effort though.

trundler

Was he that guy who everyone thought had the potential to become the next Brett Lee? IIRC he was pretty good but never quite lived up to his billing. Decent effort though.
2/10, not enough zing. Keep it up though. Maybe in another 15 years you'll get there.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Next Bret Lee undersells him. More like next Allan Donald.

SillyCowCorner1

The second greatest SA fast in this century after my favorite Makhaya. Steyn needs no comparison. He is a special bowler and a special player. That action was everything man.

I'll miss him.

Bahseph

State Captain
Steyn made me love Test Cricket. I started getting into it around 2006 and the first full series I watched was when he personally destroyed New Zealand in SA. Undoubtedly the reason why SA were number 1 for so long. His ability to bowl well everywhere was uncanny. Just want to see the crazy eyes a few more times before he calls it quits for good!