• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hussain Quits Cricket

PY

International Coach
Sanz said:
http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/2003/OD_TOURNEYS/NWS/

I am sure it was a test series. 8-) Don't they cal their test series as npower or something ? And didn't I specifically use 'NATWEST' ??
But Zimbabwe were going to have to travel because of the Test matches and the ECB couldn't have done anything (by your logic) because the ICC have specified that those Tests had to be played.

You're not the only one who can post condescending, patronising and totally useless links......

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:
But Zimbabwe were going to have to travel because of the Test matches and the ECB couldn't have done anything (by your logic) because the ICC have specified that those Tests had to be played.

You're not the only one who can post condescending, patronising and totally useless links......
Well, I know I am not only one who can post useless links, especially after you posted the last one. I sould suggest you to go back to your own links and read some of the news stories.

My point is simple, If England or its players cared so much for the Zimbabwe issue then they could have still played the Test series (an ICC series) and not invited Zimbabwe to play in the natwest series (a non-ICC series) in protest.

Somehow I feel that You are trying to say that ECB did not want to play this series and played only because of ICC pressure whereas the fact is that ECB and British govt. went out of their way to make the tour possible, Infact It was zimbabwe which was threatening to boycott the tour ECB was just too happy to have them in England. This same british govt which doesn't want english team to play zimbabwe had their full backing when Zimbabwe were visiting England. Mr. Tim Lamb had issued this statement before the 2003 series :-

"I think there are double standards here....It is unfair for cricket to have to make political decisions......We don't think the Zimbabwe cricketers are any more the henchmen of Robert Mugabe than the England players are the foot-soldiers of Tony Blair. They are representing their country at cricket. Let me stress that the Zimbabwe Cricket Union which sanctioned this tour is an apolitical organisation. Its staff are drawn from a variety of the country's ethnic backgrounds......It upsets me when people say that. We need to generate revenue to do the things we do from the playground to Test arena and without the money from the Test arena we can't do those things."

Please read through some of the news articles in the link you have posted, you will notice countless justification by Mr. Tim Lamb in favor of the tour.

PY

International Coach
Sanz said:
My point is simple, If England or its players cared so much for the Zimbabwe issue then they could have still played the Test series (an ICC series) and not invited Zimbabwe to play in the natwest series (a non-ICC series) in protest.
There is a need to distinguish between the players and ECB. ECB are the bosses of the England players, they pay the wages of the England players and decide what the England players do.

The players didn't decide to invite Zimbabwe. They fulfilled their contracts to the ECB and did their job. And bear in mind, that Zimbabwe still had all their main players bar Andy Flower and Henry Olonga. The team wasn't being picked on racial basis at the moment in time so why was there a need for the England players to strike?

If the ECB had chosen to cancel it then it would have been legitimate reasons because of the political situation in Zimbabwe but the players doing it because of the situation in Zimbabwe was bad is a little off-beam.

This probably makes no sense because I'm struggling to put what I mean on the screen and I have end-of-year exams which are rather more important to concentrate on.

PY

International Coach
Hell no, wouldn't be bothered if it were those. :p

1st Year Aerospace degree.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:
There is a need to distinguish between the players and ECB. ECB are the bosses of the England players, they pay the wages of the England players and decide what the England players do.
Incorrect, The players decide what they want to do. No one can force them to tour another country. I remember during last tour of India Daren Gough, Alec Stewart, Andrew Cadiick, Robert Croft made themselves unavailable and were not selected.

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Sanz said:
Incorrect, The players decide what they want to do. No one can force them to tour another country. I remember during last tour of India Daren Gough, Alec Stewart, Andrew Cadiick, Robert Croft made themselves unavailable and were not selected.
I meant in terms of whether a tour goes ahead because as you say, people can drop out but the tour still goes ahead.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Incorrect, The players decide what they want to do. No one can force them to tour another country.

Irrelevant as the series you're criticising England for was at home and hence not a tour.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Irrelevant as the series you're criticising England for was at home and hence not a tour.
So, it's okay to play with zimbabwe at home and generate revenue but when it comes to reciprocate the tour all at a sudden politics becomes a big issue ?If this is not hypocrisy then what is ?

And it is very relevent because If players really wanted to protest they had an option of opting out of the series, ECB cant force them to play in any series, home or away.