• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hussain Quits Cricket

twctopcat

International Regular
Giles, that is if Pietersen and Vaughan decide to use a bit of their own off-spin. Vaughan's is underrated (does them in the flight ;) ), he should stop being so afraid of using it IMO.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Nobody knows at this stage - there's 6 Tests at least before then...

He may not walk straight into the Test side (now that we've got Strauss come through, and Collingwood also waiting)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
twctopcat said:
Vaughan's is underrated (does them in the flight ;) ), he should stop being so afraid of using it IMO.

Vaughan himself doesn't rate it that highly at all.

He's made comments to the effect that all of a sudden he's a world-beating spinner when he doesn't bowl!

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Nobody knows at this stage - there's 6 Tests at least before then...

He may not walk straight into the Test side (now that we've got Strauss come through, and Collingwood also waiting)
That's a valid point, although Collingwood would help himself by filling his boot's with Durham.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Actually I don't think that would make as big a difference - he's shown he's got the mental ability, and that is more than half the battle.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I think that Hussain has made the right decision to retire on a high. He will be remembered more fondly. I also think with Strauss having a good start to his test career it may have made Hussain more comfortable in making the decision.

I have never been able to understand the fuss over Hussain. He batting has been OK but never brilliant and his captaincy was fair at best. I have only seen him when he has played against Australia so that may have tainted my view. He was attacked savagely when last in Aust which was unfair and that may have lead to some poor captaincy from him on that tour. Probably his best legacy will be that the English side is stronger now than when he started. He must have played a good part in that happening.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Actually I don't think that would make as big a difference - he's shown he's got the mental ability, and that is more than half the battle.
Which is all well and good if he isn't in the best of form with the bat.

Can you really a justify a selection for England (Or any country in that matter) because of "mental ability" if they aren't in the greatest of form with the bat?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Most of the current side weren't in the best form when they were selected (Vaughan, Trescothick, G Jones, Butcher, S Jones, Harmison, ...)

PY

International Coach
The Argonaut said:
I have never been able to understand the fuss over Hussain. He batting has been OK but never brilliant and his captaincy was fair at best. I have only seen him when he has played against Australia so that may have tainted my view. He was attacked savagely when last in Aust which was unfair and that may have lead to some poor captaincy from him on that tour. Probably his best legacy will be that the English side is stronger now than when he started. He must have played a good part in that happening.
The main reason why people are grateful to Hussain is because of his general grittiness when England were screwed and he came in and saved the day. His captaincy was more because of his continual berating of players when they messed up which meant IMO the attitude of England as a team has improved a great deal.

Also he has been the first captain for a while who spoke his mind and wasn't interested in draws and "oh we played well, the result doesn't matter". More of the winning attitude which I found quite refreshing after Atherton, Stewart and Gooch.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Argonaut said:
I have never been able to understand the fuss over Hussain. He batting has been OK but never brilliant and his captaincy was fair at best. I have only seen him when he has played against Australia so that may have tainted my view.
The Australian tour - yes. The first decision which Hussain made was wrong, and hung like a millstone around his neck for the entire series. Whether it changed anything, I don't know, but it was harder to envisage a bigger error of judgement.

Overall, the plusses in his captaincy far outweigh the minuses because he took an approach which England needed at the time - rip their arms off and hit them with the soggy end.

Actually, I still reckon they need that approach.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Good stuff...

However, he must be the loudest mouth in cricket... He always seems to have to prove himself, or say something... However cant argue with his lashing of the International ****up Cronies...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Hussain should shut his trap. The guy is just a hypocrite. If he cares so much for Zimbabwe issue then he should have taken a stand during the world cup along with Andy Flower and Henry Olonga.

He criticized teh ICC but forgot to say a word about ECB which immidiately after the world cup invited the same Zimbabwe Team to play a traingular series in England. Hussain doesn't care for Zimbabwe or its people, he was mad only because England were not awarded the point and zimbabwe was. Had ICC awarded those 4 or even 2 points to England, this whole issue would have died down then and there itself.

Last edited:

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
Hussain should shut is trap. The guy is just a hypocrite. If he cares so much for Zimbabwe issue then he should have taken a stand during the world cup along with Andy Flower and Henry Olonga.
If you don't know what you are talking about, it's probably better not to post, because, as with the above, you are liable to end up posting balderdash.

Cheers,

Mike

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
badgerhair said:
If you don't know what you are talking about, it's probably better not to post, because, as with the above, you are liable to end up posting balderdash.

Cheers,

Mike
I guess you dont have an opinion on Hussain's comments. Thank you for making such a sensible post. ;)

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Most of the current side weren't in the best form when they were selected (Vaughan, Trescothick, G Jones, Butcher, S Jones, Harmison, ...)
However, in the case of Butcher he got picked (before Birmingham 2001 v Australia) he was really got called in as an emergency with some many player's going down injured.

Besides, it would help Collingwood's chance's if he's in good form.

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
The Australian tour - yes. The first decision which Hussain made was wrong, and hung like a millstone around his neck for the entire series. Whether it changed anything, I don't know, but it was harder to envisage a bigger error of judgement.
I don't know.

If it had worked he would be lauded as a genius, and if it didn't, an idiot.

There was assistence there for the bowlers, but his bowler's didn't exploit.

It doesn't help Vaughan missing the stumps in the 4th over to run out Hayden, Vaughan and Hoggard both not dropping Hayden, if Jones had been standing on the boundary when he caught Hayden for 40, or Simon Jones not ripping his knee cap, anything could have happen.

It wasn't as though England didn't have chances. They never took them.

Funny how people seem to ignore that bit.

PY

International Coach
Sanz said:
Hussain should shut his trap. The guy is just a hypocrite. If he cares so much for Zimbabwe issue then he should have taken a stand during the world cup along with Andy Flower and Henry Olonga...................................................
The reason Mike was critical because that post is full of tosh.

Hussain has expressed his disgust with the ECB many times eg saying that he didn't have any support at the World Cup and that the ECB was fannying about not making a decision which didn't help the preparation of the team for it's remaining games.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
I guess you dont have an opinion on Hussain's comments. Thank you for making such a sensible post. ;)
Ah, Americans and cricket.

Must be a Davison thing - blame Canada. :p

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:
The reason Mike was critical because that post is full of tosh.

Hussain has expressed his disgust with the ECB many times eg saying that he didn't have any support at the World Cup and that the ECB was fannying about not making a decision which didn't help the preparation of the team for it's remaining games.
IMO, Hussains comments are nonsense and hypocritical at best, What's the point in talking about the world cup now. Hussain was only interested in POINTS and not about the Zimbabwe issue. England is lucky that they were not banned. It was all about money and points nomatter who it was.

What support was he expecting from ECB ?? I am sure he wasn't expectin ECB to go aganist ICC because in that case England would have been thrown out of International Cricket.