Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: The other Steve Smith question - Who would you try and get him out ?

Gob
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    No Lyon wasn't on the radar. I don't know if he'd even played a Shield game yet. Lyon was picked for 2011 tour of Sri Lanka basically out of the T20 Bash. Was a pretty random selection.

You might be right about Hauritz. He hadn't been terrible but tye selectors were tired of his mediocrity.
    Hauri the hero of the Sydney test

lol Pakistan
    Dead Dove Do Not Eat

Virat-Vaughan-Amla

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was keeping Lyon out of the side. Either that or it was Hauritz, who had impressed to that point.
    And O'Keefe was dominating at Shield level at the time as well. And he was a left-armer too and a better batsman to boot. I have plenty of doubts of how well he'd have fared but he'd have been a lot better than Doherty!
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

I just remember that Doherty was basically the 4th best choice, if that

Gob
    I just remember that Doherty was basically the 4th best choice, if that
    He destroyed the little Sri Lankans leading up to that Ashes series tbh

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    And O'Keefe was dominating at Shield level at the time as well. And he was a left-armer too and a better batsman to boot. I have plenty of doubts of how well he'd have fared but he'd have been a lot better than Doherty!
    SOK not being picked in that post-Warne was ridiculous. Every other spinner averaging 40-50 in the Shield was given a chance, but not the bloke averaging low-20s and who was the best batsman of all of them! It wasn't talked about enough in the media at the time. I never got why people just accepted it.

International Debutant GoodAreasShane's Avatar
    O'Keefe was being kept out of the NSW Shield side by Hauritz, who himself barely got a bowl because of the NSW pace attack. The Mark Cameron 11 for 52 game is a good example of that.

Doherty still a poor selection though, seemed to be picked primarily on the basis of a couple of good 50 over games
    Allegedly banned

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Usman probably figured he could use the zing bails to deflect the ball over the fence
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrat Garlick View Post
    glad to not have found out the real name of GoodAreasShane, as it allows me to keep imagining that at club cricket his mates shout "good areas, GoodAreasShane"

U19 Vice-Captain Hicheal Michael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gob View Post
    Remember picking Xavier Doherty to get KP out and KP going on to get a double.

Good times
    Even though it was O'Keefe who bowled Pietersen in the warm up game whilst taking 4/88 and scoring 66.

Bloke got robbed of a test career.

International Captain the big bambino's Avatar
    Didn't the English in that series put out word SOK bowled straight, flat pies?

Normally I wouldn't advocate for picking a bowler to get a specific batsman but picking a guy to specifically get Smith is basically like picking someone to dismiss half of Australia.
    Leach in for Moeen would be the way to go anyway now tbh, it's an added bonus that he happens to be the type of bowler that Smith might ​be vaguely fallible against
    Follow me @cricket_gc, should you want to learn more of my cricketing thoughts and opinions, or read them in more detail on my blog: https://gccricket.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Didn't the English in that series put out word SOK bowled straight, flat pies?
    sounds about spot on tbh

Still his straight flat pies were far better than anything else Aus had to offer in that period. I still genuinely think if SOK was stuck with instead of Lyon when he came in, SOK would have as good, or even a better, career than Lyon.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Smith's strength is his trigger movement when the bowler is about to deliver the ball.The one advantage with this movement for him is that his leg side play gets stronger and offside play gets weaker at this point of time. Also he would be in a position where his body balance w.r.t offside stroke play too gets a bit weaker at that instinct of time.To exploit this weakness bowlers need to adjust their line and length at the last moment. Unfortunately there are not that many out and out non Australian fast bowlers who are able to adjust at the last moment like Mcgrath,Ambrose,Wasim etc etc now a days other than perhaps SAF bowlers fast & 'Bumrah to some extend' .
    The line and length for such trigger movement is 4rth ,5th stump good length moving away ball. This is why left armers has been more effective against Smith. A left arm prodigious swing bowler who can alter his line and length at the last minute is a very good option against him. Also left arm spinners too has been fairly successful against him. Herath has been his nemesis. Maharaj,Elgar,Taijul Islam,Shakib, Jadeja ,Ojha all has had fair success against him.

International Captain the big bambino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    sounds about spot on tbh

Still his straight flat pies were far better than anything else Aus had to offer in that period. I still genuinely think if SOK was stuck with instead of Lyon when he came in, SOK would have as good, or even a better, career than Lyon.
    Looks like the Poms suckered us into not selecting him, though I hear he wasn't ever a favourite among administrators.

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    though I hear he wasn't ever a favourite among administrators.
    haha yeah that seems pretty evident in hindsight. Farcical that he didn't play during that period

Consult a psychiatrist. Looks like he suffers from ocd.
    This guy is totally obsessed with batting, so much so that he has played each and every ball 1000 times in his imagination

There isn't any easy way to get him out, he is the new age bradman, need something like bodyline to stop him.

Upcoming matches will establish the fact that he is the modern age bradman, you can't stop him by just bowling good lines and lengths.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information