• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The other Steve Smith question - Who would you try and get him out ?

Gob

International Coach
No Lyon wasn't on the radar. I don't know if he'd even played a Shield game yet. Lyon was picked for 2011 tour of Sri Lanka basically out of the T20 Bash. Was a pretty random selection.

You might be right about Hauritz. He hadn't been terrible but tye selectors were tired of his mediocrity.
Hauri the hero of the Sydney test

lol Pakistan

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm pretty sure he was keeping Lyon out of the side. Either that or it was Hauritz, who had impressed to that point.
And O'Keefe was dominating at Shield level at the time as well. And he was a left-armer too and a better batsman to boot. I have plenty of doubts of how well he'd have fared but he'd have been a lot better than Doherty!

TheJediBrah

And O'Keefe was dominating at Shield level at the time as well. And he was a left-armer too and a better batsman to boot. I have plenty of doubts of how well he'd have fared but he'd have been a lot better than Doherty!
SOK not being picked in that post-Warne was ridiculous. Every other spinner averaging 40-50 in the Shield was given a chance, but not the bloke averaging low-20s and who was the best batsman of all of them! It wasn't talked about enough in the media at the time. I never got why people just accepted it.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
O'Keefe was being kept out of the NSW Shield side by Hauritz, who himself barely got a bowl because of the NSW pace attack. The Mark Cameron 11 for 52 game is a good example of that.

Doherty still a poor selection though, seemed to be picked primarily on the basis of a couple of good 50 over games

Bijed

International Regular
Normally I wouldn't advocate for picking a bowler to get a specific batsman but picking a guy to specifically get Smith is basically like picking someone to dismiss half of Australia.
Leach in for Moeen would be the way to go anyway now tbh, it's an added bonus that he happens to be the type of bowler that Smith might ​be vaguely fallible against

TheJediBrah

Didn't the English in that series put out word SOK bowled straight, flat pies?
sounds about spot on tbh

Still his straight flat pies were far better than anything else Aus had to offer in that period. I still genuinely think if SOK was stuck with instead of Lyon when he came in, SOK would have as good, or even a better, career than Lyon.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Smith's strength is his trigger movement when the bowler is about to deliver the ball.The one advantage with this movement for him is that his leg side play gets stronger and offside play gets weaker at this point of time. Also he would be in a position where his body balance w.r.t offside stroke play too gets a bit weaker at that instinct of time.To exploit this weakness bowlers need to adjust their line and length at the last moment. Unfortunately there are not that many out and out non Australian fast bowlers who are able to adjust at the last moment like Mcgrath,Ambrose,Wasim etc etc now a days other than perhaps SAF bowlers fast & 'Bumrah to some extend' .
The line and length for such trigger movement is 4rth ,5th stump good length moving away ball. This is why left armers has been more effective against Smith. A left arm prodigious swing bowler who can alter his line and length at the last minute is a very good option against him. Also left arm spinners too has been fairly successful against him. Herath has been his nemesis. Maharaj,Elgar,Taijul Islam,Shakib, Jadeja ,Ojha all has had fair success against him.

the big bambino

International Captain
sounds about spot on tbh

Still his straight flat pies were far better than anything else Aus had to offer in that period. I still genuinely think if SOK was stuck with instead of Lyon when he came in, SOK would have as good, or even a better, career than Lyon.
Looks like the Poms suckered us into not selecting him, though I hear he wasn't ever a favourite among administrators.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
Consult a psychiatrist. Looks like he suffers from ocd.
This guy is totally obsessed with batting, so much so that he has played each and every ball 1000 times in his imagination

There isn't any easy way to get him out, he is the new age bradman, need something like bodyline to stop him.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
Upcoming matches will establish the fact that he is the modern age bradman, you can't stop him by just bowling good lines and lengths.

Slifer

International Captain
Tbh Bumrah is very lucky he wasnt there for India's last tour. Smith would've torn them apart.

Burgey

Jasprit Bumrah
I presume yo're saying this because he's been fortunate enough not to have to bowl to him yet? Will be a good match up, that one. Bumrah's angles will pose a good test for the Smith Program, which I expect to add a few extra lines of code to specifically deal with him before averaging about 130 for the series.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Feel Bumrah will really challenge him. It's ironic that Bumrah's had the wood over every batter so far, much like Smith's batting, and he's an incredibly intelligent quick who can assess a situation like no other bowler around. Will no doubt be a heavyweight clash

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
In Australia, I'm really looking forward to Neil Wagner vs Steve Smith on bouncy Aussie wickets. Wags will bring the aggro needed I reckon.