Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: The other Steve Smith question - Who would you try and get him out ?

Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    Stand behind the stumps when he's short of his ground
    Fix the header and merge the threads ****
    zorax likes this.
    trundler isn't annoying at all. He's quality. -TJB
    Yea trundler is the new Bijed. Good addition. - Zorax
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    trundler is the coolest member to join the forum in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    Stand behind the stumps when he's short of his ground
    Lol

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    I play local club third grade now. Dinky, accurate medium pacers at about 55m/h, with a bit of wobbly out or inswing. Think of Chris Harris, but not as good.

I'm thinking my plan would just be wait for him to declare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Red Hill is a piece of ****

Banned
    Let him get to 140. Seems a weakness hes developed in the year off.
    vcs likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    You made that joke twice burgey. Giving you an official warning for repetitive posting.
    zorax likes this.

Banned
    The post in this thread was for those from the lesser nations who haven't got the appropriate post count yet and therefore aren't allowed into the Ashes subbie. The whole world deserves to have my insights inflicted upon it, not just the unlucky chosen few.

Banned
    But in seriousness, it's got to be the dry line outside off and just accept that because he's Aspy AF it will take longer to bore him out than others. And because his movement across is so pronounced, that dry line to him is about 1.5-2 stumps wider than it is to other players.

The unfortunate thing with doing this is you'll end up with the Viv Richards conundrum Australia had in WSC - he was the best leg side player in the world, so they consciously bowled wider of off stump to him to stop him scoring through leg, and through them doing that he became the best off side player in the world too. Which is probably what will happen with Smith, but you'll at leas slow him down some in the interim.

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    Two outswingers then an inswinger. It's like choosing rock in rock, paper, scissors. Nothing beats that.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    The whole world deserves to have my insights inflicted upon it
    very apt choice of word

International 12th Man
    There was an over Stokes bowled to Smith, just before lunch I think, where Stokes had Smith in trouble about playing to leg or to the off and in the end got an edge down to fine leg.

Is there a line whereby bowling full you might get that "corridor of uncertainty" or would Smith just adjust the amount he steps across the stumps. ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    There was an over Stokes bowled to Smith, just before lunch I think, where Stokes had Smith in trouble about playing to leg or to the off and in the end got an edge down to fine leg.

Is there a line whereby bowling full you might get that "corridor of uncertainty" or would Smith just adjust the amount he steps across the stumps. ?
    I think there is, but it's a similar conundrum to what Australia faced with Pujara out here last summer - you just have to be orders of magnitude more patient than normal, and accept they will take longer than the average bloke to make a lapse in judgment. Like, if you're the skipper of the fielding side, you want to be telling your bowlers they will be binned if he works them to the leg side, even for singles. As SteveNZ says, part of Smith's MO is he suckers bowlers into thinking after an over or two "I'll sneak one onto the pads here and get an lbw", but he's trolling you. You have to be prepared not to bowl two overs outside off to him non-stop, but to do it for two hours. And if he's good enough to outlast you or take you for runs through cover, then you just dip your lid.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    It's even more of a problem with Smith than Pujara as Smith scores a fair bit more freely than him and therefore it's even harder to have the discipline to bowl a steady plan to him.
    vcs likes this.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

If people started bowling nothing but channel balls to Smith I'm pretty sure he'd eventually invent a perfectly safe way of smacking them all for 4. On the leg side. Blindfolded.

Watching Smith bat last night there were some shots he played which he had so much time to play that you wouldn't have been surprised if he'd managed to duck down to the shops and buy some milk before the ball got to him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    It's even more of a problem with Smith than Pujara as Smith scores a fair bit more freely than him and therefore it's even harder to have the discipline to bowl a steady plan to him.
    Yeah it is but it all comes back to patience and discipline. You can't bowl wicket to wicket as that's leg side to him. You can't bounce him because he's good off the back dog and selective when he plays the hook and pull. So your only option is channel, but it's about where the channel is to him, and imo it's wider than usual. So set up with a 7-2 field including, if needs be and depending on the state of the game, a sweeper at cover point and just bowl there non stop. It's ugly and it's limited, but what else will work when he's in form? You basically need the McGrath method but two stumps wider. Ok, he leaves plenty or whacks a few if you get it way wrong and get too wide, but its controllable and gives you a shot at waiting him out.
    vcs likes this.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information