• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The other Steve Smith question - Who would you try and get him out ?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
This current india team is unbeatable at home imo. The real test comes down to how the teams would fare away. Imo Australia 00 >= WI 84 > india current...away
Pretty sure their current run of home series victories currently extends into double figures. Not too shabby.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah this India side are juggernaughts at home. They haven't relied on pitch doctoring either, just beat everyone on normal Indian pitches.

Slifer

International Captain
Destroyed everyone tbh , with the exception of Australia. That's y I think so highly of that fcker Steve Smith. Wafg. Ugly technique but he took apart jadeja and ashwin in india.

Daemon

I'm not saying that they are significantly better, just that it wouldn't be crazy to make that claim. Especially if you believe that standards of cricket improved a lot in those 20-30 years, which is not an unfair assumption given the increasing professionalism. WI certainly have a stronger pace attack but Aus having Gilchrist and Warne, who are lightyears ahead of their WI counterparts (when applicable) makes a big difference. Aus have stronger batting in general too.
Of course it's crazy to make that claim. 9 out of 10 series. Don't know why Slifer has bothered to respond tbh.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
If anything, I thought it was common knowledge that the standards of cricket have decreased over the past 20 years. T20 has had a negative impact on both batting & bowling techniques/tactics. We're seeing more batting collapses than ever.

Only thing I would say that has improved beyond a shadow of a doubt is fitness & fielding skills.

TheJediBrah

If anything, I thought it was common knowledge that the standards of cricket have decreased over the past 20 years. T20 has had a negative impact on both batting & bowling techniques/tactics. We're seeing more batting collapses than ever.

Only thing I would say that has improved beyond a shadow of a doubt is fitness & fielding skills.
10 years maybe, not 20 years. And even then it's mostly just Test batting standards that have dropped.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
heh very good point

no one really beats anyone 9/10 times with any regularity, except maybe the Ashes from 89-05 (not including genuine minnows)
India at home in recent times vs everyone - I'd still love to see stats. I recall pulling some up, and India has a higher win % (at home only) than even the great Windies/Australian teams (at their respective homes) of the past but I'm not good with the Cricinfo Stats page.

TheJediBrah

India at home in recent times vs everyone - I'd still love to see stats. I recall pulling some up, and India has a higher win % (at home only) than even the great Windies/Australian teams (at their respective homes) of the past but I'm not good with the Cricinfo Stats page.
Sure but "at home" is a pretty big stipulation

If we're being honest India are helped by being the only consistently strong subcontinent side, which makes them less likely to lose series at home when the other strongest Test sides are mostly non-Asian and at a big disadvantage in Asia. Compared to say SA, Aus, Eng and NZ who all generally challenge each other at home.

Slifer

International Captain
Wi lost one test match at home in the 80s. Probably won less than india though. Australia during their reign were scarily great at home. White washed pretty much every other cricket team.

Burgey

would you rate it as 9/10?
I would rate it somewhere between "odd given he has no dog in the fight - 3/10" and "why would you be so strident about it at all when CW doesn't need you - 8.5/10"

Again, these are questions of opinion. I can understand Slifer being pretty strident in his views as he's a WI supporter, and to an extent I can also understand A Massive Zebra because he just randomly posts worked-up **** out of nowhere in between large periods of me not seeing him posting about the place. But this episode of Daemon waaaahhhing is unusual, as I don't know why you gaf about it tbh. I mean, it isn't like anyone is going to compare any of India's sides through history with either of those outfits.

Daemon

I'm just very passionate about proving people wrong, as evidenced by list of my emphatic victories which after this episode is up to 97.

Burgey

Actually he said Australia would beat wi 90% in any era any where. All I simply stated that it's unlikely they'd beat WI IN THE WI. Especially under 80s conditions. He opened up pandoras box with that 90% and any era crap. I never ever said Australia wouldn't beat wi . I could see them beating the WI in Australia. Big difference
****, here I was thinking i was simply talking about hypothetical cricket match ups. Would it make you feel better if I made it 8.5/10?

Burgey

I'm just very passionate about proving people wrong, as evidenced by list of my emphatic victories which after this episode is up to 97.
This is understandable when you've achieved nothing yourself yet.

The only thing you consistently beat is yourself

Burgey

I should also add that it's apparent Steve Smith would average 4.8 vs the West indies team of the 1980s and Bradman all of 8.7 because those bowlers only have to turn up to make every batsman in history turn to a puddle of excrement, while the West Indies side of that era would generally make 597 for 2 (dec) from 43 overs against any Australian attack in history, or any combo of bowlers from any country on earth, ever. And they were also terrific sports who never put a foot out of line anywhere, ever.

That should hopefully make Slifer feel better.

About a hypothetical match up.

Between teams of different eras playing under different conditions.

Last edited: