• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne says Hussain should stay & Trescothick should go

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Time to separate champs from the chumps

Wisden CricInfo staff

May 27, 2004

Shane Warne has declared his support for a two-division international system in which the stronger Test nations would no longer be required to play the weaker sides.

Under Warne's proposed system, fledgling Test nations such as Bangladesh and Zimbabwe would have to prove their mettle before winning promotion to the upper league and the right to play elite countries like Australia.

"I agree with Ricky Ponting's suggestion of a two-tier system with maybe a Super Six or Super Seven in the top division of Test cricket," Warne wrote in his column in London's The Times newspaper.

"Countries below would have to put in the hard yards to earn the right to compete against the best."

Ponting said this week that players want to be "challenged and tested", and that the presence of substandard sides risked cheapening international cricket.

Warne called on the ICC to intervene in Zimbabwe and ensure that legitimate selection procedures were being adhered to. "What has happened is a real shame," said Warne, "and I hope the people at the top can rectify the situation so that Zimbabwean cricket has the right selection process in place again, and soon."

Warne also offered some selection advice for the Poms, who are currently involved in a closely-matched three-Test series against New Zealand. He said Marcus Trescothick should make way for the returning Michael Vaughan and urged Nasser Hussain, on the back of his matchwinning hundred at Lord's this week, to forget about retiring. "As much as people might want him to go," said Warne, "this is not the right time."

© Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

Craig

World Traveller
There is next to chance Trescothick won't play in the next Test unless he is injured or pull's out for personal reason's.

Hussain will announce his future later today.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Now you knew that would get a response
notwithstanding my new-found nonchalance.
Some things Warne says are rum.
Shane, don't hark to your mum.
Don't need her help to be a daft ponce.

biased indian

International Coach
"I agree with Ricky Ponting's suggestion of a two-tier system with maybe a Super Six or Super Seven in the top division of Test cricket," Warne wrote in his column in London's The Times newspaper.
Ganguly or ponting who mentioned two tier system???

biased indian

International Coach
Shane Warne has declared his support for a two-division international system in which the stronger Test nations would no longer be required to play the weaker sides.
Shane warne will like india to be included in the second tier

then he wont have to bowl to them :p :p

and may be we will win more overseas series :cool:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
koch_cha said:
Ganguly or ponting who mentioned two tier system???
Methinks Shane could be a xenophobe,
looking inward, not out to the globe.
Saying that, did Ganguly
advocate two tiers - truly?
False memory? Next - anal probe!

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
<troll mode>Who gives a toss what drug cheat Warne thinks anymore?</troll mode>

:ph34r:

Would a two-tier system destroy the lesser nations I wonder, doubt they'd improve much playing against each other, surely the "promoted" side would just get spanked again anyway when facing the decent sides?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pedro Delgado said:

:ph34r:

Would a two-tier system destroy the lesser nations I wonder, doubt they'd improve much playing against each other, surely the "promoted" side would just get spanked again anyway when facing the decent sides?
But the same thing is liable to happen in any league that is made up of divisions....

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Pedro Delgado said:
?
No, he's not a drug cheat. You weren't in troll mode, you were in moron mode.