• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yussssss

With Patto every Test could be his last, so I'm so glad he'll get the start. Hoping he rips it up.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
article said:
while only a last-minute setback will prevent Pattinson from playing in his first Test since February 2016
Expecting him to do a Chris Old and break a rib sneezing or something on the morning of the match.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Commenting on Pattinson, Langer said: "It's a great story isn't it, coming back from where he was as a young bowler, the back surgeries, to more than likely being selected for this Test match, it's a great story."

So is he selected, or more than likely to be selected?
Barring a late mishap ie injury

Patto is back

Burgey

I just want to see those crazy eyes and facial expressions if some spud like Jason Roy tries to slog him early on.

Be so good to have him back. Hope he lasts the journey. Must be devastating to have so many injuries. He's been our Shane Bond thus far.

Spark

Global Moderator
yeh Patto!

Shame we can't put Khawaja out to pasture yet
He was on notice at the end of the summer for sure, but surely we've learned over the last ten years of Australian cricket that actually, batsman who average mid-40s are actually a valuable addition to the side (if not good to make the core of your batting) that we discard at our peril?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
He was on notice at the end of the summer for sure, but surely we've learned over the last ten years of Australian cricket that actually, batsman who average mid-40s are actually a valuable addition to the side (if not good to make the core of your batting) that we discard at our peril?
Oh yeah, I’m not advocating that we drop him. It’s just a shame that our batting isn’t better. You just know that when the pressure is on that Khawaja will bottle it

the big bambino

International Captain
People expect too much of Khawaja. Take last summer against India. He was under pressure to make up for the administrative screw up and bat for Smith, Warner as well as himself. Wasn't his fault but here you go Usman - fix it! Then there was the issue with his arseclown brother. Again not his fault. So in the end he stalled under all that pressure as he was bound to. He should've only have been measured against his own standard not the extra responsibilities forced on him and caused by by other people's follies. He's a good, solid batsman, more so at home. Plus he offers another really good thing in that he bats at 3 meaning Smith can afford to bat in the place he prefers at 4. What would Joe Root give for him?

So I don't really get why people wont ease up on him. We've got a few problems with this side but he's not one of them.

TheJediBrah

No Khawaja doesn't get a pass for being **** last summer just because we should have expected him to fail because he's mentally weak and the poor thing had too much pressure put on him

howardj

International Coach

Burgey

I understand the externality of his brother's craziness getting to him to a degree, but if the man was affected to the extent Bambino is suggesting, he should have stood himself down.

Generally speaking, I do think Usman is soft. He played that magnificent innings vs Pakistan to draw that test in the UAE, but that aside I can't recall seeing him bat us out of trouble or stand up when it mattered most at test level. I hope he proves me wrong this series, because for a player of his numbers batting at home in familiar conditions, his series vs India was bog average. He's lucky there's a paucity of options tbh, else I'd have marked his papers based on it. Such was the extent to which he was found wanting imho.

the big bambino

International Captain
No Khawaja doesn't get a pass for being **** last summer just because we should have expected him to fail because he's mentally weak and the poor thing had too much pressure put on him
One good thing about Langer is at least he hasn't said anything this ridiculous.

howardj

International Coach
SWaugh (who's on this tour) nailed Usman a couple of Summers ago when he described him as lacking hunger

As being very content