• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Can you blame them? You have the likes of Burgey saying only 1 Vic is allowed in the Aussie team so it just puts a lot of pressure on the other guys. Maxy had to contend with the white ball captain being a Vic.

This has been going on for a quite a while, Mark Waugh may have been the first to really force the 1 Vic policy when he tackled Matthew Elliott mid pitch. It made sense because Warne had to play.

The only Vic we can be certain has no issues with his health is Siddle.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Pucovski, Maxwell and now Maddinson? Without wanting to sound insensitive, what are they putting in the water there?
It's Victoria. They're all mentally ill, and even though Maddinson's from NSW it's a very virulent illness.
It does look rather suspicious though that all three who have recently had mental health issues have been Victorian.
Dudes. Really? With everything we are learning about mental health/illness and neuroscience, and everything that's been done to remove male mental health help seeking stigma, this is the best you can do?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dudes. Really? With everything we are learning about mental health/illness and neuroscience, and everything that's been done to remove male mental health help seeking stigma, this is the best you can do?
Why so serious man?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Why so serious man?
Because this is the sort of commentary that perpetuates the reluctance of men to say I'm struggling and I need some help and support. 45 Australian men suicide weekly.

But you know, nothing serious. 8-)

Gnske

Where was all this concern 10 years ago when Swiss bankers were hanging themselves at untold rates?

Being a high profile sports-person probably helps the ability to want or need to admit this though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Where was all this concern 10 years ago when Swiss bankers were hanging themselves at untold rates?

Being a high profile sports-person probably helps the ability to want or need to admit this though.
That felt like a more neutral situation.

stephen

My implication was that there might be something specific in the Victorian system which is making Victorian players more vulnerable to neutral health issues. Perhaps there's something toxic going on in the state management. It wasn't intended to be a cheap shot at Victoria.

But as I also said, it's probably just coincidence.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but it might be worth the Vics having a look to see if there is something in their set up over and above the pressure of pro sport which might be having an impact to some extent.

the big bambino

International Captain
Why so serious man?
Because this is the sort of commentary that perpetuates the reluctance of men to say I'm struggling and I need some help and support. 45 Australian men suicide weekly.

But you know, nothing serious. 8-)
Righty-o

Ha. Ok.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
If it’s 2-0 against Pakistan, there would be likely some changes in the XI, particularly amongst the quicks. It’ll be interesting if the tests only last a few days each anyhow, what option they use.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Why would there be changes to the XI if 2 nil up. It's Test cricket, only the best should play unless they have niggles.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why would there be changes to the XI if 2 nil up. It's Test cricket, only the best should play unless they have niggles.
I think TBP might be under the false impression that there are three Tests against Pakistan, and so it'd be a dead rubber.

Smashing one opposition shouldn't mean you under-estimate another, so the scoreline against Pakistan shouldn't really affect the selection against New Zealand.

Jarquis

Renshaw has the best part of 950 runs from his last 5 bats for Toombul in 2 Dayers. Yoinks.