• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

aussie tragic

International Captain
Good of Aus to clear the batting dead wood before the home summer. Paving the way for:

Warner
Burns
Labuschagne
Smith
Patterson
Pucovski

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Shows what we already know, what a joke the rankings are. NZ will fight their best of course but hardly be competitive unless we serve up greentops.
I'd say we'll be competitive but I think green tops would give us less chance. Cummins Hazelwood Patto/Siddle/Starc on naughty wickets? No thanks. Our best chance is if Boult can hoop it round corners and Wagner gets up a few. Ajaz Patel is also a decent quality left-arm spinner.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd say we'll be competitive but I think green tops would give us less chance. Cummins Hazelwood Patto/Siddle/Starc on naughty wickets? No thanks. Our best chance is if Boult can hoop it round corners and Wagner gets up a few. Ajaz Patel is also a decent quality left-arm spinner.
A greentop would bridge the gap between the bowling of the two sides. It becomes more about luck the more bowler-friendly the wicket is. See, Aus v NZ Hobart 2011.

morgieb

Yeah and New Zealand's batting seems the most suited to bowler-friendly wickets worldwide. Granted I'm not sure Latham's as good against pace as he is against spin.

Burgey

Good of Aus to clear the batting dead wood before the home summer. Paving the way for:

Warner
Burns
Labuschagne
Smith
Patterson
Pucovski
I know it's RU OK Day, but there's no way the young bloke gets a gig unless he's had the all clear from a mental health POV for over a season.

TheJediBrah

I could see it happening for a home test for sure. They took him on a tour to England with the A squad which you'd think would be a challenge. Not quite the same as a high-profile Test against . . . Pakistan? . .. but still

aussie tragic

International Captain
I know it's RU OK Day, but there's no way the young bloke gets a gig unless he's had the all clear from a mental health POV for over a season.
He was already picked in the Test squad for Sri Lanka and probably would have played if Patterson hadn't hit those 2 tons in the warm up game.

Plus, being selected to play for Australia and 'fulfill a life long dream' (his words) may actually do wonders for his mental health. He seemed to handle the A tour away from home and his support people pretty well.

Burgey

You come back from an illness/ injury, you prove you're fit to play before you're picked. That means he goes back and scores runs at Shield level instead of getting a rails run to a test cap because it'd make a happy story over at Beyond Blue. It doesn't matter if he's recovering from a stress fracture, a broken ****ing arm, concussion or a mental illness. I hope the kid makes it (provided he's the only Victorian picked, obviously) but let him score some runs at FC level over a season and get a call up like everyone else. The idea you hand out a test cap so it does wonders for a bloke's mental health is enough to warrant some psych testing itself tbh.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In the home series I'm hoping for:

Burns
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Bowlers

Khawaja has been out of form but I'd being him back if he shows form in the early shield rounds.

aussie tragic

International Captain
You come back from an illness/ injury, you prove you're fit to play before you're picked. That means he goes back and scores runs at Shield level instead of getting a rails run to a test cap because it'd make a happy story over at Beyond Blue. It doesn't matter if he's recovering from a stress fracture, a broken ****ing arm, concussion or a mental illness. I hope the kid makes it (provided he's the only Victorian picked, obviously) but let him score some runs at FC level over a season and get a call up like everyone else. The idea you hand out a test cap so it does wonders for a bloke's mental health is enough to warrant some psych testing itself tbh.
This is what I don't get. He's not coming back from anything. He has just played and done well on the Australia A tour and he made 649 runs @ 54.08 in the last shield season (2 hundreds and 3 fifties). So he has the same chance as any other bat facing up in the first test of the summer (i.e. all will play about 2-3 shield games to impress).

And the last sentence is ridiculous. You are the one who specifically said he should not play because of mental health. My statement saying it may help him was only in response to that.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I am averse to the whole concept of picking batsman who have limited experience at First Class level. 2 or 3 good Shield games will not be sufficient to sway me on this one, but runs over the course of a full season probably would. The talent is clearly there, but taking a cautious approach with him seems the right thing for his career long term.

Nobody wants to see him Hameeding

Burgey

This is what I don't get. He's not coming back from anything. He has just played and done well on the Australia A tour and he made 649 runs @ 54.08 in the last shield season (2 hundreds and 3 fifties). So he has the same chance as any other bat facing up in the first test of the summer (i.e. all will play about 2-3 shield games to impress).

And the last sentence is ridiculous. You are the one who specifically said he should not play because of mental health. My statement saying it may help him was only in response to that.
I'm not saying he shouldn't play, I'm saying he should play Shield cricket and prove he's up to the rigors of doing so before he's picked. As I say, I hope he's fighting fit and good to go, provided no other Victorian is in the side (which should be the first consideration tbh).

aussie tragic

International Captain
Just for info, Pucovski has played 10 shield games scoring 872 runs @ 54.50 with 3 hundreds and 3 fifties. Victoria play 4 shield games before the first test so he has plenty of opportunity to shine.

TheJediBrah

I'm not saying he shouldn't play, I'm saying he should play Shield cricket and prove he's up to the rigors of doing so before he's picked. As I say, I hope he's fighting fit and good to go, provided no other Victorian is in the side (which should be the first consideration tbh).
Then it's a bit of a pointless statement to make because I'm sure those advocating for Pucovski in the Test team are assuming that he earns the spot by impressing in the first few Shield rounds, rather than say "pick him right now regardless"

I am well aware. 14 career Shield games tops isn't sufficient imo
How many had Ponting played?

Burgey

Fancy comparing this kid to Ponting. FMD.

As for your first comment, I don't know that they are, they're just advocating his inclusion it seems to me. But again, if Patto plays, it rules other Victorians out. That's the rule.