• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

Victor Ian

International Coach
Irony there is that Greg Chappell had 4 Australian and 2 English first class seasons behind him before he made his test debut.
He probably felt he denied a few seasons in test cricket because of that wait?

Identifying young talent and fast tracking them means you get a few more years of a great batsman in your team. Look at Tendulkar. Imagine if he had been made to wait until mid twenties to come into the team. There'd be no longevity points.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Huh?

The knocks on Uzi have been related to stuff other than his willingness to work on his batting

The latter is what Robbo implied
I was talking about what we are seeing on the field, not whatever furphy is coming out of the team.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gavin Robertson mentioned yesterday that he had heard whispers from within the Aussie camp about Khawaja’s lack of work ethic

Robbo is Steve Waugh’s best mate

Tontine might struggle to make it back
How’s Robbo going? Was doing it tough with a cancer diagnosis a few months back

Spark

Global Moderator
I was talking about what we are seeing on the field, not whatever furphy is coming out of the team.
Tbf you would be forgiven to think he isn't exactly putting the hard yards in wrt his fielding too, and it's cost us a few times

stephen

Anybody who thinks Head is a long-term solution is a bit delusional, tbh.
A 25 year old who averages 45 in test cricket isn't a long term solution?

Look I've been critical of Head's technique on numerous occasions but his output and ability are not in question.

Compton

International Debutant

Look I've been critical of Head's technique on numerous occasions but his output and ability are not in question.
Seems mad to write him off when he averages over 55 in 2019.

TheJediBrah

Anybody who thinks Head is a long-term solution is a bit delusional, tbh.
haha yes

seriously though, for all the **** Wade was copping for getting out how he did, Head's dismissal was much more worrying. Wade had the right idea, just executed poorly and chose the wrong ball. I don't know what you do with a Test match batsman that sits at the crease missing straight balls on leg stump that no one should be missing. Not the first time he's done it this series either.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain

Lets start with the premise that he averages 30 outside of Australia.

Averages 31 if you take away the series against Sri Lanka

and averages less than 40 in FC cricket.

Last edited:

stephen

Sure. But right now he's doing better than pretty much everyone else at test level. I expect he'll go through a form drought which will make or break him as a player but to say he's not the future is laughable. For all his technical weaknesses he's immensely talented. Looks a bit ordinary next to Smith but who wouldn't?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year

Head was thrown into Shield cricket at 18, in an especially dire SACA lineup at that, his first two or three seasons were somewhat of a struggle. Has been averaging over 40 for sure over the last couple of years. Citing Head's FC average to try and discredit him is absolute junk analysis

Burgey

It doesn’t matter who bats in the middle order, as long as it isn’t a Victorian. They’re all woeful. Last decent bat they had was Ponsford.