Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 659
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Australian test selection 2019-2020

  1. #256
    Hall of Fame Member GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    16,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Gob View Post
    Labuschagne reminds me a fair bit of 2013 Smith. Not saying he is going to turn in to a batting cyborg but there are quite a few similarities such as neither really dominating first class cricket (ok Marnus did ok in county) but both looked good player with fast hands, quick feet and comfortable against both pace and spin
    You do know Steve was averaging 50 in the shield right

  2. #257
    International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,859
    Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post
    You do know Steve was averaging 50 in the shield right
    Actually he averaged 37 in 2012-13 the year before he was recalled. And averaged 41 the year before that.

  3. #258
    State Vice-Captain burr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,411
    Khawaja is infuriating. Cummins is inspiring. That's all I have.
    'It is hard to recall a batsman quite so serene, so unrushed, so unflappable.' Chris Ryan on ... look to the left. Ahhhh.

  4. #259
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    the guy's trash bro
    Posts
    48,303
    smith didn't score a FC ton in the 12 months prior to his recall in India.

    which is odd because you can only pick players who are In Form iirc
    Dan likes this.
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...cricket-legacy

    Brad McNamara ‏@bbuzzmc
    Will say this once and then nothing else. Defamation laws quite clear in Aus.be careful.


  5. #260
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    54,289
    Weren't those seasons before Smith's recall the seasons of Butterworth et al averaging about 20 in the Shield on ridiculous greentops? In that light, averaging ~40 isn't so bad.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

  6. #261
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    63*
    Posts
    21,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Weren't those seasons before Smith's recall the seasons of Butterworth et al averaging about 20 in the Shield on ridiculous greentops? In that light, averaging ~40 isn't so bad.
    Yeah in particular in 2012/13 there were **** all batsmen doing well at the time. That season only Ponting, Rogers, Haddin and Hughes averaged over 45 out of those who played a significant part of the season, and only Doolan averaged between 40-45.

    2011/12 a bit different but from memory NSW had some real problems that year. Still averaged 41.

    So while Smith's form wasn't necessarily "pick me" by the time he was staking a claim, there were **** all other options given out of the 45+ guys only one of the others were under the age of 35 (with Ponting having already retired from international cricket), and he was already in the side.
    Last edited by morgieb; 24-08-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

  7. #262
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    54,289
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Yeah in particular in 2012/13 there were **** all batsmen doing well at the time. That season only Ponting, Rogers, Haddin and Hughes averaged over 45 out of those who played a significant part of the season, and only Doolan averaged between 40-45.

    2011/12 a bit different but from memory NSW had some real problems that year. Still averaged 41.

    So while Smith's form wasn't necessarily "pick me" by the time he was staking a claim, there were **** all other options given out of the 45+ guys only one of the others were under the age of 35 (with Ponting having already retired from international cricket), and he was already in the side.
    Yeah that semi-famous cricinfo article by Rogers comes to mind

  8. #263
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    24,659
    I know this is about Test selection, but I wonder if Labuschagne will come into ODI contention.

  9. #264
    International Coach stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    12,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Yeah that semi-famous cricinfo article by Rogers comes to mind
    Link?

  10. #265
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    63*
    Posts
    21,967
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Link?
    This, IIRC.

  11. #266
    International Coach ajdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    10,144
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I know this is about Test selection, but I wonder if Labuschagne will come into ODI contention.
    that’s matador bbqs one day cup 2016/17 player of the tournament marnus labuschagne to you noofers
    NUFAN and Shady Slim like this.
    brad mcnamara

  12. #267
    International Coach stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    12,622
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    This, IIRC.
    Thanks. Very interesting. Particularly his comments about Katich, which is how Smith had started to bat.

  13. #268
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    the guy's trash bro
    Posts
    48,303
    So who's getting dropped for this

  14. #269
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    24,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    So who's getting dropped for this
    This is not what i think should happen but I can see:

    Out: Harris Wade Pattinson
    In: Smith Marsh Starc

    Theyll want an extra bowling option and will say Patto is rested although it will be due to his inability to demolish the tail.

  15. #270
    State Vice-Captain burr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,411
    Starc will play for sure. None of warner harris Khawaja or wade could have cause for complaint if dropped which says a lot.

Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Australian test selection 2018/19
    By Red Hill in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1488
    Last Post: 31-03-2019, 03:43 AM
  2. Australian Test Selection Thread 2017 - 2018
    By Red Hill in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 660
    Last Post: 05-04-2018, 07:47 AM
  3. Australian Test Selection Thread 2017 - 2018
    By Red Hill in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 424
    Last Post: 30-06-2017, 02:05 AM
  4. Australian Test Selection 2016/2017
    By Red Hill in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1254
    Last Post: 17-01-2017, 10:16 PM
  5. Australian test selection thread 2015/16
    By Red Hill in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 872
    Last Post: 01-03-2016, 01:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •