• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
If Pucovski does make the test team it better be on weight of runs over a few FC games. He already seems to be getting the PONI treatment by and large, I don't think that is a wise way of thinking

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Pucovski does make the test team it better be on weight of runs over a few FC games. He already seems to be getting the PONI treatment by and large, I don't think that is a wise way of thinking
Agreed. Can easily see him getting picked too early when he needs to work on learning his game first.

stephen

Pucovski bats 3 for Vics and opened during the Aussie A tour so I wouldn't be surprised to see him open for Vics this year. Patterson should bat 4, but seeing Smith is there 5 is probably right.
The selectors have made it clear that they basically aren't going to pick a batsman who doesn't bat top 4 at shield level. Patterson is fine at 5/6.

Warner
Khawaja
Labaschagne
Smith
Head
Wade

Is the best top 6 we can field with the squad we have IMO.

I still think Khawaja is better than Labaschagne and think back in Australia our best top 6 is:

Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
not the worst call actually, Burns at home in batting conditions against weaker sides (NZ and who else this summer?) has historically been a good combination

the big bambino

International Captain
I think he'll revert to mean soon enough.
Currently Labuschagne is averaging 38 in fc and test cricket. Burns 40 in both. Its pretty close. I think Marnus has been improving. I remember responding to a question from a saffer on here asking about him. Ordinary fc player was my response and not ever likely to play internationals. Then he scored some late season tons at the time of sandpapergate and there he was playing for Australia and me watching with a serve of humble pie in front of me. Since then he's had a hard Shield season but success at county level. Now three half tons in tests.

It could be he's improving and he hasn't really established his "mean" as yet. You are saying he'll revert to the form of his less experienced years when it may be he's benefitted from those years and is coming into his prime. You don't know. You're preferred top six isn't too bad but I think you'll agree its still wobbly. Almost 30 it may be that Burns has reached his peak form and the best we can hope for is a few years where he is almost as good at what Marnus is doing now. Which wouldn't be bad. Warner has to prove himself. Same with Usman. Patterson isn't nailed on by any means. Neither is Travis really. I think there's still plenty of room for an in form and hopefully improving Labuschagne in our top six even when we get back to Oz.

stephen

I tend to be of the belief that players who aren't good at shield level won't be good at a higher level. Bowlers can be an exception because usually if they're really good they'll be fast tracked into the national side and they rely more on natural ability than experience.

But batsmen should spend at least a season or two averaging over 40 before they're given a go at test level because they need time for their game you mature. So i personally think Labuschagne still needs a season of good shield returns before he'll come properly good at test level. It wouldn't even surprise me if he got no runs in the last two years and ended up averaging 25 for the series.

Last edited:

stephen

If he will revert to mean, why would you drop him and not everyone else who is below mean?
I posted who I thought our best top 6 is in the middle term. I don't think Labuschagne is there yet.

Last edited:

mr_mister

He's looked pretty damn good in his 3 digs so far. And was leading run scorer in div 2 county at the time of test selection. I definitely think it could be he's still improving more than he's in a random bit of form that could end any minute.

He also got an 81 against SL in January so it's 4 fifties in his last 6 test innings which is good

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Labbas is definitely in our best XI now. He's done enough considering how terrible the rest have been, apart from Smith. I would almost say he's the 2nd batsman picked atm, Warner hasn't done enough.

stephen

I think Labbas is definitely in our best XI now. He's done enough considering how terrible the rest have been, apart from Smith. I would almost say he's the 2nd batsman picked atm, Warner hasn't done enough.
Head is easily above him, as is Smith. Warner too probably. Still, a case could easily be made that he's the third batsman picked behind Smith and Head. Certainly Harris and Wade are only there by the skins of their teeth.

stephen

For all his technical faults Head has had a very consistent start to his test career.