• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weren't those seasons before Smith's recall the seasons of Butterworth et al averaging about 20 in the Shield on ridiculous greentops? In that light, averaging ~40 isn't so bad.
Yeah in particular in 2012/13 there were **** all batsmen doing well at the time. That season only Ponting, Rogers, Haddin and Hughes averaged over 45 out of those who played a significant part of the season, and only Doolan averaged between 40-45.

2011/12 a bit different but from memory NSW had some real problems that year. Still averaged 41.

So while Smith's form wasn't necessarily "pick me" by the time he was staking a claim, there were **** all other options given out of the 45+ guys only one of the others were under the age of 35 (with Ponting having already retired from international cricket), and he was already in the side.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah in particular in 2012/13 there were **** all batsmen doing well at the time. That season only Ponting, Rogers, Haddin and Hughes averaged over 45 out of those who played a significant part of the season, and only Doolan averaged between 40-45.

2011/12 a bit different but from memory NSW had some real problems that year. Still averaged 41.

So while Smith's form wasn't necessarily "pick me" by the time he was staking a claim, there were **** all other options given out of the 45+ guys only one of the others were under the age of 35 (with Ponting having already retired from international cricket), and he was already in the side.
Yeah that semi-famous cricinfo article by Rogers comes to mind

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I know this is about Test selection, but I wonder if Labuschagne will come into ODI contention.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So who's getting dropped for this
This is not what i think should happen but I can see:

Out: Harris Wade Pattinson
In: Smith Marsh Starc

Theyll want an extra bowling option and will say Patto is rested although it will be due to his inability to demolish the tail.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Starc will play for sure. None of warner harris Khawaja or wade could have cause for complaint if dropped which says a lot.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

Theyll want an extra bowling option and will say Patto is rested although it will be due to his inability to demolish the tail.

Agreed. Need Starc in there to finish the job off. Marsh gives us some bowling relief and is going to give as much as Wade with the bat, tbh.

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Marsh
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Starc
Lyon

Fkn angry that Patteron and Pukovski aren't there, as I think they're better options than what we've got. Although putting them into the middle of a live Ashes series probably isn't ideal.

Khawaja gets the last two tests, and should be opening, and I'd say if he doesn't significantly contribute to us winning one of them, he's done.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't think he showed much, but hyper stiff on Harris to get the arse after one test, especially when Khawaja has pretty much done squat in three.

Burgey

Picking Marsh is basically a capitulation. Just concede and go home.

Harris
Warner
Pillow
Smith.exe
Marnus
Head

Or one of Pillow or Harris goes and they move up a spot with wade staying

If you’re going to pick Marsh you May as well leave TPC out, such is the scale of his negative impact on any test

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

? He didn't get much of a crack after the Broad dismissal. Don't think he bowled once the target was under 50. Stokes didn't get a single boundary off him during that last wicket stand was the other 3 he got after

Burgey

Also, Starc playing increases Lyons impact substantially by creating rough outside off for right handers. Something to keep in mind but I suppose they’ll look at the deck first

morgieb

Yeah had Starc played we would've taken the last wicket. Of course we probably wouldn't have bowled them out for 67 either, but I think they'll bring him in and England score 400.

Really hope Marsh doesn't play. Yes an all-rounder would've helped here, but you actually have to score runs to be worthy. Otherwise you may as well pick all four of Cummins, Starc, Pattinson and Hazlewood (+ Lyon's spin)

Can see an argument to drop all of Pillow, Harris the choker and Wade. They're lucky that there's only two backup batsman in the squad (unless Marsh counts), and Bancroft has already been discarded of.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Just saying its a classic move by the Australian heirachy seeing an all-rounder dominating and thinking we will 'match fire with fire' and bring in Marsh.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
? He didn't get much of a crack after the Broad dismissal. Don't think he bowled once the target was under 50. Stokes didn't get a single boundary off him during that last wicket stand was the other 3 he got after
I thought his 4 balls at Leach were quite ordinary, which is probably why he was taken off.

morgieb

Just saying its a classic move by the Australian heirachy seeing an all-rounder dominating and thinking we will 'match fire with fire' and bring in Marsh.
Ha! It really, really is.

I hope if he is picked he'll prove me wrong. I just cannot see it happening in English conditions.