• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

Gob

International Coach
Wont happen in England but i'd like to see something like this for the Estrayan summer

Warner
Khawaja
KP
Smith
Head *
Labuschagne
Carey +
Cummins
Starc/Pattinson
Hazlewood/Richardson
Lyon

My views will of course change by the end of the ashes

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wont happen in England but i'd like to see something like this for the Estrayan summer

Warner
Khawaja
KP
Smith
Head *
Labuschagne
Carey +
Cummins
Starc/Pattinson
Hazlewood/Richardson
Lyon

My views will of course change by the end of the ashes
You have me except for Head. I'm still not sold on him as a Test-class batsman, let alone as captain. Also it's funny how one innings has completely changed my opinion on Labuschagne.

Spark

Global Moderator
You have me except for Head. I'm still not sold on him as a Test-class batsman, let alone as captain. Also it's funny how one innings has completely changed my opinion on Labuschagne.
I mean obviously I'm not sold on him having, like, a brilliant 80 Test career yet, but "actually looks like a competent Test standard batsman from a technical POV" is a massive improvement over other alternatives who have gotten a fair few games of late.

flibbertyjibber

Given a choice of Labuschagne or many of the others picked recently it has to be Labuschagne. He may not be the best player but he looks like he has a decent enough technique and has it up top which is probably the most important thing of the lot.

flibbertyjibber

Reminded me of Collingwood in a way, not the greatest player but will get the umpeenth ounce out of his cricketing career by being bloody minded and stubborn.

Compton

International Debutant
Given that he averages around 50 after 10 matches, its fair to say that Head is the last human batsman who should be doubted in this line-up.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Honestly the Labuschagne story is one that I think needs to be told. I would like his good mate Marcuss to narrate.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reminded me of Collingwood in a way, not the greatest player but will get the umpeenth ounce out of his cricketing career by being bloody minded and stubborn.
Looks a bit more naturally gifted than Collingwood imo. Has a wider range of shots in his arsenal.

It's odd he averages so low in the shield. Lucky his potential shone through to the selectors

Gob

International Coach
Labuschagne reminds me a fair bit of 2013 Smith. Not saying he is going to turn in to a batting cyborg but there are quite a few similarities such as neither really dominating first class cricket (ok Marnus did ok in county) but both looked good player with fast hands, quick feet and comfortable against both pace and spin

Burgey

Any dissertations this morning about how he should or shouldn't move at the crease in case he puts the bowler off?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Labuschagne reminds me a fair bit of 2013 Smith. Not saying he is going to turn in to a batting cyborg but there are quite a few similarities such as neither really dominating first class cricket (ok Marnus did ok in county) but both looked good player with fast hands, quick feet and comfortable against both pace and spin
You do know Steve was averaging 50 in the shield right

Spikey

smith didn't score a FC ton in the 12 months prior to his recall in India.

which is odd because you can only pick players who are In Form iirc

Spark

Global Moderator
Weren't those seasons before Smith's recall the seasons of Butterworth et al averaging about 20 in the Shield on ridiculous greentops? In that light, averaging ~40 isn't so bad.