• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW decides the greatest ODI batsman ever (submit your own top 20 list)

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sangakkara being ridiculously overrated. He was meh for a very very long time and had a few amazing years at the very end. He's nowhere close to as good as guys like ponting. It's like people haven't even watched his career and are judging him purely by the 2015 wc.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sangakkara being ridiculously overrated. He was meh for a very very long time and had a few amazing years at the very end. He's nowhere close to as good as guys like ponting. It's like people haven't even watched his career and are judging him purely by the 2015 wc.
Yeah, it's difficult to rate him. Was very dicey about that. Don't even know if I rate him above Symonds actually. Gotta edit that list.

cnerd123

likes this
i'm definitely overrating him because he's a nice batsman to watch tbh. Helps he held the 'most tons in WC' record before Rohit broke it.

mr_mister

Taking the piss with Fairbrother surely? he's ok for England but I mean from 00's Australia alone you've got the likes of Martyn, Hussey, Clarke, Symonds, Hayden who are all clearly superior.
Fairbrother faced way harder bowlers than that lot, and his career occurred in what was essentially the dark age for English cricket, which I respect him greatly for

harsh.ag

I want to rate Symonds higher than 21st (where he is right now), but something stops me. Dunno why. Maybe I need RedHill to write a post extolling his virtues.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
At one stage Twose was 3rd in the ODI batting rankings - same as Taylor and Williamson's highest (Turner reached no1 and Crowe 2).

Fairbrother's highest ever ranking was 7th. Would he have ever made an ODI World XI?

mr_mister

Maybe in '92? By '99 he was basically just budget Bevan(though he had an awesome 98/99 tri series), but in '92 he was probably the best finisher going around

And I knew that about Twose, but yeah for whatever reason I prefer Fairbrother. At the end of the day I'm only giving him 2 points it won't affect much

Last edited:

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Jayasurya and De Silva >>> sanga

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1 Viv Richards
2 Virat Kohli
3 AB de Villiers
4 Sachin Tendulkar
5 Ricky Ponting
6 MS Dhoni
7 Michael Bevan
8 Rohit Sharma
9 Sanath Jayasuriya
10 Saeed Anwar
11 Adam Gilchrist
12 Brian Lara
13 Mark Waugh
14 Saurav Ganguly
15 Inzaman Ul Haq
16 Joe Root
17 Aravinda de Silva
18 Kane Williamson
19 Kumar Sangakarra
20 Lance Klusener

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Currently, 54 different names have appeared and 41 of those have appeared at least twice.
I think you can just take those 41 names then. It will be almost the same set of people who will vote as well, so the 20 will be coming from these 41 only.

ScottyMuser

Cricket Spectator
If it is still up for a suggestion:

1) Viv Richards
2) ABDV
3) Kohli
4) Sachin
5) Dhoni
6) Bevan
7) Gilchrist
8) Amla
9) Ponting