• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW decides the greatest ODI batsman ever (submit your own top 20 list)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Terrible rating. Might have had something going for it except his WC was bog average for a supposed ATG, especially when it was there for the winning. He basically Amla'ed it, and until he does better at one belongs no higher than Hashim as an ODI player.

aussie tragic

International Captain
You just have to look at your own list. Lara and Jones over Tendulkar. Sanga,Chappell and Hussey over Kohli. Difficult not to see a pattern here :)
Yep, I never liked or rated Tendulker so to have him at 6 is pretty high for me actually. Kholi also rated appropriately since all the others have finished their career in a much tougher batting era, and who knows how Kohli will end up (same reason I have Root so low for now).

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
You know I wonder what Burgey thinks about the importance of WC KO games in evaluating an ODI player.

He doesn't talk about it enough.

Burgey

Look at this numbskull. One day he bitches about taking threads off topic, the next he bitches when you stay on topic.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
You know I wonder what Burgey thinks about the importance of WC KO games in evaluating an ODI player.

He doesn't talk about it enough.
Just the final and not all WC KO games. He always clubs Tendulkar to the failed group as someone who failed in knock-outs when he has done well in the semifinals and just failed in one final.

cnerd123

likes this
Look at this numbskull. One day he bitches about taking threads off topic, the next he bitches when you stay on topic.
Repetitive posting is against the forum rules Burgey

Might I suggest that if you have nothing new or interesting to add to the discussion that you just stop posting?

cnerd123

likes this
Just the final and not all WC KO games. He always clubs Tendulkar to the failed group as someone who failed in knock-outs when he has done well in the semifinals and just failed in one final.
Yea and he completely forgot Mahela Jayawardena existed

Just some loose excuse for him to push his agenda. He likes to instigate and cause arguements and derail threads. Not much else a man his age can do for amusement I suppose.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Yea and he completely forgot Mahela Jayawardena existed

Just some loose excuse for him to push his agenda. He likes to instigate and cause arguements and derail threads. Not much else a man his age can do for amusement I suppose.
Just like you are doing now?

TheJediBrah

Might I suggest that if you have nothing new or interesting to add to the discussion that you just stop posting?
You and Burgey fighting like a couple on the wrong time of their synced-up cycles is repetitive posting tbh

Burgey

He failed in two finals. ffs, facts matter.

Burgey

Why don't you report it then mate?

Burgey

Yep, I never liked or rated Tendulker so to have him at 6 is pretty high for me actually. Kholi also rated appropriately since all the others have finished their career in a much tougher batting era, and who knows how Kohli will end up (same reason I have Root so low for now).
Be careful here mate or you'll end up on the wrong side of the arbiter who decides what can and can't be posted.

FMD since the **** grabbed a microphone and called the WC final online while watching it on TV, he thinks he's ****ing John Arlott. Just needs to get in the ****ing bin.

vcs

Burgey vs. ***** is only "entertaining" (in the loosest sense of the word) when it involves MasterChef, Hong Kong street food and pie floaters.

Burgey

Mate, just sitting here minding my own business and he comes along with this dross. If I was a dobber, I'd have reported him. But I'm not. I apologise for ***** stinking up this thread, which has seriously had some good discussion.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Might have a crack meself

Sachin
Kohli
Bevan
Viv
ABDV
Ponting
De Silva
Jayasuriya
Dhoni
M Waugh
Rohit
Gilchrist
Anwar
Buttler
Jones
Abbas
Lara
Haynes
Fairbrother
Lamb

TheJediBrah

Taking the piss with Fairbrother surely? he's ok for England but I mean from 00's Australia alone you've got the likes of Martyn, Hussey, Clarke, Symonds, Hayden who are all clearly superior.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I find it really hard to pick number 7-20. The top 6 pick themselves for me, but I would have like to sit down and do more research before finalising the order.

I picked 7-20 basically by looking up a bunch of different stats, and picking out top performers whose names also stick out to me. So it's a bit of favourtism and biase, and a bit erratic in terms of how i arranged them.

Top 20 ODI batsmen

Sachin
Bevan
MSD
Viv Richards
Kohli
Dean Jones
---
ABDV
Ponting
Kumar Sangakarra
Saurav Ganguly
Inzamam Ul Haq
Adam Gilchrist
Saeed Anwar
Zaheer Abbas
Tillikeratne Dilshan
Sanath Jayasuriya
Rohit Sharma
Andrew Symonds
Shakib Al Hasan
Shahid Afridi

Shout out to Brian Lara who probably deserves to be in this list somewhere. Arguably above Afridi and Shakib some might say.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
01. Viv
02. Sachin
03. Kohli
04. ABdV
05. MSD
06. Bevan
07. Ponting
08. Lara
09. Jayasuriya
10. Abbas
11. Rohit
12. Hussey
13. Aravinda
14. Anwar
15. Amla
16. Symonds
17. Ganguly
18. Crowe
19. Root
20. Clive Lloyd

This was really difficult. Really tough on Deano, Gilly, Williamson, MWaugh, Dhawan, Sanga, Watson, McCullum, Inzi, Jayawardene, Warner, Gayle, Sehwag.

Feel Lara, Abbas, Rohit have been underrated on this thread.

Last edited: