• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW decides the greatest ODI batsman ever (submit your own top 20 list)

aussie tragic

International Captain
1. Viv Richards
2. AB de villiers
3. Ponting
4. Jones
5. Lara
6. Tendulker
7. Greg Chappell
8. Sangakkara
9. Bevan
10. Hussey
11. Kohli
12. Zaheer Abbas
13. Miandad
14. Greenidge
15. Haynes
16. Mark Waugh
17. Gilchrist
18. Root
19. Gayle
20. Sehwag

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
1.Viv Richards
2.Virat Kohli
3.Sachin Tendulkar
4.AB Devilliers
5.Ricky Ponting
6.Michael Bevan
7.MS Dhoni
8.Rohit Sharma
9.Brian Lara
10.Dean Jones
11.Zaheer Abbas
12.Gordon Greenidge
13.Saeed Anwar
14.Andrew Symonds
15.Ross Taylor
16.Javed Miandad
17.Shikhar Dhawan
18.David Warner
19.Kane Williamson
20.Desmond Haynes

h_hurricane

Look, it's a ****ing genuinely held belief. I'll be careful here, because pointing that out to the last empty header who questioned it got me an inexplicable seven day ban. But it is. You don't have to agree with it, but it's a genuinely held opinion I happen to have. If I wanted to base my list around meaningless JAMODIs, it would look different. But I don't, so it doesn't. If you want to put up other people's line ups in a bilateral series for the Coca Cola Cup in Sharjah in 1998, then fine, they'll probably win. But if you want to put them up against another ATG side in a final which actually matters like a WC, then the other outfit will fall around on the floor laughing at them, because they all throw up on themselves.

I mean, imagine Virat "What's-Your-Emergency?" Kohli walking in with a WC final on the line and having to face a Garner or a McGrath. The bowlers would be fighting each other to get the ball ffs. You'd want to invoke the mercy rule.
Interested to know how you would rate yourself as a poster. Despite making 64K posts, you went missing when it mattered the most in WC SF. Just curious, no offenses meant :)

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
1. Sachin
2. Viv
3. ABDV
4. Kohli
5. Dhoni
6. Lara
7. Ponting
8. Bevan
9. Abbas
10. Jones
11. Crowe
12. Lloyd
13. Jayasurya
14. Rohit
15. G.Chappell
16. Waugh Jr
17. De Silva
18. Anwar
19. Hussey
20. Inzy

Miandad , Gilly, Azhar , Amla.. unlucky

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interested to know how you would rate yourself as a poster. Despite making 64K posts, you went missing when it mattered the most in WC SF. Just curious, no offenses meant :)
I was enforceably indisposed owing to appalling, biased moderation. Believe me, I don’t go missing when Australia loses. Never have, never will.

cnerd123

likes this
The true way to mess one of these up is to rank Ian Harvey at number 1

In fact, I might just do that..

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
V Kohli
AB de Villiers
SR Tendulkar
IVA Richards
HM Amla
MG Bevan
JE Root
RG Sharma
MS Dhoni
RT Ponting
KC Sangakkara
KS Williamson
JH Kallis
DA Warner
LRPL Taylor
S Dhawan
Zaheer Abbas
BC Lara
CG Greenidge
F du Plessis

Burgey

DoG you’ve literally got as your top three blokes who’ve tanked massively in WC KOs.

h_hurricane

V Kohli
AB de Villiers
SR Tendulkar
IVA Richards
HM Amla
MG Bevan
JE Root
RG Sharma
MS Dhoni
RT Ponting
KC Sangakkara
KS Williamson
JH Kallis
DA Warner
LRPL Taylor
S Dhawan
Zaheer Abbas
BC Lara
CG Greenidge
F du Plessis
There must be some complex formula behind this. As someone crazy about statistics, I would like to know more about this.

trundler

People are not giving Amla due credit. Granted he was a JAMODI bully but he was statistically as good as Kohli for a long time.

aussie tragic

International Captain
People are not giving Amla due credit. Granted he was a JAMODI bully but he was statistically as good as Kohli for a long time.
So why did you rank Kholi 3 and Amla only 13th

Viv Richards

Sachin Tendulkar
Virat Kohli
AB De Villiers
Ricky Ponting

MS Dhoni
Michael Bevan
Dean Jones
Javed Miandad
Clive Lloyd
Rohit Sharma
Michael Hussey
Hashim Amla
Gordon Greenidge
Ross Taylor
Martin Crowe
Brian Lara
Saeed Anwar
Adam Gilchrist

Lamb just missed outl

btw, you only named 19 so I guess Lamb doesn't miss out after all ;)

trundler

Because he fell away and has done absolutely nothing in ICC tournaments. Kohli at least had a decent WC. Have him just beside Rohit Sharma, the other standout opener. And thanks for pointing that out. Must've left out someone after the edit.

trundler

Viv Richards

Sachin Tendulkar
Virat Kohli
AB De Villiers
Ricky Ponting

MS Dhoni
Michael Bevan
Dean Jones
Brian Lara
Javed Miandad
Clive Lloyd
Rohit Sharma
Michael Hussey
Desmond Haynes
Hashim Amla
Gordon Greenidge
Ross Taylor
Martin Crowe
Saeed Anwar
Adam Gilchrist

Root, Lamb, Warner, Inzimam and Aravinda unlucky.

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular
Spend 10 years on this forum discussing how only WC Final and semi-final counts . Then don't include the only cricketer who has century in both these matches in your list . :laugh::laugh:

Mahela Jayawardene