Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 320
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: CW decides the greatest ODI batsman ever (submit your own top 20 list)

  1. #241
    International Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Unzud (aka NZ)
    Posts
    3,338
    Grant Elliot 84* v SA and 83 v Aus.

    That's an average of 167 in World Cup knockouts.

    Sorry Viv, but we have our ODI batting GOAT.
    Last edited by Fuller Pilch; 14-08-2019 at 12:54 AM.
    zorax, Burgey, vcs and 1 others like this.

  2. #242
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap Finn Keighl View Post
    Between 1990-94
    Only 2 batsmen avgd above 40 at 80 plus SR

    Azhar 42 at 81
    Ranatunga 43 at 82
    How does that compare with your earlier claim that Lara was the best batsmen from 1990-1994?

  3. #243
    State 12th Man Pap Finn Keighl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    india
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
    How does that compare with your earlier claim that Lara was the best batsmen from 1990-1994?
    93-97
    Lara 51 at 82
    No other batsman managed 45 at 75
    Also he was ranked number 1 odi Batsman for straight 7 or so years. ( Most for any ? )

  4. #244
    International Coach ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    11,313
    There was a time when average >40 at SR > 80 was really rate. At one time around 1998 or so only 3 had that distinction - Richards, Tendulkar, Abbas. Another reason why Abbas should be ranked high in this exercise.
    Last edited by ankitj; 14-08-2019 at 10:05 AM.
    zorax likes this.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*


  5. #245
    International Coach ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    11,313

  6. #246
    State 12th Man Pap Finn Keighl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    india
    Posts
    742
    Richards , Anwar , Abbas

  7. #247
    State 12th Man Pap Finn Keighl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    india
    Posts
    742
    Make it 1997 January 1 , if you want Sachin instead of Anwar.

  8. #248
    International Coach ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    11,313
    Ah OK, might have been 1997 when I observed that.
    OverratedSanity likes this.

  9. #249
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap Finn Keighl View Post
    93-97
    Lara 51 at 82
    No other batsman managed 45 at 75
    Also he was ranked number 1 odi Batsman for straight 7 or so years. ( Most for any ? )
    What are you on about?

    You literally said:
    Early - mid 90s Lara
    95-99 Bevan , Sachin
    2000-04 Sachin
    05-09 Dhoni , Hussey
    10-14 Abdv , Dhoni , Amla , Kohli
    So that presumably means Lara dominated 90-95 when it turns out only two batsmen averaged 45+ and S/R 75+ between 90-94, and neither of them were named Brian Lara.
    OverratedSanity likes this.

  10. #250
    State 12th Man Pap Finn Keighl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    india
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
    What are you on about?

    You literally said:


    So that presumably means Lara dominated 90-95 when it turns out only two batsmen averaged 45+ and S/R 75+ between 90-94, and neither of them were named Brian Lara.
    How is 90-95 early-mid 90s ?
    I couldn't remember exact time period ,that's why I said early (90s) - mid 90s .
    93 is in early 90s , 97 is in mid 90s.. afaik .
    If I am mistaken , I am sorry .. but the fact remains Lara stats were extra ordinary for the period.

    For 90-94 , I said 40 at 80 not 45 at 75 .. iirc

  11. #251
    International Coach stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    12,124
    Prioritising strike rates in analysis of players really should take the home country of the player into account.

    It's all well and good saying that Sachin had an extraordinary strike rate (which he did) but then in the same breath not acknowledging that he also played half his matches in a country with short boundaries and flat roads which artificially inflated batsmen's stats.

    Across all ODIs in history (regardless of teams playing), India has been the fastest country to score runs in, ave 5.14 rpo or 86 SR. Other countries see slower scoring on average. Australia has the slowest scoring rate of 4.63 rpo or 77 SR.

    That's why Gilchrist is an ODI batting great while Sehwag is not, despite having similar stats. It's why Bevan is way better than a strike rate of 75 might suggest on the surface. It's why Tendulkar's strike rate of 85 isn't as good as it looks on the surface.

  12. #252
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Prioritising strike rates in analysis of players really should take the home country of the player into account.

    It's all well and good saying that Sachin had an extraordinary strike rate (which he did) but then in the same breath not acknowledging that he also played half his matches in a country with short boundaries and flat roads which artificially inflated batsmen's stats.

    Across all ODIs in history (regardless of teams playing), India has been the fastest country to score runs in, ave 5.14 rpo or 86 SR. Other countries see slower scoring on average. Australia has the slowest scoring rate of 4.63 rpo or 77 SR.

    That's why Gilchrist is an ODI batting great while Sehwag is not, despite having similar stats. It's why Bevan is way better than a strike rate of 75 might suggest on the surface. It's why Tendulkar's strike rate of 85 isn't as good as it looks on the surface.
    So wrong on this one. Tendulkar has a strike rate of 88 in india and 85 outside india. Bevan has a strike rate of 72 in Australia and 75 outside Australia. Pretty reflecting of their relative standings as attacking bats.

    Tendulkar also played only 35% of his matches at home.

    Glichrist averaged 35 at 95 outside Australia. Sehwag averaged 35 at 103 outside India. Not saying he was better than Gilly by the way.

    The 3 greatest ODI quick bowlers (Garner, Mcgrath and Akram) have played a small matter of 214 ODIs in Australia and 39 in india. The first ODI ever in India was played in 1981 and hence the ODIs here did not have to go through a period of low scoring as much as Australia.
    Last edited by h_hurricane; 18-08-2019 at 04:01 AM.

  13. #253
    International Coach stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    12,124
    Quote Originally Posted by h_hurricane View Post
    So wrong on this one. Tendulkar has a strike rate of 88 in india and 85 outside india. Bevan has a strike rate of 72 in Australia and 75 outside Australia. Pretty reflecting of their relative standings as attacking bats.

    Tendulkar also played only 35% of his matches at home.

    Glichrist averaged 35 at 95 outside Australia. Sehwag averaged 35 at 103 outside India. Not saying he was better than Gilly by the way.

    The 3 greatest ODI quick bowlers (Garner, Mcgrath and Akram) have played a small matter of 214 ODIs in Australia and 39 in india. The first ODI ever in India was played in 1981 and hence the ODIs here did not have to go through a period of low scoring as much as Australia.
    Since the start of 1981 the run rate in Australia is 4.66. Hardly a huge difference.

    Team records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

  14. #254
    International Coach stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    12,124

  15. #255
    International Coach stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    12,124
    And on Sachin himself, his strike rate in Australia was 75 and in South Africa was 80.

    Bevan played a lot more in seam friendly conditions.

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 247
    Last Post: 23-08-2018, 04:11 AM
  2. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 17-01-2016, 03:29 PM
  3. Replies: 198
    Last Post: 02-12-2015, 02:43 AM
  4. Replies: 354
    Last Post: 07-11-2015, 07:36 AM
  5. Replies: 117
    Last Post: 31-10-2015, 06:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •