• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Simon Cook

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Was thinking about Simon Cook the other day, has too have had one of the weirdest career trajectories of any post-WSC Australian cricketer. Started out in Victoria, showed a bit of promise without doing anything especially eye catching, Victoria had a real good attack back then (generally Fleming Reiffel Saker and Harvey or something like that) so Cook moved to NSW in the 1995/96 off season. He has a frustrating time of it, season cut short by injuries and he has a tough time breaking into the side. Finally gets a NSW recall at the start of 1997/98, his first two games only yield three wickets at 53. Despite this he gets a Test call up against NZ to replace the injured McGrath, he takes 5 in the second innings on test debut. Only plays one more game before exiting the team just as suddenly as he entered it. Thereafter a succession of more injuries, including the infamous steamroller incident, badly hampered him and he would gradually drift from FC cricket.

To those who were around back then and remember him well, was Cook genuinely Test class or just in the right place at the right time?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I got halfway through this post thinking this was the bloke who got that random ODI hat trick before also disappearing from history. His name I totally forget

mr_mister

Anthony Stuart?
Yeah. I searched the list of ODI hat tricks to find him after making that post. Fancy getting dropped and never getting repicked after tearing through a batting order, taking a five fer and a hat trick, in only your third game.

He had Pakistan 5-29, taking all 5 himself

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I saw 'Simon Cook' and expected a ***** post on how the other Simon Cook had been binned from coaching Hong Kong.

cnerd123

likes this
I saw 'Simon Cook' and expected a ***** post on how the other Simon Cook had been binned from coaching Hong Kong.
wasn't binned, actually chose not to stay on after his contract ran up. Heading back to England now.

He's a good man. Did a lot for HK cricket. It's a shame he isn't staying on.

mr_mister

He was partially ran over by a steamroller in his other job doing roadworks in Sydney. He did return to the NSW team by the end of the season but struggled for impact and was never a state regular again
Damn. Lucky he survived that tbf

Wouldn't have to worry about a second job these days! Imagine Smithy as a lollypop man

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Remember Cook's debut well, took advantage of a crack in the pitch in the 2nd inn ijngs and just ripped through the NZ right-handers.

Everybody knows about Oz's batting depth in that era, but wasn't quite the same in bowling area. Peter McIntyre, Gavin Robertson, Paul Wilson, Anthony Stuart & Cook all got international spots during the 96-98 era.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Remember Cook's debut well, took advantage of a crack in the pitch in the 2nd inn ijngs and just ripped through the NZ right-handers.

Everybody knows about Oz's batting depth in that era, but wasn't quite the same in bowling area. Peter McIntyre, Gavin Robertson, Paul Wilson, Anthony Stuart & Cook all got international spots during the 96-98 era.
Scott Muller in 1999 as well.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
And Matt Nicholson
I only thought of Simon Cook ths other day when I was looking at Ashes cricketers without an ODI. I dont remember much about him tbh. Matt Nicholson on the other hand is a bowler I rated extremely highly. Suffered bad injuries (to his back i think) and after that he become just a very good state cricketer.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year

Peter McIntyre is an absolute beast. Primarily for his effort with the bat in the 1995/96 Shield final, but he could certainly bowl in his day, at least until his shoulder started failing him. Bowling legspin at Adelaide Oval in the 90's wasn't a straightforward task, short square boundaries and a pancake flat pitch.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Was thinking about Simon Cook the other day, has too have had one of the weirdest career trajectories of any post-WSC Australian cricketer. Started out in Victoria, showed a bit of promise without doing anything especially eye catching, Victoria had a real good attack back then (generally Fleming Reiffel Saker and Harvey or something like that) so Cook moved to NSW in the 1995/96 off season. He has a frustrating time of it, season cut short by injuries and he has a tough time breaking into the side. Finally gets a NSW recall at the start of 1997/98, his first two games only yield three wickets at 53. Despite this he gets a Test call up against NZ to replace the injured McGrath, he takes 5 in the second innings on test debut. Only plays one more game before exiting the team just as suddenly as he entered it. Thereafter a succession of more injuries, including the infamous steamroller incident, badly hampered him and he would gradually drift from FC cricket.

To those who were around back then and remember him well, was Cook genuinely Test class or just in the right place at the right time?
I was at the ground for his 5for against NZ (same test Mark Waugh hit Vettori onto the Lillee Marsh stand roof). I genuinely had never heard of him but remember him bowling with a bustling action not to dissimilar to Andy Bichel.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I remember Craig McMillan debuted in that game too, brought up his fifty by hitting Warne for six. That was the Rixon era and I think the Australians were surprised by the level of sledging coming their way.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I only thought of Simon Cook ths other day when I was looking at Ashes cricketers without an ODI. I dont remember much about him tbh. Matt Nicholson on the other hand is a bowler I rated extremely highly. Suffered bad injuries (to his back i think) and after that he become just a very good state cricketer.
Nicholson was a very good bowler at his best, a real handful with all that bounce he could get. As you said injuries did plague him a lot, by the end he was definitely slower and less threatening but he certainly had his days.

Getting smashed by Cam Borgas at North Sydney back in the day not his best moment, remember that game clear as day. Never realised Borgas had that in him