• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe suspended by ICC over 'government interference'

Heboric

International Debutant

Heboric

International Debutant
As being old enough to remember South Africas bannings.

In the back of my mind I always wondered how ZIm was allowed to continue playing international cricket ( Not just refering to the latest incidents). I think it was England in 2007 when South Africa hosted the World CUp that they boycotted playing a match there.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
As being old enough to remember South Africas bannings.

In the back of my mind I always wondered how ZIm was allowed to continue playing international cricket ( Not just refering to the latest incidents). I think it was England in 2007 when South Africa hosted the World CUp that they boycotted playing a match there.
2003 iirc. They were removed for a while weren't they?

I won't pretend to be remotely up-to-date with the current Zim side, but perhaps it is more black and white than SA could ever be during the apartheid era.

Heboric

International Debutant
2003 iirc. They were removed for a while weren't they?

I won't pretend to be remotely up-to-date with the current Zim side, but perhaps it is more black and white than SA could ever be during the apartheid era.
It wasnt just because of team composition that got us banned, it was having a **** government and their goings on

Jezroy

State Captain
I want to know what happens with their upcoming fixtures.

They actually had some nice looking fixtures in the FTP (compared to some of the stuff they've had in recent years)

Afg in Zim - 1 test, 5 ODIs, 3 T20s in August
WIN in Zim - 1 test, 5 ODIs in October
SL in Zim - 2 tests in Jan 2020
Zim in Ban - 1 test, 5 T20s in Mar 2020
Ire in Zim - 1 test, 5 T20s in Apr 2020

Really hope this can be sorted ASAP.

Bijed

International Regular
I want to know what happens with their upcoming fixtures.

They actually had some nice looking fixtures in the FTP (compared to some of the stuff they've had in recent years)

Afg in Zim - 1 test, 5 ODIs, 3 T20s in August
WIN in Zim - 1 test, 5 ODIs in October
SL in Zim - 2 tests in Jan 2020
Zim in Ban - 1 test, 5 T20s in Mar 2020
Ire in Zim - 1 test, 5 T20s in Apr 2020

Really hope this can be sorted ASAP.
Ugh, that's a real shame for Afghanistan and Ireland especially if things don't get sorted out in time to save those fixtures (thinking mainly of the tests)

Feel for the Zimbabwe team too, of course, as I find the pretty likeable

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
This whole thing is an absolutely tragic circumstance & I truly hope that the Zimbabwean team will be allowed to compete again in the near future. I really feel that suspending the entire national team from any form of participation was a step too far. If anything, certain board members should have been suspended, not the team itself. The Zimbabwe, Ireland & Afghanistan teams are pretty much the only teams I support these days (other associates too). Something like this may very well kill cricket for me. Awful, awful news.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Damn, they might not cone back here for more series again
Kirsty Coventry is a champ apparently, there's every chance they'll try to do it again just for the sake of loyalty if it went well and isn't too expensive IMO, especially given the fact that her getting more power was seemingly a condition of Zimbabwe's admission.

Alternatively they might be invited to Zimbabwe for a return trip.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Kirsty Coventry is a champ apparently, there's every chance they'll try to do it again just for the sake of loyalty if it went well and isn't too expensive IMO, especially given the fact that her getting more power was seemingly a condition of Zimbabwe's admission.

Alternatively they might be invited to Zimbabwe for a return trip.
hang on, they were suspended for government interference but a condition of their return was that the sports minister gets more influence?

i don't mind because she's probably more sports-focused than the usual ZC cronies but an interesting process

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
hang on, they were suspended for government interference but a condition of their return was that the sports minister gets more influence?

i don't mind because she's probably more sports-focused than the usual ZC cronies but an interesting process
Haha yeah I made the same point on a Zimbabwe forum. Seems completely farcical but I guess the ICC were impressed with her.