Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Test only batsmen

Test only batsmen

Do you think the likes of Mark Butcher, Justin Langer etc. deserve the chance to play in ODI's?

Butcher has never even played an ODI for England. If this was done say five years ago, I wouldn't have considered him in the ODI side. Though in recent years he has shown that he could perform as an ODI batsman, if given the chance.

Langer is a little more fortunate as he has played 8 ODI's for Australia. His batting in recent years has improved a lot (including his strike rate), but he would be still far down the order for ODI selection given his age, heaps of young players are now emerging & where could Langer bat in the ODI side given Gilchrist and Hayden are doing great.
    My 2003 Australian Cricketers Rankings No.1's

Test Batting: Mathew Hayden
    Test Bowling: Stuart MacGill
    ODI Batting: Ricky Ponting
    ODI Bowling: Brett Lee

Ford Rules!

International Captain Loony BoB's Avatar
    Just don't mention Richardson.
    REMEMBER: A couple of years in therapy, you'll get over it.

Proud to be a member of the CW Colts

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB
    Just don't mention Richardson.

Though Richardson has managed to play 3 ODI's in his career.

Yeah I find that mistifying!

Why would NZ do such a thing?
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

I don't think Akash Chopra will ever play ODI's.
    You talking to IR?

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Akash copra will ahve to score some hunders in test before he play ODI
    Last edited by biased indian; 26-05-2004 at 08:51 AM.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

Gripper playing ODIs is a bit odd as well.

But with the fragility of the Zim lineup, I can understand it, especially since his off spin is more than useful in one day games.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford_GTHO351

Though Richardson has managed to play 3 ODI's in his career.
    actually hes played 4....you hafta wonder who the wise guy on the selection committee came up with the idea of richardson for an ODI game.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Quote Originally Posted by koch_cha
    Akash copra will ahve to score some hunders in test before he play ODI
    Even then he most probably won't.
    "The optimum human population of earth is zero." - Dave Foreman

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    actually hes played 4....you hafta wonder who the wise guy on the selection committee came up with the idea of richardson for an ODI game.
    Why? His domestic OD record is better than a lot of New Zealand batsmen and he's shown that he knows how to bat. In a batting order with Cairns, Oram, Astle and the like, sometimes you need someone who can bat through and rotate the strike. However, I'm not saying that there's a spot for Richardson in the NZ ODI team at the moment, I'm just saying that predominantly defensive batsmen aren't useless in ODI's.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Quote Originally Posted by chicane
    I don't think Akash Chopra will ever play ODI's.
    If Shiv Das can get a game...

Das is still a better bet than Chopra. Chopra is too defensive and can't play the big shots. Das could hit the ball pretty powerfully.

Pinball Champion!
    Butcher should definitely get given a game... Especially with the likes of Irani, McGrath and Rikki Clarke being banded around in recent years... (Butch can bowl a few overs too)

Justin Langer, im not sure about him... Could well be far too defensive for the modern ODI game.. However South Africa found success through Gary Kirsten in ODI's...

What about Atherton's ODI career? Did Matt Elliott play many ODI's...Matt Horne?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Justin Langer, im not sure about him... Could well be far too defensive for the modern ODI game.. However South Africa found success through Gary Kirsten in ODI's...
    Why do people still consider Langer defensive? He's been rather much more attacking of late. His Test SR is 52.68 (perfectly acceptable when there are 2700 scheduled legal deliveries in a Test).

His last 4 significant innings...

166 from 295 balls
    13 fours, 2 sixes
    56.27 SR

117 from 149 balls
    17 fours, 1 six
    78.52 SR

58 from 72 balls
    7 fours, 2 sixes
    80.55 SR

121 from 194 balls
    17 fours
    62.37 SR

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford_GTHO351
    Do you think the likes of Mark Butcher, Justin Langer etc. deserve the chance to play in ODI's?

Butcher has never even played an ODI for England.
    I've been thinking about this one, since it's not impossible that Butcher could be around in 2007.

I don't really see what he would bring to the party. His batting is not ideally suited to the one-day game. This whole campaign to select him reminds me a lot of the campaign to have Slater picked in Australia's one-day side. He did get picked a few times, and it became painfully apparent why he shouldn't have been. He scored his runs in Test matches by playing a lot of shots into areas where there aren't fielders when you open the batting in Test matches, but which are packed with fielders after about four overs of an ODI. It's never been made clear to me why this wouldn't also apply to Butcher. It certainly seems to apply to Vaughan, who's only in the side because he's captain, and why people want to add another substandard one-day batsman, one who can't even hold on to more than about half the catches coming his way, is something of a puzzle to me.

No, I don't think a great deal of Rikki Clarke. It's quite possible that he's a dud and won't make the grade. But we won't know that unless we try him out, and putting in a player of limited lifespan who is likely not to be a success in order to avoid seeing him is overkill, in my view. Just because he's performing like Flintoff in 99-00 is no reason to junk him yet, given that so many people who've been watching him closely over many years have been so impressed.

Because really, that's what this get-an-experienced-has-been-or-never-will-be into the team nonsense is all about: it's to banish Rikki Clarke to the outer darkness because he hasn't yet exploded as a megastar and some people don't like him for reasons which remain entirely obscure.

Cheers,

Mike

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information