• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bradman vs The others

THE DON

Cricket Spectator
How would the greatest bowlers Malcom Marshall and SF Barnes do agaisnt the greatest batsman Don Bradman and who could have stopped Bradman.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
A good spinner on a slow, turning subcontinental pitch might have tested him. He probably would not have come across such conditions often in his career.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Definitely not. Bradman was never seriously troubled by any fast bowler, even on the bodyline tour he averaged over 50.

If he was to struggle against anyone it would be a spinner - Hedley Verity got him out 11 times in Tests, more than anyone else.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
a massive zebra said:
Definitely not. Bradman was never seriously troubled by any fast bowler, even on the bodyline tour he averaged over 50.

If he was to struggle against anyone it would be a spinner - Hedley Verity got him out 11 times in Tests, more than anyone else.
Is there really a need to take everything so seriously?!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
How was I to know you were joking? You seem to rate Harmison very highly. :blink:
Harmo

EDIT: No, I don't know why I typed that either. I'll go and have a lie down.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Sure the likes of Verity etc. got Bradman out more often than others, but in all reallity, there would be really no one who could stop the greatest batsman ever.

Sure, possibly some of the great fast bowlers may have been able to get Bradman out, but IMO it would of been all too late as he would of probably scored a century at least by the time he would of been dismissed.

twctopcat

International Regular
To get someone like Bradman out would require extreme consistency and the ability to manipulate the ball as you wish. Bradman was a test batsmen personified and therefore you would have to be as patient with bowling as he was persistent with his batting. Eventually everyone cracks.

tooextracool

International Coach
THE DON said:
How would the greatest bowlers Malcom Marshall and SF Barnes do agaisnt the greatest batsman Don Bradman and who could have stopped Bradman.
i do believe that the likes of murali and warne would have tested him particularly on turning wickets aka SL.

a massive zebra

International Captain
tooextracool said:
i do believe that the likes of murali and warne would have tested him particularly on turning wickets aka SL.
I seriously doubt Warne would have troubled him considering Tendulkar utterly humiliated Warne most times they faced eachother. Bradman himself admitted that Tendulkar played in a similar manner to the Don, but the Australian had a hugely superior record which suggests he may have been an upgraded Tendulkar.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
a massive zebra said:
I seriously doubt Warne would have troubled him considering Tendulkar utterly humiliated Warne most times they faced eachother. Bradman himself admitted that Tendulkar played in a similar manner to the Don, but the Australian had a hugely superior record which suggests he may have been an upgraded Tendulkar.
Which totally misses the fact that Tendulkar has so much more experience of playing spinners on Sub-Continental wickets than Bradman.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Which totally misses the fact that Tendulkar has so much more experience of playing spinners on Sub-Continental wickets than Bradman.
Warne posed no problems for Tendulkar in Australia either. They have not just played against eachother in the subcontinent.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I haven't watched Sir Don Bat, but with that kind of record at Internation level, I believe, he must have got some super natural ability as a batsman. IMO he was just too good to be troubled by any bowler present or past.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
chicane said:
The great one would be even better on today's flat tracks, fast outfields and rules.
You'll no doubt be able to explain that, given that Bradman played in the era of the flattest tracks ever known, under an lbw Law which favoured the batsman outrageously, with fielding standards abysmal by today's standard, and in front of smaller stumps.