• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bradman vs The others

chicane

State Captain
badgerhair said:
You'll no doubt be able to explain that, given that Bradman played in the era of the flattest tracks ever known, under an lbw Law which favoured the batsman outrageously, with fielding standards abysmal by today's standard, and in front of smaller stumps.
About the flattest tracks ever known - well I thought back then pitches were uneven and used to break up very quickly and batting was tougher.
The fielding standards then and the fast outfields today cross each other out.
The LBW laws cross out with other restrictions on bowlers. Besides batsmen today have far better protective gear and equipment. They also make use of a lot of technology and have much better means to work on their fitness and stamina.

a massive zebra

International Captain
chicane said:
About the flattest tracks ever known - well I thought back then pitches were uneven and used to break up very quickly and batting was tougher..
In the 19th century pitches were uneven and used to break up very quickly and batting was tougher. They had vastly improved by Bradman's time but were no better than now and you must also remember that he played on uncovered wickets which can be unplayable and bring averages down tremendously.

chicane said:
The fielding standards then and the fast outfields today cross each other out.The LBW laws cross out with other restrictions on bowlers. Besides batsmen today have far better protective gear and equipment. They also make use of a lot of technology and have much better means to work on their fitness and stamina.
Fair enough.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
chicane said:
About the flattest tracks ever known - well I thought back then pitches were uneven and used to break up very quickly and batting was tougher.
You thought wrong, then. Batting averages were higher season by season in the 1930s than at any time in history - although it's fair to say that there has been a distinct swing back towards those kinds of figures in very recent years.

The fielding standards then and the fast outfields today cross each other out.
Since the outfields of the 1930s were by no means slow, you can't use today's very similar outfields to cancel out the fielding standards.

The LBW laws cross out with other restrictions on bowlers.
How? The only time when the ball dominated the bat was in 1932-33, when England on some occasions bowled as many as three or four chest-high rib-ticklers in an over, helped out by a vast leg-side cordon. The leg-side field has been outlawed, not because of Bodyline because everyone eschewed the bouncer for decades afterwards, but because medium-pacers still spent their time plugging a leg-side line with a leg trap until the mid-50s.

I'm sure you'll be able to explain what other restrictions there are on today's bowlers and how the effect of them cancels out the huge advantage to the batsman of being able to pad away anything which pitches outside off stump, whether or not it would hit the wicket.

Besides batsmen today have far better protective gear and equipment. They also make use of a lot of technology and have much better means to work on their fitness and stamina.
Amazing. You've finally said something true.

Cheers,

Mike

chicane

State Captain
badgerhair said:
You thought wrong, then. Batting averages were higher season by season in the 1930s than at any time in history - although it's fair to say that there has been a distinct swing back towards those kinds of figures in very recent years.Since the outfields of the 1930s were by no means slow, you can't use today's very similar outfields to cancel out the fielding standards.
So uneven wickets didn't make batting tougher? At least today's flat batting tracks have even bounce. And weren't outfields then far more uneven? Which should make them slower. But coming to think of it that doesn't outright cancel out with today's fielding standards.
badgerhair said:
How? The only time when the ball dominated the bat was in 1932-33, when England on some occasions bowled as many as three or four chest-high rib-ticklers in an over, helped out by a vast leg-side cordon. The leg-side field has been outlawed, not because of Bodyline because everyone eschewed the bouncer for decades afterwards, but because medium-pacers still spent their time plugging a leg-side line with a leg trap until the mid-50s.I'm sure you'll be able to explain what other restrictions there are on today's bowlers and how the effect of them cancels out the huge advantage to the batsman of being able to pad away anything which pitches outside off stump, whether or not it would hit the wicket.
Well the two bouncers an over restriction does limit what the bowler can do especially against tailenders. Besides having hugely better protective gear, the batsmen can more or less predict when the bowler is gunning for his head, a major advantage is it not? And most cricket pundits believe bowling standards have also deteriorated off late. Look my knowledge of those times is limited so you are actually giving me a history lesson (and i'm grateful).
badgerhair said:
Amazing. You've finally said something true.

Cheers,

Mike
Cheers! :happy:

a massive zebra

International Captain
chicane said:
So uneven wickets didn't make batting tougher? At least today's flat batting tracks have even bounce.
But the wickets in the 30s were not uneven. They were similar to today. Go back to the 19th century for uneven wickets.

chicane

State Captain
a massive zebra said:
But the wickets in the 30s were not uneven. They were similar to today. Go back to the 19th century for uneven wickets.
yeah well ok uncovered wickets.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
chicane said:
So uneven wickets didn't make batting tougher?
They would have done, had there been any in the 1930s, which there weren't. As I said earlier, the wickets in the 1930s were the flattest imaginable. The major grounds' pitches were laid in the late 19th century, and they hadn't been dug up or anything in forty years. They had just been rolled and rolled and rolled for decades, and were shirtfronts and featherbeds.

You appear to be under the impression that Bradman played his cricket alongside WG Grace. He didn't.
At least today's flat batting tracks have even bounce. And weren't outfields then far more uneven? Which should make them slower. But coming to think of it that doesn't outright cancel out with today's fielding standards.
Again, you appear to be confusing the 1930s with the 1890s. Pitches in the 1930s were flatter, had more even bounce, and had faster outfields (except when it rained) than we do today, although conditions today are fast approaching the batting paradise of 70 years ago.

Well the two bouncers an over restriction does limit what the bowler can do especially against tailenders. Besides having hugely better protective gear, the batsmen can more or less predict when the bowler is gunning for his head, a major advantage is it not? And most cricket pundits believe bowling standards have also deteriorated off late. Look my knowledge of those times is limited so you are actually giving me a history lesson (and i'm grateful).
Look, in the 1930s, bouncers didn't *get* head-high, with the possible exception of Larwood's, but he was easily the fastest bowler in the world by some considerable distance. Nobody else was fast enough to get that much bounce out of a 30s featherbed, and anyway It Was Not Done because it was against the spirit of the game as understood back then. The great outrage against the pampered life of the amateur batsman (compared to the professional bowler) was called *Body*line because it was aimed at the ribs and body - and there are no restrictions on chest-high short deliveries in Test cricket even today.

Most cricket pundits are right to say that bowling standards have deteriorated - but worldwide, they are talking about the standards we became accustomed to in the 1980s and 1990s, although the prime period for English bowling was the 50s and 60s. Nobody would point to the 1930s as anything but a dismal age for bowling.

I'm not disputing the contention that if Bradman were around today, he would be number one in the world. But there is no way he would be able to achieve the kind of monstrous figures he did in the golden age of batting pitches.

Cheers,

Mike

a massive zebra

International Captain
badgerhair said:
Again, you appear to be confusing the 1930s with the 1890s. Pitches in the 1930s were flatter, had more even bounce, and had faster outfields (except when it rained) than we do today,
Average scores this century have been just as high as they were in the 30s. Conditions are about as favourable now as they were then.

badgerhair said:
Most cricket pundits are right to say that bowling standards have deteriorated - but worldwide, they are talking about the standards we became accustomed to in the 1980s and 1990s, although the prime period for English bowling was the 50s and 60s. Nobody would point to the 1930s as anything but a dismal age for bowling.,
Thats correct. O'Reilly, Grimmett, Verity, Larwood, Martindale. Thats about it.
But today we only have Murali, Warne, McGrath, Pollock, Akhtar. Not a lot better.

badgerhair said:
I'm not disputing the contention that if Bradman were around today, he would be number one in the world. But there is no way he would be able to achieve the kind of monstrous figures he did in the golden age of batting pitches.
True, Bradman would have a Test average of roughly 84.32 if he played today.

Last edited:

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
a massive zebra said:
Average scores this century have been just as high as they were in the 30s. Conditions are about as favourable now as they were then.
Nearly. But there are more countries playing, which has brought somewhat wider variation - remmeber that there was very little Test cricket outside England, Australia and South Africa, and Bradman didn't play any.

Thats correct. O'Reilly, Grimmett, Verity, Larwood, Martindale. Thats about it.
But today we only have Murali, Warne, McGrath, Pollock, Akhtar. Not a lot better.
You've left out Kumble. But you can hardly call the retirements of Tate, Gregory and Macdonald comparable with the disappearance of Donald, Ambrose, Walsh, Wasim and Waqar, not to mention the likes of Gough, Caddick and the old Chris Cairns, nor can you point at Ken Farnes and say he was comparable to the new generation of Edwards, Harmison, Irfan, Best, Jones, Sami and Anderson, plus any stragglers the Aussies care to dig up.

We're in short period of generational change right now, whereas in the 30s, the pitches were so unforgiving that nobody useful ever emerged.

True, Bradman would have a Test average of roughly 84.32 if he played today.
My estimate is a rather more parsimonious 72.63, but there you go.

Cheers,

Mike

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
a massive zebra said:
Definitely not. Bradman was never seriously troubled by any fast bowler, even on the bodyline tour he averaged over 50.
...which is considerably less than 99.

a massive zebra

International Captain
badgerhair said:
My estimate is a rather more parsimonious 72.63, but there you go.
Thats almost 30 runs off his career average, or almost a third, far too much in my view. Do you seriously think McCabe would only have averaged 32 if he played today (his average minus a third) or Sutcliffe about 40?

72.63 is roughly what Hayden has been averaging since 2001. Surely there is a huge gap between these two.

PY

International Coach
badgerhair said:
You'll no doubt be able to explain that, given that Bradman played in the era of the flattest tracks ever known, under an lbw Law which favoured the batsman outrageously, with fielding standards abysmal by today's standard, and in front of smaller stumps.
An imposter!!!

Where's the real "Cheers, Mike" ?

Why were they the flattest? I was under the impression that they were uncovered and this created huge problems for batsman?

Plus, the fact that averages in that era were better than they are now could be put down to a number of facts, not just that the pitches were flat. Granted you can't really use anything else as a comparision because of the timespan but to use averages would IMO be wrong as it has so many inaccuracies ie. ball used, bats and equipment in general.

I think Chicane has a point that things are a lot easier in one sense for batsman nowadays purely because they don't really have to fear for their life like batsman of yesteryear did.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
a massive zebra said:
I seriously doubt Warne would have troubled him considering Tendulkar utterly humiliated Warne most times they faced eachother. Bradman himself admitted that Tendulkar played in a similar manner to the Don, but the Australian had a hugely superior record which suggests he may have been an upgraded Tendulkar.
The best batsmen tend to have had few troubles with Warne (and Murali) but those batsmen are experts at playing spin. As has been mentioned before, Bradman seldom truly had his expertise at playing spin tested.

Who would trouble him? I'd say Wasim in his prime with heavy cloud cover at Perth.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Some amazing Don Bradman Stats

............................... M I NO Runs HS Avge 100s 50s
Record in matches won 30 43 6 4813 299* 130.08 23 4
Next best - Inzamam... 40 62 12 3785 329 75.70 14 14

6 200s in 3 consecutive series (3 against England in 1930, 1 against West Indies in1930/31, 2 against South Africa in 1931/32). No one else has more than 3 200s in 3 consecutive series.

............................... 200s/Matches/Matches per 200
Bradman.................... 12/52/4.33
Hammond................... 7/85/12.14
Lara.......................... 7/106/15.14
Javed Miandad............ 6/124/20.66
MS Atapattu.............. 5/71/14.20
R Dravid..................... 5/78/15.50
Zaheer Abbas............. 4/78/19.50
L Hutton..................... 4/79/19.75
GS Chappell................ 4/87/21.75
CG Greenidge.............. 4/108/27.00
SM Gavaskar............... 4/125/31.25

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
a massive zebra said:
Thats almost 30 runs off his career average, or almost a third, far too much in my view. Do you seriously think McCabe would only have averaged 32 if he played today (his average minus a third) or Sutcliffe about 40?

72.63 is roughly what Hayden has been averaging since 2001. Surely there is a huge gap between these two.
If Hayden manages to average 72.63 over his whole career, lasting until at least 2012, then you will be able to make that comparison. That Hayden has been batting at Bradmanesque levels for three years is by no means unreasonable as an assertion.

Also, Bradman's average was partly inflated because there was an enormous amount of time available for him to score his runs, a big difference from today. Tests in Australia were timeless, and in England a four-day Test match could quite happily accommodate 500 overs. Today's restrictions would require him to declare on 175* rather than go on to 300 more often than not.

The lesser players you mention would not have had to cap their scoring to anything like the same extent, so their averages would be coreespondingly less affected.

Cheers,

Mike

Langeveldt

Soutie
Im not sure of the standard of quick bowling in the 1930's... When watching old footage it looks distinctly poor... Maybe thats a product of the old footage or me being cynical...

Anyway, if he had been given a modern cricket bat, and put up in front of todays Zimbabweans and Bangladeshis, he would be averaging about 145....

a massive zebra

International Captain
badgerhair said:
If Hayden manages to average 72.63 over his whole career, lasting until at least 2012, then you will be able to make that comparison. That Hayden has been batting at Bradmanesque levels for three years is by no means unreasonable as an assertion.

Also, Bradman's average was partly inflated because there was an enormous amount of time available for him to score his runs, a big difference from today. Tests in Australia were timeless, and in England a four-day Test match could quite happily accommodate 500 overs. Today's restrictions would require him to declare on 175* rather than go on to 300 more often than not.

The lesser players you mention would not have had to cap their scoring to anything like the same extent, so their averages would be coreespondingly less affected.

Cheers,

Mike
That did not happen though. Bradman only made 300 twice and an innings of 175* would have done more for his average than an innings of 254, which was not untypical for him.