• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MS Dhoni unlikely to be picked for India again; officials in BCCI want him to retire

slippy888

International Captain
At 38 years of age, it is unlikely that Dhoni will play another World Cup. The cricketing fraternity was expecting the Indian to retire after the event in 2019, but the BCCI has not been informed of Dhoni's future. They, however, are unlikely to select him again.

Reports: MS Dhoni unlikely to be picked for India again; officials in BCCI want him to retire
At 38 years of age, it is unlikely that Dhoni will play another World Cup. The cricketing fraternity was expecting the Indian to retire after the event in 2019, but the BCCI has not been informed of Dhoni's future. They, however, are unlikely to select him again.
Written By Sarah Waris 16073 reads Mumbai Published: July 15, 2019 06:00 pm
Reports: MS Dhoni unlikely to be picked for India again; officials in BCCI want him to retire

It was expected that MS Dhoni would announce his retirement after the World Cup 2019, but the former skipper has kept fans on tenterhooks regarding his future. Dhoni was heavily criticised during the edition for his slow knocks and his waning reflexes, which even forced former players to come out and state that Dhoni should hang up his boots.
Pakistani pacer Shoaib Akhtar had mentioned earlier that the decision to retire is purely the cricketer's, but suggested that he should quit before the cricketing fraternity mocks him for being too selfish. At 38 years, it is unlikely that the wicket-keeper will play till the 2023 World Cup, and it is the right time to move on and allow yougsters to make the spot their own.
Now reports have emerged, that if Dhoni does not announce his retirement soon, the chief selector MSK Prasad will have a few words with the cricketer, where he would explain that Dhoni is not in the scheme of things as far as Indian cricket is concerned anymore.
A source told TOI, “We’re surprised that he’s not done it so far. There are youngsters like Rishabh Pant waiting to grab their chances. As we saw in the World Cup, Dhoni isn’t the same batsman anymore. Despite coming in at No. 6 or 7, he was struggling to force the pace, and it was hurting the team.”
“I don’t think he’s in the selectors’ plan for the 2020 T20 World Cup too. He must quit international cricket gracefully. He isn’t an automatic pick any more.”
Dhoni had not even informed the BCCi about his future plans before the World Cup.
“We didn’t want to distract him, and he too must have wanted the team, and himself, to be focused on the Cup. But the time to take a call is now. He has nothing left to achieve or prove in international cricket anymore. I’m certain that Dhoni is not going to be picked for India again. It’s high time he calls it a day."
Dhoni has amassed 10,773 runs in ODI cricket at an average of over 50, but his inability to finish off games in the recent past has been criticized. It, then, should not be a surprise, if these are his final career stats.

One of the all time great players for me, its gonna be strange not seeing him not play again for sure and I hope he enjoys life outside cricket now.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bit of a strange feeling if true. Deserves to have his career celebrated but he's been so bad for the last few years that I just feel relief he's pissing off

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great player in "playing past their prime" shocker. Some players just need to be tapped on the shoulder.

cnerd123

likes this
Selectors in India are massive cowards. Always have been. So scared of media and public backlash that instead of doing their job and dropping a player, they'll keep picking him and hope he just retires instead.

And TBF they have good reason to be scared. Indian fans are nuts.

Burgey

At least he’ll always have a significant contribution in an important WC Final to crow about.

OverratedSanity

Dont think he'll go just yet. His moronic fans have been out in full force pleading him to stay on. Lots of dumbass experts have been moaning about how much his retirement will hurt and that the loss of 'presence' and 'leadership' would make everyone in the team worse. As though Bumrah was only nailing his pinpoint yorkers because Dhoni's decrepit arse was making him do it. Or that Rohit Sharma will stop dribbling double hundreds down from his backside because he no longer has Dhoni's 'advice' on innings building, or that Kohli will suddenly become Darren Ganga because Dhoni's 'calming influence' is what stops him from completely losing his marbles and forgetting which end of the bat to hold. It's all a load of piss. The moment Dhoni's contribution to the team became all these abstract terms in single quotes I just mentioned, everyone should have realized how little tangible benefit there actually is in keeping him in the side. But no, we're going to beg him not to go because he's a lamp genie who magically adds +5 to everyone else stats like he's Uther ****ing Lightbringer from Warcraft 3 or something. **** this horse****.

Last edited:

Attitude

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Look I am not one that says Dhoni MUST retire. However his role in the team does need to be looked at. I personally feel he would have been a far better fit at no. 4 than most of the those who played there, including Pant.

Dhoni has to be a destroyer. Enough of the go out there and tuck tuck approach, except in extreme matches like NZ SF. He had no choice there.

If he can't do than then yes he must go. However I feel he could contribute if he adopts a hit every ball for a six approach.

SillyCowCorner1

Dont think he'll go just yet. His moronic fans have been out in full force pleading him to stay on. Lots of dumbass experts have been moaning about how much his retirement will hurt and that the loss of 'presence' and 'leadership' would make everyone in the team worse. As though Bumrah was only nailing his pinpoint yorkers because Dhoni's decrepit arse was making him do it. Or that Rohit Sharma will stop dribbling double hundreds down from his backside because he no longer has Dhoni's 'advice' on innings building, or that Kohli will suddenly become Darren Ganga because Dhoni's 'calming influence' is what stops him from completely losing his marbles and forgetting which end of the bat to hold. It's all a load of piss. The moment Dhoni's contribution to the team became all these abstract terms in single quotes I just mentioned, everyone should have realized how little tangible benefit there actually is in keeping him in the side. But no, we're going to beg him not to go because he's a lamp genie who magically adds +5 to everyone else stats like he's Uther ****ing Lightbringer from Warcraft 3 or something. **** this horse****.
Sounds like a certain three eye raven. This Dhoni fella

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He will leave a big leadership vacuum thought. Certainly India's best ever leader, and the selectors must be very nervous about leaving Kohli with the reigns.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea honestly the thought of Kohli captaining alone without MSD does make me nervous. I mean, I know the whole IPL RCB CSK thing is a meme, but I do wonder if there is something to that.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Yea honestly the thought of Kohli captaining alone without MSD does make me nervous. I mean, I know the whole IPL RCB CSK thing is a meme, but I do wonder if there is something to that.
Make Rohit the captain for LOIs, Kohli's been fine in tests anyway.

cnerd123

likes this
In an ideal world that is what happens but realistically it's going to be Kohli in all 3 formats till 2023 at least