• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of Sri Lanka 2019

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With all the posting in here I thought today was Day 5.

Is the forecast for a complete washout tomorrow too?

Is everyone forgetting that it is possible to bowl a side out in a session?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With all the posting in here I thought today was Day 5.

Is the forecast for a complete washout tomorrow too?

Is everyone forgetting that it is possible to bowl a side out in a session?
It's possible but the problem is that New Zealand need a big first innings lead to force a result. And this Lankan batting lineup seems solid. It's doable...but it's tough especially given there's still weather about IIRC.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's possible but the problem is that New Zealand need a big first innings lead to force a result. And this Lankan batting lineup seems solid. It's doable...but it's tough especially given there's still weather about IIRC.
No they don't. They just need a big enough lead.

They're 1-0 down in the series and so the impetus is solely on them to try and force this and they're going to have to risk batting a second time in order to try and force a win. If the rest of today is washed out then they're already getting close to the point where in order for SL to bat for long enough to get ahead; NZ should be able to comfortably survive the remainer.

Would want to declare before lunch.

Flem274*

123/5
im not sure how much of this session remains but id love to go hammer and tongs to 200 then declare hopefully tonight.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Loath to say anything negative about Watling's batting here but, if we're setting up to declare overnight, surely he should be playing a few more shots.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Loath to say anything negative about Watling's batting here but, if we're setting up to declare overnight, surely he should be playing a few more shots.
He’s a great test player, but this last half hour is a reminder of why he could never make it as an odi player.

Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
Questionable tactics from the NZers. Allowing BJ to nurdle 26 (72) with no boundaries since Latham's wicket? No Boult + Southee in the evening gloom against tired openers (one will be a makeshift opener)?

Do they
(1) think they can roll SL for 150 on day 5, or
(2) think SL will easily bat out a draw

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't see much of today, pitch looked ok but life is never easy batting for a draw on day 5, especially with changes to the order as I understand will occur with Dimuth being injured

Jezroy

State Captain
Karunaratne and Dickwella injuries/rejigged order a big hope for NZ to push a win. Plus pressure on SL on final day may play a part - do they win or draw the series?

Great work from CDG today. Set up by Latham and BJ Wagner (according to his shirt for those that missed it), but it was so important that someone came out and did what he did.

Barring weather, it’s set up for an interesting finish. The SL ground staff do an amazing job. Most other places in the world, this weather would have destroyed the test.

Such a pity that we haven’t had better weather/a third test.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Love reading Ross' interview with cricinfo

"Back [in the early stages of my career] there were a few strong personalities. I don't think those strong personalities are as prevalent in this side - however you want to take that."

Translation: Back then, Brendon McCullum was a massive ****. Good riddance to the backstabbing bougan midget.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Love reading Ross' interview with cricinfo

"Back [in the early stages of my career] there were a few strong personalities. I don't think those strong personalities are as prevalent in this side - however you want to take that."

Translation: Back then, Brendon McCullum was a massive ****. Good riddance to the backstabbing bougan midget.
Its a great interview.

Maybe Neesham had been chatting to Ross back in his cricketweb days haha.

Blain

U19 Captain
I've seen mixed reports on the weather, but I'd say we'll likely have another reduced day. I'd declare right away TBH. We should have another 30 runs on the board, if Watling didn't "Watling" around his entire innings (great knock regardless).

150 shouldn't be enough judging how the wicket played yesterday, but early wickets and anything can happen. Worst case is SL bat all day and cruise to 200 for not many, which means the pitch would have dictated a draw anyway.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
If the weather looks okay I'd bat on. No point declaring 150 ahead with 98 overs to go. Sri Lanka can then get a lead later on and we will be trying to prevent runs as well as taking wickets. Much better to bat for another 10 overs and try to score 80-100 runs so we can set more attacking fields.