• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of Sri Lanka 2019

Jezroy

State Captain
It's kind of weird and interesting how SL have had the busiest Test calendar over the last 12 months as well. It's as if they've given up on the shorter formats as they've got worse at it.

Their Test results and performances have been quite good apart from the home defeat to England and the spanking in Australia, beat SA home and away, respectable loss in NZ, drew in WI.
Also, they haven’t played 7 series against India

PS: I know it was 1-0 in NZ thanks to Mendis and Mathews in Wellington, but that loss was 423 runs. Not really respectable. Pretty embarrassing. In reality they had one outstanding day.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Also, they haven’t played 7 series against India

PS: I know it was 1-0 in NZ thanks to Mendis and Mathews in Wellington, but that loss was 423 runs. Not really respectable. Pretty embarrassing. In reality they had one outstanding day.
One outstanding day PLUS a day of rain.

veganbob

U19 Captain
Awesome warm up game, with no one getting a bat.. Coming from mid winter to the sub continent with no batting preparation, talk about being under cooked. At least the batting line up is basically set in stone.

Good to see Patel has shown he can do the job, probably our best controlling spinner. With Somerville being our only off spinner, does he get the nod over Astle? I think so TBH. Then it's Astle vs Santner, flip a coin. Astle will go for runs, I don't trust his control. He's a competitor with the bat, though Santner is the batter batsmen. CDG has to play as our 2nd seamer, I don't see the point in playing Wagner or Southee if it's a dust bowl in 32 degree humid heat.

Latham, Raval, Williamson, Taylor, Nicholls, CDG, Watling, Santner, Somerville, Patel, Boult

For Sri Lanka, who is their best spinner? See they have the tricky and suspect Dananjaya in the squad. Can't say I know much of their bowling attack besides Lakmal, who is OK.
No santner please! Such a bits and pieces test player-and a terrible one at that.

Jezroy

State Captain
No santner please! Such a bits and pieces test player-and a terrible one at that.
I actually think a place where there’s some spin could potentially be quite good for him. He’s accurate, so won’t go for runs. And since he doesn’t get a lot of work on the ball, a place where the pitches can turn it for him are his best chance.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It's hard, because Boult is our best bowler, so he's an automatic pick...but if we're picking three spinners in Santner, Patel, Somerville/Astle, you'd possible want a seam bowling all-rounder. Yet Wagner is someone who can do something different and has a bit of a golden arm at times - though didn't do that well in the UAE. Then there's Southee, who actually has a really good record in Sri Lanka. So really, Boult and Patel are locks, then it's anyones guess.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
As someone else said, I'd be happy to pick him in spin-friendly conditions. Decent bat and with conducive conditions could be handy. If seaming conditions, Southee or Wagner.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's hard, because Boult is our best bowler, so he's an automatic pick...but if we're picking three spinners in Santner, Patel, Somerville/Astle, you'd possible want a seam bowling all-rounder. Yet Wagner is someone who can do something different and has a bit of a golden arm at times - though didn't do that well in the UAE. Then there's Southee, who actually has a really good record in Sri Lanka. So really, Boult and Patel are locks, then it's anyones guess.
Pick all of them, drop a few batsmen imo

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Sweet, this is finally starting and doesn't even sound like it's raining. Reckon we'll play three spinners though I still don't know which of Santner or Astle will miss out.

Despite their admin being a wreck, SL will be tough. Wish it was three tests.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Sweet, this is finally starting and doesn't even sound like it's raining. Reckon we'll play three spinners though I still don't know which of Santner or Astle will miss out.

Despite their admin being a wreck, SL will be tough. Wish it was three tests.
KDub better win the toss.

Jezroy

State Captain
Kane Williamson calls right, New Zealand opt to bat. No prizes for guessing. Boult, Southee and their spin trio of Santner, Somerville and Ajaz Patel form their bowling attack. No place for Neil Wagner, Colin de Grandhomme, Todd Astle and Tom Blundell.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
No CdG, really? If they were going to go the three spinner route, thought he'd bat at 7 and share the nee ball with Boult. That's a pretty long tail even accounting for Santner's batting ability, responsibility on the top 6 now to make the toss count.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
No CdG, really? If they were going to go the three spinner route, thought he'd bat at 7 and share the nee ball with Boult. That's a pretty long tail even accounting for Santner's batting ability, responsibility on the top 6 now to make the toss count.
100% this. Boult and CdG with new ball. And I'd probably swap Santner with Wagner. KW to bowl more overs.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Ferguson (and Neesham) didn't make the test squad. I hope Ferguson plays against your blokes in the Perth test in a few months.
Don't think he will tbh. Wagner is still first choice and I'm looking forward to seeing him on bouncy Australian pitches after he missed out in 2015 to Doug ***in Bracewell.