• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jos Buttler - England's greatest ever?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Take his run a ball 50 out and then Stokes's anchoring knock starts to look a lot less impressive. That partnership changed the game. Looked like he was batting on a different pitch. You can't get more valuable runs than that. Other than those deflected overthrows, obvs.

To go with this, he has ATG JAMODI biffing credentials and has also played some innings where he's really dug England out of a hole. There was 100 off 50 balls versus Pakistan this year and another 100 against Australia where he won the match by one wicket. That 100 Vs Pakistan in the group stage was immense despite being in a losing cause. Needless to say, centuries coming in at 6 are a big fricking deal. He's definitely England's greatest ever WK but where does he rank compared to others as an ODI player overall? And compared to other WKs? What is most striking about him is that he never really slows down but he can still adjust to the conditions very well. Rotates the strike well too. Hope he doesn't do a Dhoni..

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Take his run a ball 50 out and then Stokes's anchoring knock starts to look a lot less impressive. That partnership changed the game. Looked like he was batting on a different pitch. You can't get more valuable runs than that. Other than those deflected overthrows, obvs.

To go with this, he has ATG JAMODI biffing credentials and has also played some innings where he's really dug England out of a hole. There was 100 off 50 balls versus Pakistan this year and another 100 against Australia where he won the match by one wicket. That 100 Vs Pakistan in the group stage was immense despite being in a losing cause. Needless to say, centuries coming in at 6 are a big fricking deal. He's definitely England's greatest ever WK but where does he rank compared to others as an ODI player overall? And compared to other WKs? What is most striking about him is that he never really slows down but he can still adjust to the conditions very well. Rotates the strike well too. Hope he doesn't do a Dhoni..
He's immensely talented that's for sure. Probably not as consistent as Dhoni but more explosive than Gilchrist. Basically he's probably what Gilchrist would have done had he batted down the order in the modern game. Immense batsman but his keeping isn't ATG standard yet. He's still quite young so he may improve.

Francis9898

Cricket Spectator
Very talented clearly but he has a lot of moments where he doesn't really do much, then others where he's irresistable. I think if he can become more consistent, and imo since there's hardly even any swing and whatnot anymore he'd be fine coming in at no4 when Morgan trudges back off to play for Ireland. Clearly he's capable of playing all types of knocks and probably wouldn't bitch and moan about what position he'd bat, just try and do the best he can for his country. Not mentioning any names btw Joe.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fairbrother for me. Also has a fighting WC final knock to his credit along with general bevan lite credentials in a decade where atherton had a gig striking at 57

flibbertyjibber

Fairbrother for me. Also has a fighting WC final knock to his credit along with general bevan lite credentials in a decade where atherton had a gig striking at 57
Think people are underestimating Root a fair bit. Top scorer in the World Cup for the winners and holds it together while the stroke makers go crazy. Without him we aren't anything like the same team.

trundler

Head but he got out hitting a village slog in the final. It was textbook choking.

sunilz

International Regular
Buttler who has never been ranked in top 10 ICC ODI rankings is now being compared to Dhoni and Gilchrist who have both been ranked no. 1 in ICC rankings. He is more a Sehwag type of player , explosive but highly inconsistent

sunilz

International Regular
England's best ODI batsman is Joe Root , who is extremely consistent and holds their middle order together. He is very under rated ODI batsman

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Buttler who has never been ranked in top 10 ICC ODI rankings is now being compared to Dhoni and Gilchrist who have both been ranked no. 1 in ICC rankings. He is more a Sehwag type of player , explosive but highly inconsistent
Don't think he's inconsistent at all actually. He scores more hundreds at 6 than anyone else. Probably quite hard to rank no.1 when you bat at 6 and don't come in until 35th to 40th over, and in easy chases where players usually inflate their averages, you don't even bat most of the time.

trundler

England's best ODI batsman is Joe Root , who is extremely consistent and holds their middle order together. He is very under rated ODI batsman
Yes I think he's the 2nd best middle order batsman in the world. I was talking about Buttler as a package though.

trundler

Nah, Kohli. I'm not in the only WCs count meme crowd. He does average 60 with that ridiculous conversion rate.

tooextracool

International Coach
Buttler probably underperformed this WC given his talent and the level at which he has been performing over the past few years. My opinion on him has changed after his performances in the last two IPL seasons - I get the feeling that he would average significantly more if he was batting higher in the order and was allowed more time to build his innings. In fact, his ODI record by batting position indicates as much - much better averages and SRs at 4/5 vs 6. To some extent, it is a curse to be as versatile a player as he is.