Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Jos Buttler - England's greatest ever?

  1. #1
    International Coach trundler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    11,103

    Jos Buttler - England's greatest ever?

    Take his run a ball 50 out and then Stokes's anchoring knock starts to look a lot less impressive. That partnership changed the game. Looked like he was batting on a different pitch. You can't get more valuable runs than that. Other than those deflected overthrows, obvs.

    To go with this, he has ATG JAMODI biffing credentials and has also played some innings where he's really dug England out of a hole. There was 100 off 50 balls versus Pakistan this year and another 100 against Australia where he won the match by one wicket. That 100 Vs Pakistan in the group stage was immense despite being in a losing cause. Needless to say, centuries coming in at 6 are a big fricking deal. He's definitely England's greatest ever WK but where does he rank compared to others as an ODI player overall? And compared to other WKs? What is most striking about him is that he never really slows down but he can still adjust to the conditions very well. Rotates the strike well too. Hope he doesn't do a Dhoni..
    trundler isn't annoying at all. He's quality. -TJB
    Yea trundler is the new Bijed. Good addition. - Zorax
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    trundler is the coolest member to join the forum in a long time.

  2. #2
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    17
    Please read this article and don't ignore these posts:

    https://www.change.org/p/internation...orld-cup-title

  3. #3
    International Coach stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    12,635
    Quote Originally Posted by trundler View Post
    Take his run a ball 50 out and then Stokes's anchoring knock starts to look a lot less impressive. That partnership changed the game. Looked like he was batting on a different pitch. You can't get more valuable runs than that. Other than those deflected overthrows, obvs.

    To go with this, he has ATG JAMODI biffing credentials and has also played some innings where he's really dug England out of a hole. There was 100 off 50 balls versus Pakistan this year and another 100 against Australia where he won the match by one wicket. That 100 Vs Pakistan in the group stage was immense despite being in a losing cause. Needless to say, centuries coming in at 6 are a big fricking deal. He's definitely England's greatest ever WK but where does he rank compared to others as an ODI player overall? And compared to other WKs? What is most striking about him is that he never really slows down but he can still adjust to the conditions very well. Rotates the strike well too. Hope he doesn't do a Dhoni..
    He's immensely talented that's for sure. Probably not as consistent as Dhoni but more explosive than Gilchrist. Basically he's probably what Gilchrist would have done had he batted down the order in the modern game. Immense batsman but his keeping isn't ATG standard yet. He's still quite young so he may improve.

  4. #4
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    26
    Very talented clearly but he has a lot of moments where he doesn't really do much, then others where he's irresistable. I think if he can become more consistent, and imo since there's hardly even any swing and whatnot anymore he'd be fine coming in at no4 when Morgan trudges back off to play for Ireland. Clearly he's capable of playing all types of knocks and probably wouldn't bitch and moan about what position he'd bat, just try and do the best he can for his country. Not mentioning any names btw Joe.


  5. #5
    International Coach mr_mister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    13,127
    Fairbrother for me. Also has a fighting WC final knock to his credit along with general bevan lite credentials in a decade where atherton had a gig striking at 57
    cricket rules brah

  6. #6
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Posts
    47,139
    He is an incredible player, unlike any other to have played for England in my lifetime.
    Pothas likes this.

  7. #7
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    22,384
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmberry74 View Post
    Please read this article and don't ignore these posts:

    https://www.change.org/p/internation...orld-cup-title
    Only bed wetters and saddos will sign that.

  8. #8
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    22,384
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post
    Fairbrother for me. Also has a fighting WC final knock to his credit along with general bevan lite credentials in a decade where atherton had a gig striking at 57
    Think people are underestimating Root a fair bit. Top scorer in the World Cup for the winners and holds it together while the stroke makers go crazy. Without him we aren't anything like the same team.
    Bijed likes this.

  9. #9
    International Coach trundler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    11,103
    Head but he got out hitting a village slog in the final. It was textbook choking.

  10. #10
    U19 Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    delhi
    Posts
    572
    Buttler who has never been ranked in top 10 ICC ODI rankings is now being compared to Dhoni and Gilchrist who have both been ranked no. 1 in ICC rankings. He is more a Sehwag type of player , explosive but highly inconsistent

  11. #11
    U19 Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    delhi
    Posts
    572
    England's best ODI batsman is Joe Root , who is extremely consistent and holds their middle order together. He is very under rated ODI batsman
    flibbertyjibber likes this.

  12. #12
    BSM
    BSM is offline
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by sunilz View Post
    Buttler who has never been ranked in top 10 ICC ODI rankings is now being compared to Dhoni and Gilchrist who have both been ranked no. 1 in ICC rankings. He is more a Sehwag type of player , explosive but highly inconsistent
    Don't think he's inconsistent at all actually. He scores more hundreds at 6 than anyone else. Probably quite hard to rank no.1 when you bat at 6 and don't come in until 35th to 40th over, and in easy chases where players usually inflate their averages, you don't even bat most of the time.

  13. #13
    International Coach trundler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    11,103
    Quote Originally Posted by sunilz View Post
    England's best ODI batsman is Joe Root , who is extremely consistent and holds their middle order together. He is very under rated ODI batsman
    Yes I think he's the 2nd best middle order batsman in the world. I was talking about Buttler as a package though.

  14. #14
    International Vice-Captain a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    4,150
    Quote Originally Posted by trundler View Post
    Yes I think he's the 2nd best middle order batsman in the world. I was talking about Buttler as a package though.
    Which of Kohli and Williamson is he ahead of, in your view? Presumably Williamson, despite his ATG world cup?
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

  15. #15
    International Coach trundler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    11,103
    Nah, Kohli. I'm not in the only WCs count meme crowd. He does average 60 with that ridiculous conversion rate.
    mr_mister likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Jos Buttler
    By Spintolose in forum Cricket World Cup 2019
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-07-2019, 12:43 AM
  2. Jos Buttler Appreciation thread
    By grecian in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 08-09-2017, 06:32 PM
  3. England's Greatest Ever XI
    By James in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 08-04-2011, 01:58 AM
  4. Ian Buttler Selection
    By Sam in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2002, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •