Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 1156
Like Tree671Likes

Thread: **Official** Ireland in England 2019

  1. #16
    International 12th Man Jezroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,505
    England should definitely troll them by selecting Morgan
    andruid likes this.

  2. #17
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezroy View Post
    England should definitely troll them by selecting Morgan
    We should be picking him anyway as specialist captain.

    Burns
    Roy
    Bairstow
    Root
    Morgan (c)
    Stokes
    Butler (wk)
    Moeen
    TCurran
    Broad
    Porter

    Anderson in for Porter and Woakes in for TCurran for the ashes.

  3. #18
    International Debutant ImpatientLime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The lime tree.
    Posts
    2,314
    based timmy murtagh to run through england at least once.
    Prince EWS likes this.

  4. #19
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    22,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Jofra Archer to make his test debut?
    Depends on fitness, think he will play in the ashes but he may need to rest the niggle after the World Cup.


  5. #20
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    104
    Might be better if you rephrase that .

    He is carrying an injury though , I just think it's important not to throw these lads into the Ashes hellfire .

  6. #21
    First Class Debutant
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    858
    I did not realise Archer had an injury.

  7. #22
    First Class Debutant
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundking View Post
    We should be picking him anyway as specialist captain.

    Burns
    Roy
    Bairstow
    Root
    Morgan (c)
    Stokes
    Butler (wk)
    Moeen
    TCurran
    Broad
    Porter

    Anderson in for Porter and Woakes in for TCurran for the ashes.
    That is a terrible side

    Roy is not a test match opener
    Bairstow has a terrible record at 3, he should be either the wicketkeeper or number 5/6 or not in the team.
    If Baristow is not the wicket keeper it should be Foakes not Butler. Butler is not good enough to play as a batsman only, should be dropped.
    Jack Leach should be England's spinner.
    Eoin Morgan has had his chance in tests and failed, no reason to think he would be anymore successful if picked again.
    Last edited by Test_Fan_Only; 13-07-2019 at 09:15 AM.

  8. #23
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    That is a terrible side

    Roy is not a test match opener
    Bairstow has a terrible record at 3, he should be either the wicketkeeper or number 5/6 or not in the team.
    If Baristow is not the wicket keeper it should be Foakes not Butler. Butler is not good enough to play as a batsman only, should be dropped.
    Jack Leach should be England's spinner.
    Eoin Morgan has had his chance in tests and failed, no reason to think he would be anymore successful if picked again.
    No, but Roy will be getting picked.
    We need a no.3 Root is pants there Bairstow has done well opening before but cried about not having the gloves, **** him, him batting in the top 3 is what's best for the team.
    Butler is one of our few form batsmen in tests and is favoured over Foakes.
    No Moeen is our best spinner, especially in home conditions. Also Leach is not favoured.
    Yet we've tried plenty of batsmen that have not been successful at all, Root has shown to not be a good captain and it has been a massive detriment to his batting. I'm picking Morgan as specialist captain.

  9. #24
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    28,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    That is a terrible side

    Roy is not a test match opener
    Bairstow has a terrible record at 3, he should be either the wicketkeeper or number 5/6 or not in the team.
    If Baristow is not the wicket keeper it should be Foakes not Butler. Butler is not good enough to play as a batsman only, should be dropped.
    Jack Leach should be England's spinner.
    Eoin Morgan has had his chance in tests and failed, no reason to think he would be anymore successful if picked again.
    Mate - one day cricket exists. I know you're not interested in it, you've made that painfully clear, but pretending it doesn't exist is on another level. It makes you look like a flat earther. You can be as indifferent to it all you like but you'll just come across as being like a self-appointed football expert who only watches the world cup, or someone who talks **** about tennis players when they only ever watch Wimbledon. It doesn't make you a hipster, it makes you ignorant.

    It's cricket and it's played by cricketers. Accept that, or keep being wrong.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 13-07-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    jimmy101 likes this.
    Join the CW Commentary Discord - https://discord.gg/2cYpfrf

  10. #25
    First Class Debutant
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Mate - one day cricket exists. I know you're not interested in it, you've made that painfully clear, but pretending it doesn't exist is on another level. It makes you look like a flat earther. You can be as indifferent to it all you like but you'll just come across as being like a self-appointed football expert who only watches the world cup, or someone who talks **** about tennis players when they only ever watch Wimbledon. It doesn't make you a hipster, it makes you ignorant.

    It's cricket and it's played by cricketers. Accept that, or keep being wrong.
    Of course it exists, I used to be a fan of one day cricket and follow it a lot. However, especially these days, it requires such different batting skills and approach that it is largely irrelevant to test cricket. Some batsman will possess the skills and the ability to approach the two different forms in the way required and be successful in both forms while others will not. Test match batsmen should be picked on FC ability.

    Has there ever been a successful test match player picked purely on one day form?

    Greg Blewett was largely selected on one day form for Australian A the only time they played in the World Series one day series but he also had a good first class record and after a start of two centuries in his first two test matches was reasonably quickly dropped. He came back based on FC form but never really totally proved himself at test level.

    That is basically what happened with Aaron Finch and he failed. It would be the same with Roy. His first class record shows he is a mediocre FC middle order batsman, very similar to Finch. As an opener he might do well against Ireland, not really a high bar to set but over the long term he will not succeed. He might have the odd good innings, lots of below test match standard batsmen have done that, but long term success is extremely unlikely.

  11. #26
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Of course it exists, I used to be a fan of one day cricket and follow it a lot. However, especially these days, it requires such different batting skills and approach that it is largely irrelevant to test cricket. Some batsman will possess the skills and the ability to approach the two different forms in the way required and be successful in both forms while others will not. Test match batsmen should be picked on FC ability.

    Has there ever been a successful test match player picked purely on one day form?

    Greg Blewett was largely selected on one day form for Australian A the only time they played in the World Series one day series but he also had a good first class record and after a start of two centuries in his first two test matches was reasonably quickly dropped. He came back based on FC form but never really totally proved himself at test level.

    That is basically what happened with Aaron Finch and he failed. It would be the same with Roy. His first class record shows he is a mediocre FC middle order batsman, very similar to Finch. As an opener he might do well against Ireland, not really a high bar to set but over the long term he will not succeed. He might have the odd good innings, lots of below test match standard batsmen have done that, but long term success is extremely unlikely.
    Most people on this forum probably thinks that Roy will fail, but the cupboards are bare and it's obvious what the selectors are going to do, they did it with Buttler and that's been a success as he's averaged 40 since coming back into the side which is significantly better than any of the other clowns we've tried before and basically better than everybody else who's played in the same time period. Also it's not like Roy's not shown mental fortitude, and won't be on a high of form considering he's averaging 70 in the world cup (against international bowling attacks, something the CC lot aren't really doing) so at least he's got stuff going for him and it's not just a blind punt.

  12. #27
    First Class Debutant
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundking View Post
    Most people on this forum probably thinks that Roy will fail, but the cupboards are bare and it's obvious what the selectors are going to do, they did it with Buttler and that's been a success as he's averaged 40 since coming back into the side which is significantly better than any of the other clowns we've tried before and basically better than everybody else who's played in the same time period. Also it's not like Roy's not shown mental fortitude, and won't be on a high of form considering he's averaging 70 in the world cup (against international bowling attacks, something the CC lot aren't really doing) so at least he's got stuff going for him and it's not just a blind punt.
    Buttler has hardly been a great success, done okayish but I am far from convinced he should be the England test side.
    FBU likes this.

  13. #28
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    22,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Buttler has hardly been a great success, done okayish but I am far from convinced he should be the England test side.
    Nor am I but he has done far better since his return than the likes of Malan and Vince so deserves his slot. Aussies will be scared of him too as he can change a game in one session.

  14. #29
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    63*
    Posts
    22,067
    In a bowler-friendly series I can see the value of someone like Roy. Especially given Australia can be prone to wasting the new ball from time to time.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

  15. #30
    First Class Debutant
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    In a bowler-friendly series I can see the value of someone like Roy. Especially given Australia can be prone to wasting the new ball from time to time.
    It is possible that someone like Roy might be able to score a quick 50 or so in a low scoring match with a bit of luck and that might be the difference, but lots of things are possible and not all of them a very likely. I guess another Jason, Gillespie, was highly unlikely to score a test double century but it happened.

    Over the medium to long term I cannot see Roy being a success and choosing the best openers available seems to be more likely to succeed. If I am proved wrong I will take it on the chin and admit it.

Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *Official* Australia A in England 2019
    By aussie tragic in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 310
    Last Post: 22-07-2019, 09:07 PM
  2. **Official** Pakistan in England 2019
    By Howe_zat in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 208
    Last Post: 21-05-2019, 05:48 PM
  3. *Official* England Tour of West Indies 2019
    By Gomez656 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2714
    Last Post: 12-03-2019, 08:34 AM
  4. *Official* Only ODI - Ireland v England
    By James in forum Ashes 2013/2014
    Replies: 219
    Last Post: 04-09-2013, 08:07 AM
  5. ***Official*** Ireland v England at Dublin
    By kiwiviktor81 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 303
    Last Post: 29-08-2011, 07:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •