• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin is to Kohli what Maradona is to Messi?

Is Sachin to Kohli what Maradona is to Messi?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SachinFan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
All those players you mentioned are indeed brash but yet entertaining. I'd probably detest them if I knew them IRL but on a television I'd prefer to watch them.

Haha, agreed, those players are a treat to watch! But Tendulkar or Lara can make me reach ecstasy with their play alone, so there's that! :)

SachinFan

Smith would do fine against spin. Some of the ATG quicks would trouble him though, Rabada has shown that you can drag him across and get him LBW, he was having a pretty poor series individually in that Sandpaper-gate tour.
Anybody who is constantly shuffling across the stumps like Smith and Dhawan are dead candidates for plumb LBWs or bowled outs. Waqar in his heydays would have got Smith out probably 3 times in one over with reverse swinging yorkers.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yes, precisely. I did not compare Kohli to Messi, just that Kohli is to cricket what Messi is to football - champion in non-WC matches, but on the grandest stage, both kind of falter. Kohli has one more WC to make amends though. But still, Sachin had done it in 3 World Cups - 1996, 2003 and 2011. India reached the 96 WC semifinal virtually on his shoulders. He scored more in that World Cup than the next 4 batsmen combined! Now that is dominance!
What Messi is to football is the greatest player of all time. The samecannot be said of Kohli/cricket.

SachinFan

What Messi is to football is the greatest player of all time. The samecannot be said of Kohli/cricket.
Sorry buddy. Messi had been a complete dud in World Cup. If you cannot play well in World Cup, you are not fit to be called the greatest. If playing well in Champions League is the index of superiority, then the same can be said of playing in bilateral series or Asia Cups as well. And there, like I said, Kohli is lightyears ahead of everybody - Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara, Smith, Sangakkara, Kallis, even the mighty Viv, etc. Sure, he is just excellent in tests, not yet phenomenal, but he will be, soon. He is to ODIs what Bradman is to tests - the greatest ever (by your logic).

Just compare yourself, his numbers are as legendary in ODIs as Bradman's were in tests, all other greats just pale, absolutely pale, when compared to him:

kohli vs ponting
kohli vs lara
kohli vs kallis
kohli vs sangakkara
kohli vs hayden
kohli vs gilchrist
kohli vs inzamam
kohli vs ganguly
kohli vs haynes
kohli vs jayasuriya
kohli vs sehwag
kohli vs anwar
kohli vs dravid
kohli vs miandad

If you discount the World Cup/knockout bit, he has to be the greatest ODI batsman in cricket, and since he is equally metronomic in T20s, and outstanding (if not yet phenomenal) in tests, a case can be made that he is the greatest batsman in cricket. Yes, keeping Bradman in mind.

Last edited:

Burner

International Regular
Champions League on the level of a JAMODI series

I love it
What Argentina fans and maybe Maradona fans specifically hold against Messi is that he has never performed for his country like Maradona has. I'd say Sachin fans would say the same in due time if Kohli does not do anything in the 2023 WC knock outs as well.

Yet is Messi not the greatest footballer? If you take the Cricket view of judging a career based on a handful of games, he isn't.

Malcolm

U19 Vice-Captain
Sorry buddy. Messi had been a complete dud in World Cup. If you cannot play well in World Cup, you are not fit to be called the greatest.
Messi was the Golden Ball (player of the tournament ) winner in the 2014 edition of the WC. If he was a dud, so was Sachin in 2003.

SachinFan

What Argentina fans and maybe Maradona fans specifically hold against Messi is that he has never performed for his country like Maradona has. I'd say Sachin fans would say the same in due time if Kohli does not do anything in the 2023 WC knock outs as well.

Yet is Messi not the greatest footballer? If you take the Cricket view of judging a career based on a handful of games, he isn't.
Exactly, that is what I am saying. Maradona gained that elite status because he won the World Cup virtually single handedly. Champions League is great, no doubt, but nothing beats the pedigree of World Cup.

Messi probably is the greatest footballer of all time, but in that way, Kohli is the greatest ODI batsman of all time as well, if the indices are metronomic dominance, big difference from others, consistency for years, etc. Yet as long as Kohli continues to not deliver on the big stage, voices will keep on growing stroner that scoring centuries in bilateral series does not make you a great batsman, scoring runs and winning the match on the biggest stages do.

Last edited:

SachinFan

You forgot that LO cricket literally doesn't matter though

Agreed, that the ultimate measure is test cricket, but this post is about ODI cricket. :) But on a separate note, we often are a bit to snob about the status of ODIs as compared to tests, which I reckon is uncalled for. It may aply to T20s, which involves just 20 overs, but 50 overs cricket still has enough fuel to test a batsman's resilience, temperament and technique.

SachinFan

Champions League on the level of a JAMODI series

I love it

Everything pales when compared to World Cups, mate. Everything. Champiosn League may add 80 more clubs, and still its viewership and cachet will be a far cary from that of a World Cup.

SachinFan

Messi was the Golden Ball (player of the tournament ) winner in the 2014 edition of the WC. If he was a dud, so was Sachin in 2003.
So was Luca Modric this time, yet how many players remember matches of pure brilliance from Modric in this World Cup or Messi in that World Cup? Kohli also played pretty well in this World Cup, he consistently scored half centuries, yet he did not dominate, played second fiddle. All matches were carried through by Rohit Sharma, K.L Rahul or Dhawan, he just played second fiddle. That is why he did not score the highest runs in any match (except may be against West Indies, who unfortunately are minnows these days, even Bangladesh beats them comfortably), he did not play any dominating innings in the tournament.

Contrast that to Sachin in 2003 or Maradona in in 1986. Millions of people still get goosebumps when they remember Sachin's 98 against Pakistan, 97 against Sri Lanka, 50 against England, 83 in quarter final. He was the highest scorer in that tournament, highest scorer for India in most matches, dominant enough to steal the limelight in most (or at least many) matches. Just like Maradona did in in 1986, winning the semifinal single handedly in one of the greatest showdowns of all time, did phenomenal dribbling and passing throughout the tournament, to the point that he was singlehandedly man-marked, contributed to goals in the final by passing the ball perfectly. Just like Zidane did in 1998, Ronaldo in 2002.

Winning the golden ball is not index of dominance and phenomenal play in a World Cup. You have to give impactful performances taht won you the cup, worth remembering for a lifetime, Sachin did, Maradona, did, Zidane did, Ronaldo did, Wasim Akram did, Yuvraj Singh did.

Kohli or Messi hasn't. Yet. Not one of the "World Cup Xi" by the experts, or public polls fro Fantasy XI, has Kohli. Sachin was there in every World Cup XI team by experts in 2003, generally the first choice.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just like Maradona did in in 1986, winning the semifinal single handedly

He won the QF with a single hand too

SachinFan

SachinFan, your football knowledge is sadly lacking.
I am not too much of a football fan, I agree. I know Messi is phenomenal in league matches, but i have been observing him for last 3-4 World Cups, he always comes out to be a damp squib, nowhere near how well he plays in domestic leagues.

SachinFan

Never realised Sachin was a fat drugged up cheat. Learn something new every day.
LOL. Maradona was drugged up cheat and everything, but he was lso the greatest footballer to have ever lived, so Sachin will always be privileged if he is compared to Maradona!

Status
Not open for further replies.