• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Under-19 Internationals Thread

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Frankly I was almost a touch surprised Harvey didn't go to the last U19 World Cup, in part just because there wasn't any left handers in the squad. Has spent a fair bit of time around the Victorian setup already. I imagine that he will form the core of the batting lineup with Oliver Davies and probably Sam Fanning, but really your guess is as good as mine as to how the team will actually end up.

Wonder where skyscraper left arm quick Matt Willans is? Would think he would have to be in their plans if fit. Opened the bowling alongside Stanlake in a QLD inter squad trial game, quite possibly one of the tallest new ball partnerships in cricketing history

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Young Harvey reminds me very much of Phil Hughes, technique-wise. If he can have half the start to his First-class career as Phil did then he'll be well off.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Awesome idea for a thread!

Our Under 17 competition is on at the moment and the coverage from the board has been awful/non-existent. However, a local media company filmed some of yesterdays match between T & T and Jamaica.

A couple of the pacers were extremely impressive but the batting was mostly horrific and some of the shots when chasing under pressure were worthy of our senior team!

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
3-nil to Australia (and a rainout) solid stuff all in all. Few encouraging performances.

Batting:

Mackenzie Harvey (LHB) 192 runs at 192 (twice unbeaten in run chases)
Oliver Davies (RHB) 158 runs at 79
Max Clayton (RHB) 117 runs at 39

Bowling:

Tanveer Sangha (LBG) 6 wickets at 9.33
Ryan Walker (SLC) 4 wickets at 23.75
Liam Marshall (RFM) 3 wickets at 20.33

Expect all of the above in the U19 WC squad

Liam Marshall apparently has a bit of pace, but I have only really seen about an over from him

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah memo to Peter Fulton, rotating the one or two classy age group performers out of the XI in a dead rubber against Australia seems pretty rugbyish of you tbh. These aren't really JAMODIs, and New Zealand isn't going to achieve match wins in U19 World Cups because of that 14th-most-talented guy coming in off the bench and killing it. Let's be real here.

Also slightly disheartened to see so many flickers of activity in the dirty old Plunket Shield engine room spots of 10 and 11, as far as the run production went.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Damn didn't realize Kippax was more of a win-at-all-costs than a get-those-participation-numbers-up kind of guy

andmark

International Captain
A Scotland U-19 player plays at my local club. Got a century at the weekend but has averaged something like 19 this season. A good bowling average of 17 though.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Damn didn't realize Kippax was more of a win-at-all-costs than a get-those-participation-numbers-up kind of guy
Well I've always been a believer that a surge in 'no more limelight for you' ressentiment towards classy performers, people who in a previous era would've tried to shape tastes downwards, but nowadays are often so new to the country that they don't really feel it's their right or duty to, probably will be something we'll rue horribly in the longer-term. As seen even on this very forum, with a lot of the higher quality New Zealand posts coming from science majors turned runaways, like Straw Man and Meridio and so on.

McCullum did sort of signify an important rejection of the smug and cantankerous establishment, but again, he loves his pleasures and freedoms far too much to actually go on with what he started and become any kind of Bolshevik force, one who genuinely agonises at night about making the Otago Volts less of a bereft and downtrodden entity than they currently are. A bit like Christopher Hitchens, you've got to be sort of wary of these bon vivants who spent their whole youth trying to light the blue touch paper on a 'chup in, don't dominate' egalitarian fire, one which they fully intended to just run away from if they succeeded.

Flem274*

123/5
i dont know what you just said but i enjoyed it

crush all opposition. dont let those kids come home until they do.

cnerd123

likes this
I mean it can't be all that bad Kippax. NZ are on the verge of their first ever WC victory and have made two finals on the trot. Flem has taken over the forum has drunk Burgey, and the Doom and Gloom thread hasn't seen any business in almost a year

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf, given Kippax's focus on U19 and high school cricket, it's not hard to see why he'd be a bit pessimistic. Participation in cricket amongst 2ndary school kids in NZ has fallen 50% since 2000, and didn't really profit from 2015 to any notable extent.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbf, given Kippax's focus on U19 and high school cricket, it's not hard to see why he'd be a bit pessimistic. Participation in cricket amongst 2ndary school kids in NZ has fallen 50% since 2000, and didn't really profit from 2015 to any notable extent.
Yeah a 'BCs or gtfo' type of fan would be wise to never get too downhearted by shocking NZ U19 results, just one or two decent talents taken from say seven U19 WC cycles, plus the fact New Zealand is a pleasant enough place to relocate to, that should be enough to keep the shop window looking quite good.

I guess my hope is that the internet continues to facilitate a flourishing of very driven and smarter young New Zealand players somehow, that they can sort of harness that to reach above the humble and uninspiring Peter Fulton or Matthew Bell figure, who at least is still residing in the country and taking on the task, but who'll probably inadvertently guide youths towards associating the game with a pretty dull and dowdy sort of enterprise.

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Our Under 19 competition is being streamed this year, which has been great.

I've watched quite a bit and concluded that we've got some unbelievable fast bowling talent but no real spinners and absolutely awful batting. The pitches have been a little up and down but that no batsmen have even looked like scoring big is very worrying. Still, the following pacers look extremely good:

- Che Simmons (Barbados): Nice action, quite tall, one of the fastest in the tournament at age 15. Freakish talented. Has roughed up a fair few batsmen.

- Matthew Forde (Barbados): very tall, muscular. Bowls at decent pace, moves the ball both ways at will. Has outskilled a lot of batsmen.

Michael Thompson (Jamaica): Very slingy action. A bit wild but extremely quick and generally beats the openers for pace.

Looking forward to seeing how they develop, but our batting future is looking as bad as it ever has IMHO.

Ulzan69

Banned
Few games left for final in tri series u19 in eng

BDU 19 lead point table.yesterday we beat eng U 19 by 1 wicket.Jaiswal hits 78 for India u19