• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan ex Cricketers say the World Cup was 'designed' and 'tailored' by ICC

Attitude

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Rashid Latif and Shoaib Akhtar were involved in a panel discussion where they have raised some doubts over the validity of the England vs NZ result and have implied it was all a little fishy and efforts were made to deliberately knock out Pakistan.

Rashid said that Eng should have scored 375 after that start but barely got to 300. Had they scored those extra runs Pakistan would have had a realistic shot at qualification against Bangladesh.

They also say that NZ was helped by Eng as with NZ reeling at 4 down in the 17th over, Eng switched to Joe Root for a short spell to make it easy for NZ to get closer to an NRR saving position.

The anchor then explicitly said that world cup table was tailored and designed this way when showing the points table.

Rashid Latif then raised questions about the revised ICC big three payouts in 2017, wherein BCCI will get $250 million less than what was agreed in 2015 when the big three was set up, while all other teams will get roughly $50 million extra as per the revised payouts.

Latif asked why would the BCCI willingly take a $250 million hit. What did it get in return from the other boards? No one would want to lose $250 million for no reason. BTW ECB is1 the other board which got a hit in the revised payout plan of $40 million.

There are all Rashid's number's btw, I haven't checked or verified them.

I would post the video but I don't know if such 'pirated' videos can be posted here and at any rate, most of it is in Hindi/Urdu/non-English. However, if anyone is interested they could find video easily with an England vs NZ fix Saamanya Gyan (name of channel) search on youtube.

I found this kind of conspiracy theory laughable to say the least. However since these implied fixing allegation have been made, I thought it was worth sharing.

Thoughts?

cnerd123

likes this
Lmao

Fixing aside, the whole BCCI money thing is hilarious. If the BCCI takes more money, they're greedy. If they take less money, they're buying out the other boards.

So many Pakistanis are so salty that 1992 didn't repeat itself. Now is probably the ideal time for a Pak Passion invasion

Howe_zat

Audio File
'Action was deliberately taken to knock Pakistan out.'

Of course it was. England and NZ both wanted to make the semis. England deliberately won and then NZ deliberately tried to not get bowled out.

May as well point out that West Indies deliberately tried to knock Pakistan out when they skittled them in their first innings. Cause, y'know, they did

What are the other sides supposed to do? Accidentally knock other teams out?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Things like this is what makes Pakistan getting knocked out so desirable. It would have been even more glorious to see the meltdown if Afghanistan had finished the job last Saturday, but this is a decent consolation.

trundler

Akhtar is basically our Vaughn. Shut up ****.

It's somewhat of a cultural thing to pretend that the whole world is plotting against us.

Burgey

You’re all so quick to pan them, but if anyone knows a fix when they see it, it’s 1990s Pakistani cricketer

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan loves its conspiracy theories. Don't intend to bring politics into it but I read somewhere that Imran Khan tried to convince Viv Richards that 9/11 was carried out by America against itself. That's one of the smarter blokes coming from Pakistan.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Amazing that they think in the form we're in, that we are able to be compliant in any form of match fixing other than to lose badly.

It's also amazing that teams have a cry about the thing they'd absolutely do themselves. Pakistan wouldn't go slow and bat 50 overs to ensure their NRR was sufficient to make the semis? They wouldn't put in a half-arsed effort if a theoretical win would put them in the semis v India as opposed to v NZ? I mean, sorry, but this is a country with a rich history of match fixing, ball tampering etc and they're throwing their arms up about situations they would happily involve themselves in as well?

Please.

For the record, I don't believe for a second we went slow to protect our run rate. Nor did England pull up to score 300. Why the bloody hell would they pull up for 300, when losing had the potential to see them exit the tournament? England bowled Root because the pitch went slow, which is also why England scored 300. And why our out of form and out of depth to a point batsmen couldn't chase the total.

Long time since we read all that stuff about how the 1992 Cup and this one were being mirrored in terms of Pakistan's results. So sad.

OK, I just reacted to trolls. It's just so tempting.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This whole thing is so bad that if I'd written and put my name on it I'd have died from embarrassment.

I love how it's predicated on England not only scoring a greater total that most others in the tournament, but NZ still getting bowled out for the same total. Just because you can back-calculate it doesn't make it plausible.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Surprisingly, if they'd been a better team and won more games in the tournament, they would have made it to the semis on their own volition.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
it should be the other way round. I keep thinking but not saying out loud in all icc tournaments they want and try to make India and pakistan meet as much as possible because it makes sense that it would be in their best interests. The 17 CT if anything seemed a lot 'fishier' than this considering that Pakistan have performed like minnows in ODI cricket since and almost got knocked out early there.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
What does it matter? It's not "fishy". Team that win the most games get into semis.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
it should be the other way round. I keep thinking but not saying out loud in all icc tournaments they want and try to make India and pakistan meet as much as possible because it makes sense that it would be in their best interests. The 17 CT if anything seemed a lot 'fishier' than this considering that Pakistan have performed like minnows in ODI cricket since and almost got knocked out early there.
Myth. It's not true at all in world cups. Excepting 92 and 2019 world cups when all teams played all teams, in other 10 world cups only twice have India and Pakistan been in the same group. Given there have been just 2 groups in most cases (except 2007), they should have ended in same group about half the time, not one-fifth. That sounds more like trying their hardest to avoid India-Pak game.

Borges

International Regular
Asia Cup is where the fixtures are rigged to make India and Pakistan meet more than once; at least twice, hopefully thrice.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2007 the groups were rigged so Pak and India would meet in round 2. Just because neither were good enough to qualify doesn't change that fact.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure if serious. All teams that were going to qualify to super 8s were going to play each other. Same as what happened in 1999 and 2003 in super sixes.

OverratedSanity

Myth. It's not true at all in world cups. Excepting 92 and 2019 world cups when all teams played all teams, in other 10 world cups only twice have India and Pakistan been in the same group. Given there have been just 2 groups in most cases (except 2007), they should have ended in same group about half the time, not one-fifth. That sounds more like trying their hardest to avoid India-Pak game.
Dave Richardson literally admitted they do it.

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/sports/icc-admits-to-purposely-putting-india-pakistan-in-same-group/article8682256.ece

India and Pakistan are set to meet in the group stage of Champions Trophy in England next year, making the mouthwatering clash a reality for the fifth tournament in succession. “No doubt we want to try to put India versus Pakistan in our event,” ICC chief executive Dave Richardson was quoted as saying by ‘The Telegraph’.

“It’s hugely important from an ICC point of view. It’s massive around the world and the fans have come to expect it as well. It’s fantastic for the tournament because it gives it a massive kick.”