• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hussain retiring?

Slow Love™

International Captain
Just read about this in cricinfo. Apparently he's to announce his future within the next 24-48 hours.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...NEWS/2004/MAY/153939_ENGNZ2004_25MAY2004.html

As an Australian, I've always appreciated Hussein's tenacity, and particularly his willingness to call it as he saw it, and not let his career be "controlled" by his detractors. He managed to quit the English captaincy (no mean feat, really), because he was unhappy about how the team had been treated over their concerns with touring Zimbabwe, and now it seems like he'll end his career right at a point when his place in the team, so often attacked (stupidly, IMO) has been so very well vindicated.

If he does retire, good luck to the man. He'll always have my respect.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
I would be suprised if Hussain did retire, because previously I heard that he wanted to at least play 100 Tests.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, he has said that, but it would be typical of him to ignore the press when they wanted him out, score a great ton to win the game and get them on his side, then just walk away and metaphorically stick 2 fingers up to them (as supposed to 3!)

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I think the thing that made him think was that Strauss did so well. He didn't want to keep a good, young player out. (Assuming that Strauss would be dropped for Vaughan for the next test).

I have an easy solution to the problem - drop Butcher and bat Strauss or Vaughan or Trescothik at 3. (when was Butcher's last big score?)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
mavric41 said:
I think the thing that made him think was that Strauss did so well. He didn't want to keep a good, young player out. (Assuming that Strauss would be dropped for Vaughan for the next test).

I have an easy solution to the problem - drop Butcher and bat Strauss or Vaughan or Trescothik at 3. (when was Butcher's last big score?)
How's about the previous test (or don't 2 half-centuries in the same one count?), a couple of other fifties and an unbeaten 46 in the Caribbean too?

Without Butcher in the West Indies it's conceivable that we would have drawn or even lost the series.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I did say BIG score. :D

I didn't follow the ENG/WI series that closely but I can see that he deserves his spot.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
While 'Nas' has been a great stalwart for England, I think it may be a good thing for him to retire while he is still performing reasonably.

I think his recent average (ie. batting average in last 2 years) is AFAIK less than what it was previously, suggesting a decline in form which has been a gradual steady one [as opposed to a temporary sudden dip in form]. He himself probably knows this too well and that's why he is contemplating retirement. From what I have observed, in the last 2 years he seems to come up with few 40s and 50s interspersed with several scores of <10. While his Century at Lords is welcome, one good performance cannot overshadow the underlying trend in his batting form which has been on the decline. Time to let him go.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Now is certainly not the time for Hussain to go. He has proven himself in a lot of tough situations. His presence is very much needed in the England middle order. Strauss did have a dream debut but I don't think he should be preferred over Hussain at this point. Hussain has been in the team for a long time now and his value to the team is higher than Strauss.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
JASON said:
While 'Nas' has been a great stalwart for England, I think it may be a good thing for him to retire while he is still performing reasonably.

I think his recent average (ie. batting average in last 2 years) is AFAIK less than what it was previously
er, not really.

His batting average at the present time is as high as it's been at any time over the last 5 years. It's only ever been significantly higher than current on three separate occasions throughout his entire career, and then only after a couple of big unbeaten knocks.

(checks yesterday's scorecard, walks away whistling, pretending no-one notices the irony)