• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current third-best spinner?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Who would currently be the third-best spin bowler in the world? I think it's a given that Murali and Warne are in a league of their own, so who would come in at number 3?

In my opinion, on current form, it would be Kumble, however, a case could be made for MacGill. Can't really think of any others at this point.

bhooth nath

School Boy/Girl Captain
on current form, i would go with kumble being the 2nd best spinner after muralitharan. muralitharan belongs to a class of his own. anil kumble is in the form of his life taking 39 wickets in his last 6 test matches playing in away conditions. kumble has suddenly rediscovered himself and is bowling more wicket-taking deliveries and googlies now. 3rd best is warne after kumble. the real post should have been for the 4th best spinner after muralitharan, kumble and warne.

Andre

International Regular
Personally, for mine, Warnie is still number 1. Murali runs a close second, but there's just something about Warne that tells me he's a better bowler than Murali and he's only getting better.

As for 3rd, your looking towards a fully-fit Harbhajan, Kumble, MacGill, Danish Kaneria and 2 outsiders in Mo Rafique and Raymond Price.

IMO, Kumble just pips Kaneria.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
To me on performance ,

Murali = Warne - there's little in it.

Then, Anil Kumble = Harbhajan Singh .

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I like Harby - class act. So easy to take the mickey out of too. (see DD's passim).
What's a spin bowler for if you can't rib them?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Warne yes because he's returned.

McGrath nobody has yet said to be fair.

Besides that, they were both good before their breaks from the game...

Loony BoB

International Captain
Richardson? :D

But seriously, those Bangladeshi fellas impressed me in the recent ODI's against the Windies, and I'll be interested to see how they do in the future because they're certainly right up there in my eyes - although I've had a cricket-drought for a year or two, which means I can't say much on many countries at the moment.

twctopcat

International Regular
Got to be Kumble over Harbhajan. For a start Kumble is the form man and has taken a fair few wickets in his time to put it lightly. Also he is more useful being a wrist spinner whereas Harbhajan tends to need taylor made pitches to perform, though when he does he is pretty handy. After the Australia tour i realised how clever Kumble is, as clever as the big two, but cannot always execute to there level.

Craig

World Traveller
Warne, Murali and Kumble IMO. Kumble's bowling efforts v Australia gets him up to3rd spot.

Ray Price? We have lost (at this stage) potentially a world class left arm spinner.

a massive zebra

International Captain
On current form Murali is without doubt the best and Warne is a long way ahead of the rest. Kumble definitely deserves 3rd place after his excellent recent form against Australia and Pakistan, especially considering Harbhajan, Saqlain and MacGill have been rather laclustre recently. Rafique gives substance to an otherwise unthreatening bowling attack.

1. Murali
2. Warne
3. Kumble
4. Rafique

chicane

State Captain
tooextracool said:
interestingly enough the youngest bowler there is aged 32...doesnt hold good for the future of spin bowling does it?
We got Murali Kartik and Ramesh Powar. Sri Lanka have Rangana Herath. Pakistan have Danish Kaneria. All of them are for the future.