• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current third-best spinner?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Sudeep Popat said:
I would say Harbhajan, but depends on what "current" means here.
Yes Harbhajan has had a better career than Rafique, but has done nothing in what I would call recent times, and is part of a much better bowling attack than the Bangladeshi which helps improve his overall figures (excluding wickets per match).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sudeep Popat said:
Murali has a birth defect in his spinning arm, hasn't he? Which has been proved to help him. So in reality, he didn't develop any skills, he has been gifted with them.
If that were the case any person born with the same defect would be taking wickets by the bucketload.

Sudeep Popat said:
Also, Murali as far as I can see, doesn't have that many variations, and whatever innovations he has brought have been proved illegal haven't they?
1 ball has been deemed illegal, so therefore you're saying he only has 2 different balls?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Marc when I first posted my view that Murali > Warne you were keen to prove my considerate evidence wrong so why are you now criticising Sundeep?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If an argument is flawed I comment on it - as IMO both yours and Sudeep's to be.

My personal opinion - which incidentally has Ashley Giles as the best spinner in the World (based on performances in the last 7 days) - doesn't come into it.

chicane

State Captain
marc71178 said:
which incidentally has Ashley Giles as the best spinner in the World (based on performances in the last 7 days)
K since no other quality spinner is bowling ATM Ashley Giles can have his seven days of fame. :D

a massive zebra

International Captain
marc71178 said:
My personal opinion - which incidentally has Ashley Giles as the best spinner in the World (based on performances in the last 7 days) - doesn't come into it.
I sense some light humour......

or insanity....... :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It is humour, but I'm also making a serious point (that my opinion doesn't make a difference if an argument is flawed)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Murali has a birth defect in his spinning arm, hasn't he? Which has been proved to help him. So in reality, he didn't develop any skills, he has been gifted with them.

What is the point of such a statement? Everyone and THEIR MOTHER know that it takes a certain amount of natural skill to be a great sportsman in whichever sport he/she may choose. You can't deny Murali his due just because he was BORN with all the talent. I mean, going by that assessment, Gary Kirsten must be the best batsman in the world, I would think he had little talent and had to work incredibly hard to achieve what he did. Shouldn't that make him better than Bradman, who was born with great skill?

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
interestingly enough the youngest bowler there is aged 32...doesnt hold good for the future of spin bowling does it?
Why is that?

Spinners tend to hit their peak from their mid to late 20's, it is the same as batsmen.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
Ponting is number one at turning people green with envy.

8-)
Old Scallywag's far from a fool
but becoming too predictabule.
Gives me just what I'm wanting -
a message 'bout Ponting -
to compare him to Tooextracool.

biased indian

International Coach
Scallywag said:
Kumble would be the third best spinner.

McGill would be second.

Warne would be one.

:)
how come kumble is there?? :@ :wacko:

what about lehman,bevan,hogg,clarke arent they good enogh to be no 3

Sudeep

International Captain
honestbharani said:
What is the point of such a statement? Everyone and THEIR MOTHER know that it takes a certain amount of natural skill to be a great sportsman in whichever sport he/she may choose. You can't deny Murali his due just because he was BORN with all the talent. I mean, going by that assessment, Gary Kirsten must be the best batsman in the world, I would think he had little talent and had to work incredibly hard to achieve what he did. Shouldn't that make him better than Bradman, who was born with great skill?
Ok cancel everything I said if you want.

I just say Warne and Kumble are better to ME.

Fine?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Mate, you are totally entitled to have your own opinion but I was just pointing out that your way of reasoning seemed to be wrong, atleast to me.