• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Please fire Gary Stead and Gavin Larsen" thread

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
There's a core of truth in Stead being reluctant to rock the boat and some sub-optimal selections (though a few potential players also didn't help themselves) - let's see how this tournament pans out before getting the pitchforks out though.
Ok it's time to get the pitchforks out now.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Yeah, I’m in. 123/5 batting first on a road was the final straw. I never liked Farmer Stead and the Postman anyway. Totally uninspiring. They stink of the “We’re little battling NZ” mentality. After having the good fortune of winning the WTC we should have got rid of them. Literally the worst pair of ****s to have at the helm when the goal should have been to stay at the top and build a legacy of winning.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Fire David White, Gary Stead, and Shane Jurgensen. Please. Then we can be good again.
Absolute passenger this guy. He's been blasted on here before but very rarely. Escapes attention and criticism like 98% of the times. I've literally had to google "current nz bowling coach" quite a bit over the years to remind my self that there's a bloke named shane jurgenurgenjurgensen in our setup. Guy gets paid to set up stumps and do throwdowns lol...nothing else.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
How about Ronchi as batting coach? Our batting really has fallen off the last few years too, as that cricinfo article showed the other day.

McMillan and Fulton seemed to get much better results.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Yup. Ronchi's an npc too.

We've gone from donald, bond to dimtri maschacaronmacaron and now jurgens. NPC-mania.

DougieRydal

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Looks like Stead's up for another round, so now it's up to NZC..

“The next cycle of the World Test Championship games is after my contract’s out, and I guess we'll just have to wait and see how that evolves with time and where New Zealand Cricket and I get to, with discussions around my future ... it's too early to know. If that happens, that happens – everyone's shelf life comes to an end at some stage. So if it's deemed that I can't offer anything more to the team, then I walk away a happy man still.”

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
This is the time to remind ourselves that Steady basically told us to 'lower our expectations' and 'not be arrogant' after losing at home to Bangladesh last summer.

I don't blame a particular result, in cricket, on a coach, especially in cricket. But that told me then that Stead is not the man for this job. He still has basically NZ's best generation of talent ever, currently only minus Boult. We need someone with higher expectations and a bit of ambition.