• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Chance Average

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We may have had a thread about this before, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone's FCA actually quoted.

In fact it seems there is one, calculated by a very sad man who devoted many years to a study of Don Bradman

The gentleman in question (a lawyer by trade, obviously) calculated that if every catch the Don ever offered had been held he would still have had a Test average of 74.79

91Jmay

International Coach
Typical fred. Such a Bradman shill. Do you think he really averaged 99? I've got the documents, lithium in the water meant his bat was artificially large and the fielders were paid actors. Eric Hollis wasn't even a real man.

mr_mister

There are archived ball by ball commentary lists from Bradmans day? Where would he have found evidence of dropped catches/chances?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some research that but still shows how amazing Bradman was that even with that stat he was head and shoulders above everyone else. Very nerdy though to even bother with it.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
We may have had a thread about this before, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone's FCA actually quoted.

In fact it seems there is one, calculated by a very sad man who devoted many years to a study of Don Bradman

The gentleman in question (a lawyer by trade, obviously) calculated that if every catch the Don ever offered had been held he would still have had a Test average of 74.79
So basically Bradman didn't add that many runs after getting life. What a hack.

andmark

International Captain
What's the methodology for this? I'd assume several newspaper reports for each chance and maybe some autobiographies and Wisden reports. The cross-referencing would be mind-numbing.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member

was he related to richard?

mr_mister

This is an insane statistic. Really shows you how incredible he was.
He was all about hitting the ball on the ground and not giving the opposition chances. Which is the key to run scoring really - but weak minds look for the easy option