• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's openers at Headingley.

Who should face the New Ball for England at Headingley?

• Total voters

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
why exactly would you do that? we all know of trescothicks weakness against the swinging ball....i wouldnt have him opening the batting at all let alone on the seamer friendly wicket at headingly.
Which part of 'spinners have been taking the bulk of the wickets at Headingley so far this season' don't you understand?

One thing, though - I would LOVE to see Trescothick come in at 5 or 6

Craig

World Traveller
Which makes leaving out Giles even harder.

If Hussain doesnt retire, then unfortunatly he will playing for Warwickshire instead of England.

If Hussain retires, then yes he is a certainty.

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Which part of 'spinners have been taking the bulk of the wickets at Headingley so far this season' don't you understand?
and what part of 'trescothick shouldnt be opening the batting anywhere in the world' do you not understand?unless you think that daniel vettori will be opening the bowling with mark richardson at headingly.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
and what part of 'trescothick shouldnt be opening the batting anywhere in the world' do you not understand?unless you think that daniel vettori will be opening the bowling with mark richardson at headingly.
I'm a man of simple tastes.

There are two things in the world which make me very happy.
1. Nottingham Forest losing
2. Someone whom I only suspected of looking foolish actually (metaphorically) opening their mouth and confirming it themselves.

To quote
as a retort is one thing.

To respond
and what part of 'trescothick shouldnt be opening the batting anywhere in the world' do you not understand?unless you think that daniel vettori will be opening the bowling with mark richardson at headingly
is perfectly acceptable - apart from one thing.

The message you snipped it from also had
One thing, though - I would LOVE to see Trescothick come in at 5 or 6
as its second part.

Nice one, TEC

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
'Which part of 'spinners have been taking the bulk of the wickets at Headingley so far this season' don't you understand?'
the quote 'spinners have been taking the bulk of the wickets at headingly' hasnt been stated anywhere else in this thread....so to bring that up in the first place was foolish.
the point is that trescothick shouldnt be opening the batting. so if you are going to quote,respond to the quote at hand instead of bringing up irrelevant topics which it seems quite a few of your posts are.

PY

International Coach
tooextracool said:
the quote 'spinners have been taking the bulk of the wickets at headingly' hasnt been stated anywhere else in this thread....so to bring that up in the first place was foolish.
the point is that trescothick shouldnt be opening the batting. so if you are going to quote,respond to the quote at hand instead of bringing up irrelevant topics which it seems quite a few of your posts are.
I'm going to save Eddie the trouble.

You said Trescothick shouldn't open because of Headingley being a seamers' paradise but it isn't. As Eddie pointed out, and Marc in the Eng v NZ thread, Headingley has been a bit of a spinning paradise so far this season. As Trescothick is a far from bad player of spin, your argument becomes redundant.

:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
ideally vaughan should be batting at 3 IMO

Why 3?

He's never had any significant Cricket in his First Class career at 3, and we have one of the best number 3s in our history there at the moment!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Why 3?

He's never had any significant Cricket in his First Class career at 3, and we have one of the best number 3s in our history there at the moment!
TEC says so.

It is Richard, isn't it?

tooextracool

International Coach
PY said:
I'm going to save Eddie the trouble.

You said Trescothick shouldn't open because of Headingley being a seamers' paradise but it isn't. As Eddie pointed out, and Marc in the Eng v NZ thread, Headingley has been a bit of a spinning paradise so far this season. As Trescothick is a far from bad player of spin, your argument becomes redundant.

:)
i understand that headingly hasnt been a seamers paradise so far this season but i dont follow english domestic cricket and i dont know about that.

eddies quote: Which part of 'spinners have been taking the bulk of the wickets at Headingley so far this season' don't you understand?

why put those quotes if no one in this thread has mentioned that spinners have taken the bulk of the wickets this season?seems to me like eddie was trying to tell me that i have misread marc's statement when the fact is i havent.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
because as of late he has been having problems against the seaming new ball, most of his dismissals recently have been caught behind. besides hes one of our best batsman, and those players generally bat 1 down.

marc71178 said:
hes never had any success in his first class career period.
thats why said "ideally", unfortunately butcher has struggled in every other position and for the benefit of the team he has to open the batting.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
why put those quotes if no one in this thread has mentioned that spinners have taken the bulk of the wickets this season?seems to me like eddie was trying to tell me that i have misread marc's statement when the fact is i havent.
It had the effect of giving people a laugh at your expense.

See? No minus points whatsoever.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
IMO England should continue with the current opening pair. It makes sense to keep them since they have done so well in the first Test.
Can anyone tell me what was Vaughan's average before the captaincy and after the captaincy (ie. Average in Tests in which he has captained) ?

To me that would settle this question, since AFAIK his average must be less than what it was in tests when he was not captain. Therefore it would seem the added burden of Captaincy has had its effect on him as well (like many others before), and therefore he is better off coming in at 4 or 5 instead of opening.

twctopcat

International Regular
luckyeddie said:
TEC says so.

It is Richard, isn't it?
How come TEC never replies to these accusations??? I for one am suspiscious to say the least. First chance what theory?..............

a massive zebra

International Captain
JASON said:
IMO England should continue with the current opening pair. It makes sense to keep them since they have done so well in the first Test.
Can anyone tell me what was Vaughan's average before the captaincy and after the captaincy (ie. Average in Tests in which he has captained) ?

To me that would settle this question, since AFAIK his average must be less than what it was in tests when he was not captain. Therefore it would seem the added burden of Captaincy has had its effect on him as well (like many others before), and therefore he is better off coming in at 4 or 5 instead of opening.
Vaughan as captain: 814 runs @ 33.91 in 13 Tests.
Vaughan as non-captain: 2549 runs @ 50.98 in 31 Tests.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Who said anything about success?

I was talking about even batting there!
so?its a lot easier to move down the order than it is to move up. hes too much of a strokemaker to open the batting.

tooextracool

International Coach
twctopcat said:
How come TEC never replies to these accusations??? I for one am suspiscious to say the least. First chance what theory?..............
when i bring up first chance averages and say that vaas is a better bowler than mcgrath and pollock then perhaps you should be 'suspicious'.

a massive zebra

International Captain
tooextracool said:
when i bring up first chance averages and say that vaas is a better bowler than mcgrath and pollock then perhaps you should be 'suspicious'.
At his best Vaas is better than McGrath and Pollock, the difference is McGrath and Pollock perform consistently while Vaas struggles when conditions do not suit him.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
look, look (points excitedly)