• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yuvraj retires

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
'I have decided to move on' - Yuvraj Singh announces international, IPL retirement | ESPNcricinfo.com

"A very difficult and at the same time a very beautiful moment for me," Yuvraj said. "After 25 years, in and around 22 yards, and after almost 17 years of international cricket on and off, I have decided to move on.
"It was a love-hate relationship with the sport, in retrospect. I don't think I hated the game, because the love I have for it today, which will remain a constant till the end of [my] life. I can't really express in words what is that feeling. This game taught me how to fight, how to fall, to dust myself off and get up again and move forward. I have failed more times than I have succeeded, but I never gave up, and will never give up, till my last breath, and that's what cricket has taught me. I gave my blood and sweat to the game once I got on to it, especially when it came to representing my country."

"As I go back in time today, my life has been like a roller-coaster ride," Yuvraj said. "Winning the 2011 World Cup, being Man of the Series, four Man of the Match awards, was all like a dream, which was followed by a harsh reality, getting diagnosed with cancer. It was like touching the sky and then falling down at light speed and hitting the ground hard. All this happened so quickly, and that too when I was (at) the peak of my career. But in that moment, everyone to whom I mattered, stood together for me - my fans, my friends, my family."
What a hero. Thank you, Yuvraj.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Some fine memories. Always found myself rooting for him to make it in Tests but never happened. As imperious a strokemaker as any on his day. Hope he remains healthy for a long time.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apart from klusener in 99, Yuvraj in 2011 was probably as good an all round performance at a wc as you can hope for. Those troll wickets were glorious.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Such a clutch player. Knew when to turn it on. Both of our great triumphs in modern era had a lot to do with him and Gambhir. Such a joy it was to watch him in his peak. Will be sadly missed.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great man. World champion. Absolute gun when on song. Could take apart the best bowlers with the bat when stakes were high.

Met him once at a wedding in Delhi. He was dancing on the floor for a while with a couple of ladies and Zaheer Khan, all gung-ho. Then, seemed to disappear. I went outside after a while and he was having a very emotional phone call with someone. Left him alone. Went back in later to find him drinking and laughing again. Pretty much sums up the guy, I suppose.

cnerd123

likes this
Quality player. One of India's ODI ATGs. Was one of the guys who helped transition India into a modern-day fielding and batting unit, plus provided us with countless memorable moments.

Strange timing on the announcement, but I assume it's to free him up to pursue international franchise T20 opportunities around the world. Hopefully he has a good run and continues to entertain fans around the globe for the next few years.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Knocked Australia out of the Champions Trophy in his debut game with a swift innings of 84, back in 2000.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Left a gap in the middle order that India is struggling to fill even now, it was such a shame that the cancer struck right when he was on the top of his powers, really showed his spirit by making the comeback but was never the same player really.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember he was in a period of poor form in the leadup to the 2011 WC, he was mocked here for his weight, with the name "Waterboy" (including me) and proved everyone wrong spectacularly in the World Cup.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Won us two World cups, beat cancer... What more to say about this champion! So many special innings that I can recall - The 84* vs Australia after the match fixing scandal. That epic catch of Rhodes in 2002 Champions trophy SF. The T20 WC (that 70 off 30 against Australia was just so good. Made a start of 45 from 9 overs in to a 180+ score.). Winning 2011 WC while suffering from cancer. Just a champion all around.