• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England is number 1 cuz they poached the best players from other countries not fair

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Maybe other countries should be so nice to live in and then they'd be able to do the same

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Oh ffs. Rashid and Ali were born in noted Pakistani towns Bradford and Birmingham, respectively - decades after their families moved. They're hardly 'foreigners'.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Look, yeah sure ten years ago I thought it was funny to make 'lol England foreigners' jokes because they had Strauss-Trott-Pietersen-Prior running around in the top seven, but fmd its a tired, nonsensical beat-up.

Especially when it's such an inconsistent line -- Jason Roy apparently doesn't count because he wasn't born in England (he moved aged 10), but Adil Rashid doesn't count either despite being born in ****ing Bradford.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
As discussed previously I have a slight problem with the way England proactively scouts talent in Barbados (Archer and Jordan) and Anguilla (though they haven't found much yet) but at the end of the day they both chose to play for England, it was their call. It doesn't seem right or fair but is just a reality of life, there's not much that can be done.

Morgan will never happen again as Ireland are now a test nation, it was a sign of the times. Roy, Rashid, Ali etc are all British, that's really not fair.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I'm not a fan of the Archer types but it is pretty infuriating when people try to say Ali and Rashid aren't English.

fishyguy

U19 12th Man
if archer played for Windies we would have a much more competitive team and it would much better for world cricket. They literally poached this guy from the Windies. As long as England proactively have this policy how is this fair? New Zealand also have started to do this and its a bad trend, they have South African, Zimbabwe and Indian players too, Windies have enough problems they dont need this type of problem.

ishqiya

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah I'm not a fan of the Archer types but it is pretty infuriating when people try to say Ali and Rashid aren't English.
rashid, ali are english. even roy, stokes are okay as they learnt cricket in england. but archer, trott, kp, jordan are guys who actually played u19 for other teams.

Singh767

School Boy/Girl Captain
if archer played for Windies we would have a much more competitive team and it would much better for world cricket. They literally poached this guy from the Windies. As long as England proactively have this policy how is this fair? New Zealand also have started to do this and its a bad trend, they have South African, Zimbabwe and Indian players too, Windies have enough problems they dont need this type of problem.
Why are you ignoring the fact that Ali and Rashid are BORN AND LIVE IN ENGLAND. So that makes your point invalid.

I am born in England but the elders in my family are from India ... what would you want me to do "go back to India" ?

A lot of the players you mentioned played most of their youth cricket in England, Roy, Stokes, thus the development of their skills would have been mainly in England. And immigration in UK always has been from ex-colony places ... would you want UK to stop doing that? I can assure you it is not because of cricketing reasons a lot of people from ex-colony places come and live in England.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
The UK is a multi-cultural society and it should be a surprise to no one that it's sports teams mimic that. I think it's an amazing strength we should be championing rather than bitching about. Many of those you mentioned were either born here or moved here as young children, they ARE British. You could argue the likes of Pietersen and Archer are different as they came here as adults, but the rest? nah not having that.

Dendarii

International Debutant
If England really have "the best players" then shouldn't those players be dominating the rankings?

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Tbh Archer and Jordan are the only players who you could feasibly have a point with.

Roy, Stokes, Currans etc, have all played their cricket in England and have grew up here. Archer has an English mother or father as well, so its not like he is completely disconnected from the country either.

Also citing Rashid and Ali as players 'from other countries' comes off at best as ignorant, at worst racist, on your part.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I am just glad to have a new discussion here at CW at last.

Tomorrow let's discuss whether cricket needs a strong West Indies