• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Second XI

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Whom would you select in an England second XI right now?

Amazing this question can be asked considering England was struggling to play a proper first XI a few years ago..

So who would play in your second England XI apart from Stuart Law ;)

masterblaster

International Captain
Not much on an English fan or into the county scene, but id go on potential:

Strauss (When Vaughan is fully fit I dont see him opening :( )
Ed Smith
Ian Bell
Kevin Pietersen
Owais Shah
Rikki Clarke
James Foster
Sajid Mahmood
Alex Tudor
James Kirtley
Jason Brown

Im not really into the County competition that much, so dont really know about the bowlers. Im not sure there are many decent spin options in England apart from Brown, Panesar and maybe Schofield.

Out of the fast bowlers I know Mahmood is making a big impact, dont think many of you will have Tudor or Kirtley in your teams......

Dont criticise me as I dont know too much about the English Game, but I think the above is a pretty good side.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Smith
Key
Pietersen
Solanki
Clarke
Collingwood
Read
Batty
Anderson
Kabir Ali
Mahmood

wrong again eddie only 3 :)

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Robert Key
Pieterson (shown he can open for the England 'A' team last winter)
Bell
Ed Joyce
Collingwood
Clarke / Ed Smith (dump all rounder if 4 quicks + pieterson can do job)
Read
Kabir Ali
Mahmood
Saggers
Anderson

I think Strauss and Vaughan will be in the same first XI and probably Giles of Hussain will drop out, i also wont bother with a spinner as Pieterson can do that job if needed.
I've also left out older players who are aloud to play for england but i think are too close to retirement to bother with (Caddick / Johnson / Hussain etc)

tooextracool

International Coach
chris.hinton said:
Smith
Key
Pietersen
Solanki
Clarke
Collingwood
Read
Batty
Anderson
Kabir Ali
Mahmood

wrong again eddie only 3 :)
batty has been appalling in his performances for england and barely deserves to be playing county cricket. and i think england have seen enough of vikram solanki.

Langeveldt

Soutie
1. Ed Smith
2. Dave Fulton
3. Ian Bell
4. Ian Ward
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Nicky Peng
7. Chris Read
8. Richard Johnson
9. James Anderson
10. Martin Saggers
11. Jason Brown

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
1. Ed Smith
2. Dave Fulton
3. Ian Bell
4. Ian Ward
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Nicky Peng
7. Chris Read
8. Richard Johnson
9. James Anderson
10. Martin Saggers
11. Jason Brown
I'm SO happy to see Nicky Peng have a good start to the season, he had an abismal last year and was really in danger of losing out on the Durham Line-up if he had a similar bad year again. Lets hope he like Ian Bell can keep the form up and force there way into Contention for few places that Thorpe / Hussain will leave over the next 2/3 years.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
i assumed it was test....but even so im not sure where he would rank in the current selection...

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
1.Cook
2.Fulton
3.Smith
4.Bell
5.Pietersen
6.Prior
7.Collingwood
8.Swann
9.Kabir Ali
10.Lewis
11.Anderson

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
sledger said:
i assumed it was test....but even so im not sure where he would rank in the current selection...
He's never played a Test. It would be very sad for English cricket if he were considered a first XI player having not played a Test!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
1 Robert Key
2 Ed Smith
3 Ian Bell
4 Kevin Pieterson
5 Owais Shah
6 Paul Collingwood
7 Matt Prior
8 Kabir Ali
9 Gareth Batty
10 Jon Lewis
11 James Anderson

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:
1 Robert Key
2 Ed Smith
3 Ian Bell
4 Kevin Pieterson
5 Owais Shah
6 Paul Collingwood
7 Matt Prior
8 Kabir Ali
9 Gareth Batty
10 Jon Lewis
11 James Anderson
Not sure about Ed Smith opening, although he probably has a better claim to a middle order place than Shah. Maybe Alistair Cook as the other opener. And I'm keeping an eye on Liam Plunkett after his demolition job on Leicestershire last week.

savill

School Boy/Girl Captain
1. Cook
2. Jefferson
3. Bell
4. Key
5. Pietersen
6. Hildreth
7. Prior
8. Swann
9. Plunkett
10. Lewis
11. Anderson

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Prince EWS said:
1 Robert Key
2 Ed Smith
3 Ian Bell
4 Kevin Pieterson
5 Owais Shah
6 Paul Collingwood
7 Matt Prior
8 Kabir Ali
9 Gareth Batty
10 Jon Lewis
11 James Anderson
thats pretty much spot on in my opinion, although why batty is batting blow kabir is anyones guess. and read should be the keeper, otherwise that looks about right to me.