• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2019/20

SeamUp

International Coach
Africa T20 Cup supposedly now the CSA T20 cup as no African teams are in. Takes place mainly through September.

SeamUp

International Coach
4-Day Comp starts 7 October.

Cobras
1. P.Malan (c)
2. J.Malan
3. Amla
4. Bedingham
5. Verreynne (wk)
6. Smith
7. Linde
8. Ntini
9. Paterson
10. Mnyaka
11. Bokako

12th Burger

Test : Hamza, Philander, Piedt
Key List A : Kleinveldt

Warriors
1. Moore
2. Cloete
3. Smuts (c)
4. Qeshile (wk)
5. Second (wk)
6. Breetzke
7. Ngoepe
8. Birch
9. Magala
10. de Klerk
11. Sipamla

12th Vallie

Test : Nortje
Key List A : Marais

Dolphins
1. Roelofsen (wk)
2. van Jaarsveld
3. Ackerman
4. Chetty
5. Muthusamy
6. Zondo (c)
7. Phehlukwayo
8. Subrayen
9. E.Bosch
10. Dupavillon
11. Cele

Test : Maharaj
Key List A : Erwee, Miller, Frylinck

Knights
1. Mokoena
2. Petersen
3. van Tonder
4. Pienaar
5. van Biljon (c)
6. Kruger
7. Makwetu (wk)
8. von Berg
9. M.Jansen
10. Baartman
11. Budaza*

* Would produce turners in Bloem/Kimberely and play Ntuli/Adam instead.

Key List A : Gous

Lions
1. Cook
2. D.Hendricks
3. R.Hendricks
4. vd Dussen (c)
5. van den Bergh (wk)
6. Rapulana
7. D.Pretorius
8. Fortuin
9. Siboto
10. M.Pretorius
11. B.Hendricks

Test : Bavuma, Mulder, Rabada
Key List A : Rickelton, Potgieter

Titans
1. de Zorzi
2. Agathangelou
3. Brand
4. Vandiar
5. Klaasen (c) (wk)
6. Behardien
7. Galiem
8. Simmonds
9. C.Bosch
10. Moreki
11. Mothoa

Test : Elgar, Markram, de Bruyn, du Plessis, de Kock, Ngidi
Key List A : Davids, Morris, Steyn, Dala, Shamsi

Key SA U19 ahead of u19 CWC in SA

1. Jonathan Bird (Cobras)
2. Bryce Parsons (Lions)
3. Gerald Coetzee (Knights)
4. Achille Cloete (Cobras)
5. Ruan Terblanche (Cobras) or Lifa Ntanzi (Dolphins)

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Very odd question I know, but can anyone here tell me more about Jovuan van Wyngaardt?
That is an odd one :D

Seen him a bit in the Africa Cups and Varsity tournaments.

Charges in and short and skiddy. When we go back to provinces he will probably make the NW squad form permitting.

SeamUp

International Coach
Titans in Seychelles for pre-season again. Those not involved with cricket else where.

Andrea Agathangelou, Matthew Arnold, Farhaan Behardien, Neil Brand, Corbin Bosch, Henry Davids, Ruan de Swardt, Tony de Zorzi, Dayyaan Galiem, Gregory Mahlokwana, Tshepo Moreki, Alfred Mothoa, Lungi Ngidi, Marcello Piedt, Kabelo Sekhukhune, Kyle Simmonds, Grant Thomson

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Seam Up, so Kleinveldt ended up with 426 runs at 39 (HS 76) and 18 wickets at 13 (BB 5/25). Safe to say he had a pretty successful season and likely to be back next year

PS, has Steyn retired from FC cricket fully? Remember him saying he was keen to play for Hampshire again. Is he still contracted with the Titans?

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Seam Up, so Kleinveldt ended up with 426 runs at 39 (HS 76) and 18 wickets at 13 (BB 5/25). Safe to say he had a pretty successful season and likely to be back next year

PS, has Steyn retired from FC cricket fully? Remember him saying he was keen to play for Hampshire again. Is he still contracted with the Titans?
Thanks mate. Big Rors came off brilliant form in our 1-day cup that I didn't expect. Supposedly next season is his last in professional cricket. So interesting to see if he does return.

Think Steyn will just play white ball cricket for Titans so assume it would be the same for Hampshire.

SeamUp

International Coach
Rumours doing the rounds that one of our best batting talents in recent years in Jono Bird has signed for a County team when he finishes matric. Same path Kieswetter took , Bishops to England. As a private school they work off the International/England syllabus which makes it easy to get into tertiary education in England too. Not 100% confirmed but doing some digging.

Other schools like this

Bishops
St Andrews Grahamstown
St Andrews Bloemfontein
Clifton Durban
Michaelhouse
Hilton
St Johns
St Stithians
St Albans

SeamUp

International Coach
SA u19 captain for India tour in Jan 2019, Matthew Montgomery, already chosen England despite being in Dolphins pre-season last winter whilst in Matric.

Breetzke could have signed for Lancashire after getting into their 2nd XI after not even needing a handful of club games. CSA stepped in there. Wonder if they will have to or too late for Bird.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SA u19 captain for India tour in Jan 2019, Matthew Montgomery, already chosen England despite being in Dolphins pre-season last winter whilst in Matric.

Breetzke could have signed for Lancashire after getting into their 2nd XI after not even needing a handful of club games. CSA stepped in there. Wonder if they will have to or too late for Bird.
None of this is really surprising... not just about opportunity to play cricket anymore but opportunity to make the best life.

SeamUp

International Coach
Rumours doing the rounds that one of our best batting talents in recent years in Jono Bird has signed for a County team when he finishes matric. Same path Kieswetter took , Bishops to England. As a private school they work off the International/England syllabus which makes it easy to get into tertiary education in England too. Not 100% confirmed but doing some digging.

Other schools like this

Bishops
St Andrews Grahamstown
St Andrews Bloemfontein
Clifton Durban
Michaelhouse
Hilton
St Johns
St Stithians
St Albans
None of this is really surprising... not just about opportunity to play cricket anymore but opportunity to make the best life.
Yes. 16,17,18 year olds when they play for SA u19s. The decisions then are never immediate and clear cut but a system that rewards performance and money is the eventual deciding factor when the time comes. Only one loser though, South African cricket.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yes. 16,17,18 year olds when they play for SA u19s. The decisions then are never immediate and clear cut but a system that rewards performance and money is the eventual deciding factor when the time comes. Only one loser though, South African cricket.
While true, it is more than that at the moment. Skills across the board (cricketing and otherwise) are dropping at a hellu'va rate, it not just about jobs; it is also about the opportunity at finding better, happier and safer. It is a sad reality of current RSA.

SeamUp

International Coach
While true, it is more than that at the moment. Skills across the board (cricketing and otherwise) are dropping at a hellu'va rate, it not just about jobs; it is also about the opportunity at finding better, happier and safer. It is a sad reality of current RSA.
This is sport. Going to Bishops I don't think money is an issue for Bird just like Kieswetter before him. Majority of these are cricket based decisions - particularly at these ages.

But even guys like Harmer, van Zyl , Ingram, Vilas whilst I think money was a bigger contributor in them going at the stage of their careers lets not pretend they were gatvol with the system which they clearly were having read and seen certain things in the media. Their failures for SA are highlighted more and their chance back less even if they go back domestically and perform. Going County was the easy and best decision for them security wise.

Something needs to be done to value the Proteas badge again and a system that players can trust (But I think the bolt has shot there). Klusener just said that and I agree 100%. We've created a bubble, lets hope there is enough talent in that net to work with.

We having someone like Michael Cohen turning down a WP contract because Cobras signed Nandre Burger. He knows with another white player blocking his path the opportunity for him to play is extremely minimal. It is either a brave or stupid move but it shouldn't be happening in a cricket system.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
This is sport. Going to Bishops I don't think money is an issue for Bird just like Kieswetter before him. Majority of these are cricket based decisions - particularly at these ages.

But even guys like Harmer, van Zyl , Ingram, Vilas whilst I think money was a bigger contributor in them going at the stage of their careers lets not pretend they were gatvol with the system which they clearly were having read and seen certain things in the media. Their failures for SA are highlighted more and their chance back less even if they go back domestically and perform. Going County was the easy and best decision for them security wise.

Something needs to be done to value the Proteas badge again and a system that players can trust (But I think the bolt has shot there). Klusener just said that and I agree 100%. We've created a bubble, lets hope there is enough talent in that net to work with.

We having someone like Michael Cohen turning down a WP contract because Cobras signed Nandre Burger. He knows with another white player blocking his path the opportunity for him to play is extremely minimal. It is either a brave or stupid move but it shouldn't be happening in a cricket system.
I don't disagree with you on what you are saying.

I do believe there is more to it than that in SA at the current moment. All those players mentioned are likely going to make teams and play in SA (and possibly for SA). And I don't think money is attracting them overseas (partly, but not completely). And yes I am aware they are teenagers, but what advice are they getting from parents and family?

I have 5 close friends in SA that in the last 3 months that have applied for (and will get into) overseas countries due to qualifications and skills. Not including the 3 that have already left. All have very good stable jobs earning good money here in SA, all have wife's or steady long term partners. Their problems have nothing to do with finding a job in SA, even as white men, or earning enough money. It is literally about living in the current RSA political and societal climate. To live in a safer better environment, to bring up families with less worries is an easy sell. And all the adults and older generation, parents and families are telling their kids/grandkids to go, if you have the opportunity just go. There is a time limit on these opportunities. In the last year emigration of skilled workers has increased by 20% and it was already high. Cricketing skills are no different. It is a sad reality of RSA.

Fixing the problems and system in SA cricket will be great, but will mean little outside the picture of current SA unless that gets sorted as well.

SeamUp

International Coach
Supposedly Stephen Cook hasn't retired but doesn't have a Lions contract.

LIONS

In : Potgieter (Gauteng), Pongolo (Gauteng)
Out : Hendricks & vd Dussen (CSA), Yaseen Valli (North West), Craig Alexander (Boland)

CSA Contracted : Reeza Hendricks, Rassie van der Dussen, Temba Bavuma, Kagiso Rabada

Batsmen : Ryan Rickelton (wk), Dominic Hendricks, Wihan Lubbe, Kagiso Rapulana, Nicky van de Bergh (wk), Omphile Ramela
Seamer all-rounders : Wiaan Mulder, Dwaine Pretorius, Delano Potgieter, Nono Pongolo
Spinners : Bjorn Fortuin, Aaron Phangiso
Seamers : Beuran Hendricks, Migael Pretorius, Malusi Siboto

MrPrez

International Debutant
Supposedly Stephen Cook hasn't retired but doesn't have a Lions contract.

LIONS

In : Potgieter (Gauteng), Pongolo (Gauteng)
Out : Hendricks & vd Dussen (CSA), Yaseen Valli (North West), Craig Alexander (Boland)

CSA Contracted : Reeza Hendricks, Rassie van der Dussen, Temba Bavuma, Kagiso Rabada

Batsmen : Ryan Rickelton (wk), Dominic Hendricks, Wihan Lubbe, Kagiso Rapulana, Nicky van de Bergh (wk), Omphile Ramela
Seamer all-rounders : Wiaan Mulder, Dwaine Pretorius, Delano Potgieter, Nono Pongolo
Spinners : Bjorn Fortuin, Aaron Phangiso
Seamers : Beuran Hendricks, Migael Pretorius, Malusi Siboto
Quite weird seeing Yaseen Vallie falling out of the franchise scene.

Pretty sure I recall him being seen as a possible future Protea at one point.

SeamUp

International Coach
CSA T20 Comp coming up.

WESTERN PROVINCE SQUAD

Batsmen/Keepers
Isaac Dikgale
Andre Malan (c)
David Bedingham
Kyle Verreynne
Jason Smith
Qaasim Adams

Seamer All-rounders
Justin Dill
Mihlali Mpongwana

Spinners
Sisonke Mazele
Junaid Dawood
Luke Philander

Seamers

Dane Paterson
Thando Ntini
Siya Plaatjie

Interesting to see Bedingham back with his original team WP. Going to be interesting to see how players and unions will chose their province with the provincial system coming back. Obviously the main provinces will have the greater financial pull.