• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2019/20

Dendarii

International Debutant
SA Emerging
Raynard van Tonder
Jason Smith
Dayyaan Galiem
Nandre Burger
Marco Jansen
In addition to these players, out of those who played for the University side against SA and Sri Lanka Emerging, I'd say that Delano Potgieter (who has already turned out for the Lions) and Beyers Swanepoel are probably worth keeping an eye on.

SeamUp

International Coach
In addition to these players, out of those who played for the University side against SA and Sri Lanka Emerging, I'd say that Delano Potgieter (who has already turned out for the Lions) and Beyers Swanepoel are probably worth keeping an eye on.
Lions haven't released an official contract list yet for next season but I saw his agent confirm he got a contract which is good. Hopefully pushes Dwaine Pretorius. His batting reminds me of Jayasuriya or Trescothick. Weird I know :D Saw him in an Africa Cup. His bowling is military medium but he seems to know how to use it.

SeamUp

International Coach
Jason Smith has loads of work to do v spin. Having watched him it is no surprise he has been dismissed twice by Embuldeniya.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Whats up with the change in batting order? Surprised van Tonder batting at 6? Not a good look second innings.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Jason Smith has loads of work to do v spin. Having watched him it is no surprise he has been dismissed twice by Embuldeniya.
I don't see many SA batsmen that don't need loads of work against quality spin...

I truly wonder what the issue is, we always had an issue as SA players with spin but you would think with the improvement of the SA domestic overall spinners combined with these spin camps in India we keep doing every year we would have got better not worse. I mean you pick some of your best youngsters head off to India every year you would hope they learnt something. And the younger talent is consistently playing against subcontinent teams on the secondary slower tracks in SA and slow tracks in subcontinent. Is it any effect of the LO/T20 stuff? I would put it down to just poor coaching expect even at the highest level where there has been decent coaching and experienced good players of spin it still seems not to have seeped through? Something seems very amiss...

Dendarii

International Debutant
Whats up with the change in batting order? Surprised van Tonder batting at 6?
Off the field for some time perhaps? If that was the case then the collapse would have resulted in not enough time passing before he could come in.

SeamUp

International Coach
I don't see many SA batsmen that don't need loads of work against quality spin...

I truly wonder what the issue is, we always had an issue as SA players with spin but you would think with the improvement of the SA domestic overall spinners combined with these spin camps in India we keep doing every year we would have got better not worse. I mean you pick some of your best youngsters head off to India every year you would hope they learnt something. And the younger talent is consistently playing against subcontinent teams on the secondary slower tracks in SA and slow tracks in subcontinent. Is it any effect of the LO/T20 stuff? I would put it down to just poor coaching expect even at the highest level where there has been decent coaching and experienced good players of spin it still seems not to have seeped through? Something seems very amiss...
They won in the end which is a step forward.

Definitely. I think most of our young batsmen need to keep improving all aspects of their game. I would definitely put players into different tiers though on work to do v spin. Think someone like Janneman has quite a bit to do but he can get away with it more being an opener compared to say Jason Smith & Sinethemba Qeshile.

When you grow up on the wickets we do and v seam your natural reactions and instinct become imprinted so unless they super quick or super skillfull the challenge is less as you go up compared to spin. Obviously the quality gets higher and SA A and international you will get found out against quality seam. Spin seems to suffocate our batsmen as it is fairly accurate and you have to judge length quickly. Often a spinner can intend to spin it and it doesn't spin as we all know and then you play for the straight ones and one grips. I think the key to spin is smothering so you don't have to doubt whether it spins or not but the best spinners get that dip making it difficult to get out to it.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
When you grow up on the wickets we do and v seam your natural reactions and instinct become imprinted so unless they super quick or super skillfull the challenge is less as you go up compared to spin. Obviously the quality gets higher and SA A and international you will get found out against quality seam. Spin seems to suffocate our batsmen as it is fairly accurate and you have to judge length quickly. Often a spinner can intend to spin it and it doesn't spin as we all know and then you play for the straight ones and one grips. I think the key to spin is smothering so you don't have to doubt whether it spins or not but the best spinners get that dip making it difficult to get out to it.
I think judging length is the key to spin, and our batsmen seem to fail miserably at it. Hence we get into the habit of playing back to spin and playing it off and/or sweeping. Little to no use of the feet because they can't judge the length and that is a big issue for me because playing the length is the key to batting of any sort.

I get the feeling they are choosing the technique of playing bcak and off the pitch for short term gains, because the quality of spinner is not as good, but at top level, unless the pitch is very slow, it fails miserably whereas the more difficult technique of learning to judge length is ignored because it takes time and practise.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
2018/19 CSA Awards Nominees

SELECTED AWARDS NOMINATIONS

AFRICA T20 CUP PLAYER OF THE TOURNAMENT

Nandre Burger (Central Gauteng Lions)

Delano Potgieter (Central Gauteng Lions)

Marco Marais (Border)

DOMESTIC NEWCOMER OF THE SEASON

David Bedingham (Cape Cobras)

Janneman Malan (Cape Cobras)

Sinethemba Qeshile (Warriors)

Lutho Sipamla (Warriors)

ONE-DAY CUP CRICKETER OF THE SEASON

Junior Dala (Titans)

Aiden Markram (Titans)

Kyle Verreynne (Cape Cobras)

CSA T20 CHALLENGE CRICKETER OF THE SEASON

Temba Bavuma (Highveld Lions)

Theunis de Bruyn (Titans)

Bjorn Fortuin (Highveld Lions)

Rassie van der Dussen (Highveld Lions)

FOUR-DAY FRANCHISE CRICKETER OF THE SEASON

Pieter Malan (Cape Cobras)

Edward Moore (Warriors)

Keegan Petersen (Knights)

Dane Piedt (Cape Cobras)

Nicky van den Bergh (Highveld Lions)

T20 INTERNATIONAL CRICKETER OF THE YEAR

Reeza Hendricks

David Miller

Andile Phehlukwayo

Rassie van der Dussen

ODI CRICKETER OF THE YEAR

Faf du Plessis

Imran Tahir

Andile Phehlukwayo

Kagiso Rabada

Rassie van der Dussen

TEST CRICKETER OF THE YEAR

Quinton de Kock

Faf du Plessis

Keshav Maharaj

Kagiso Rabada

Dale Steyn

CSA MEN’S CRICKETER OF THE YEAR

Quinton de Kock

Faf du Plessis

Imran Tahir

Kagiso Rabada

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
2018/19 CSA Awards Nominees

SELECTED AWARDS NOMINATIONS

AFRICA T20 CUP PLAYER OF THE TOURNAMENT

Marco Marais (Border)

DOMESTIC NEWCOMER OF THE SEASON

Sinethemba Qeshile (Warriors)

ONE-DAY CUP CRICKETER OF THE SEASON

Junior Dala (Titans)

CSA T20 CHALLENGE CRICKETER OF THE SEASON

Bjorn Fortuin (Highveld Lions)

FOUR-DAY FRANCHISE CRICKETER OF THE SEASON

Dane Piedt (Cape Cobras)

T20 INTERNATIONAL CRICKETER OF THE YEAR

David Miller

ODI CRICKETER OF THE YEAR

Faf du Plessis

TEST CRICKETER OF THE YEAR

Quinton de Kock

CSA MEN’S CRICKETER OF THE YEAR

Faf du Plessis
sacricketmag.com/full-list-cricket-south-africa-awards-winners-professional-amateur/

Domestic Players’ Player of the Season: Bjorn Fortuin (Lions)
SACA Most Valuable Player Award: Dane Piedt (Cape Cobras)
U19 Cricketer of the Year: Bryce Parsons (Central Gauteng Lions)

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Shukri Conrad post SA Emerging test series win over Sri Lanka

“It’s particularly satisfying to win the series especially after a not so satisfying one-day triangular competition,” Conrad said. “I think we played the conditions very well overall, the pitch in the second match was perhaps too good to have forced a result.

“But it was really pleasing to see how our quick bowlers went on really flat wickets and I think that will stand them in good stead going forward.

“What was also encouraging was how out batsmen played against a Test spinner in Lasith Embuldeniya. He has a couple of Tests under his belt, he extracted some spin during the two games and bowled a lot of overs, so our guys were constantly tested.

“For them to come through was very satisfying. Another pleasing thing was that the guys got in and scored a couple of hundreds. That’s something that always ensures a good first innings total.”

Slow left-armer Embuldeniya, who has two Test caps for the Asian side, ended with a massive 18 wickets in the two games, double the tally of South Africa’s best performer, Marco Jansen, but also having bowled more than double the number of overs.

The fast bowler finished with nine wickets, while there were also encouraging performances by Nandre Burger (six), Kyle Simmonds (five) and Thando Ntini (four wickets in one match).

The home side filled the top three positions with the bat – captain Raynard van Tonder leading the way with 254 runs, followed by Janneman Malan (195) and Matthew Breetzke (179). Van Tonder and Breetzke also struck a century apiece.

With plenty of gloom after the recent World Cup, Conrad believes the Emerging players gave hope for the future.

“We don’t want to get too carried away, but as far as the future goes, it does look bright,” he added.

“We have a crop of some young and quick bowlers, I don’t want to single any one of them out, but as a unit, there’s a lot to look forward to.

“Then there’s some really good young batters as well, who need to be playing first-class cricket in South Africa and who need to be exposed to the rigours of franchise cricket.

“They cannot be sitting in the second tier of our system twiddling their thumbs. These are the young players that need to take South Africa cricket forward, so I’m very optimistic.

“It’s been a really tough month and a half, but I’m really proud about how the guys managed to come back and get a positive result at the end.”

SeamUp

International Coach
Mahatlane is unbelievably getting another opportunity at u19 CWC unless the shake up changes things around quickly but what high quality coaches are left in SA and do the people at the top have any idea who is capable of being the best ?

The coaches thoughts post SA u19 thumping.

Following a disappointing performance in the recently concluded Youth One-Day International (ODI) series against Pakistan, the South Africa under-19s' head coach, Lawrence Mahatlane and captain Bryce Parsons have reflected on where things went wrong.

The home side suffered a seven-nil series defeat against the sub-continent outfit in Chatsworth and Pietermaritzburg.

Mahatlane, obviously disappointed with the results, gave credit to the opposition for their success and explained where the difference was between the two sides.

"Firstly, congratulations to Pakistan," he began, during the post-match interviews on Sunday.

"They are well-deserved victors. They really played good cricket throughout the seven matches and won all the important moments. From our side, very disappointing. I think we had opportunities in at least three of the matches, but we just never took them."

Parsons, who led the team for the first time as the newly appointed captain, echoed his coaches' comments, adding: "Seven-nil is obviously really tough for us. Coming into the series, we were confident and had good preparation.

"All our players felt good in the pre-series nets, so going down seven-nil is really tough for us (to take)," he continued.

Despite the results, the series provided a platform for individuals to stake their claims for a spot in the upcoming 2020 ICC U19 Cricket World Cup in South Africa. No player took advantage of that more than Jonathan Bird. The tall left-hander ended the series as the top run-scorer with 356 runs thanks to a half-century and back-to-back hundreds in the fifth and sixth matches.

Mahatlane singled out Bird’s performance while highlighting the gap in performance between him and the rest of the batsmen as a concern. He also mentioned Lifa Ntanzi, who was in a three-way split at the top of the SA under-19s' wicket-takers' list alongside Gerald Coetzee and Imraan Philander with seven wickets each.

"Jonathan Bird was the top run-scorer of the tournament and the gap between him and the rest of the guys was disappointing. We needed guys to play around him and make sure they were part of the partnerships with him," Mahatlane added.

"From the bowling point of view, I thought we again had moments. Lifa was our top wicket-taker but unfortunately got injured in the last game just before bowling. We've just missed those crucial opportunities.

"If we had taken those, we could have been talking a different story," he said.

Parsons also mentioned players that impressed him during the 24-day tour that included a week-long training camp. The skipper wants his players to take heed of the lessons that the tour presented to find the consistency that will turn the results around ahead of the World Cup.

"All these games are preparation for us for the World Cup in 2020, so we got a lot of learnings from it. There were key performances from Bird, Achille Cloete and Coetzee. We just need to bring it all together and take it forward into the World Cup," Parsons added.

While some players made their mark through promising displays, there were others who let themselves down and Mahatlane will now provide opportunities to other youngsters as he continues to fine-tune his plans for the global showpiece.

"I was excited by a few guys. A few players really put their hands up, but a few guys were very disappointing and this will create opportunities for other guys, as we’ve got quite a bit of cricket coming after a 10-week break.

"Hopefully we can settle on a few combinations and really be competitive against India in December in preparation for that World Cup," Mahatlane concluded.

The SA under-19s next face India in a three-match Youth ODI series in East London in December before taking on Zimbabwe, New Zealand and India in a quadrangular in Durban in January.

South Africa U19 squad against Pakistan : Bryce Parsons (captain, Gauteng), Luke Beaufort (Eastern Province), Jonathan Bird (Western Province), Achille Cloete (Boland), Gerald Coetzee (Free State), Khanya Cotani (North West), Micheal Copeland (Gauteng), Andrew Louw (Free State), Heinrigh Pieterse (Gauteng), Levert Manje (Gauteng), Lifa Ntanzi (KZN Coastal), Imraan Philander (Western Province), Siya Plaatjie (Western Province), Ruan Terblanche (Boland), Nonelela Yikha (Border).

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Shukri Conrad post SA Emerging test series win over Sri Lanka
“Then there’s some really good young batters as well, who need to be playing first-class cricket in South Africa and who need to be exposed to the rigours of franchise cricket.
“They cannot be sitting in the second tier of our system twiddling their thumbs. These are the young players that need to take South Africa cricket forward, so I’m very optimistic.
The most important statement.

Mahatlane is unbelievably getting another opportunity at u19 CWC unless the shake up changes things around quickly but what high quality coaches are left in SA and do the people at the top have any idea who is capable of being the best ? The coaches thoughts post SA u19 thumping.
Makes no real sense. Hopefully they do deal with it and don't just let the u19 continue to bumble along.

SeamUp

International Coach
Michael Cohen and Mark Adrianatos rejected Western Province cricket contract offers : Why Michael Cohen rejected a Western Province contract

Former SA u19 captain Matthew Montgomery not even contracted by KZN and been playing in England this winter.

Gareth Schreuder (SA Colts wk 2018) playing for Surrey 2nd XI this winter.

Interesting scorecard. Coulentianos (Easterns), Hornbuckle (SWD), Price (former EP), Justin Broad (WP U19 last year) all playing for the Derby trialists.

Last edited: