• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2019/20

lordscc

Cricket Spectator
What does everyone think about the change from Franchise to provisional teams again?

A good move i feel. I'm sure the SA public would idenify with Border, Gauteng etc then the franchises

Dendarii

International Debutant
Lawrence Mahatlane been coach for a few years now and his tenure does no look good.
The concern is that it's been consistently poor performances under Mahatlane. You're always going to have good and bad years with the U19 team as players don't develop at the same rate and there's no guarantee that you're going to have sufficient quality amongst the players of the same age year after year, but has Mahatlane had any sort of success with the U19 team? And if not is the problem with him or with the system that's feeding players into the U19 setup? (or perhaps it's both)

Dendarii

International Debutant
What does everyone think about the change from Franchise to provisional teams again?

A good move i feel. I'm sure the SA public would idenify with Border, Gauteng etc then the franchises
I don't think identifying with a team is too much of a problem as most of the major cities are home to a franchise. It's really just East London (i.e. Border) that's missing a team, although you could probably also make a case for the return of Boland and Griqualand West given the history of cricket in those regions.

SeamUp

International Coach
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...9s-4th-youth-odi-pak-u19-in-south-africa-2019

Looks like the U19 getting hammered again. Maybe a 7-0 loss will cause some soul searching and rethinking of the u19 coaching and admin structure.
Looks like Bryce Parsons got injured but he is pretty much a lock. Nkwe is talking of involving him with the Lions next season.

Really encouraged that Bird was back in the runs last game. Also a nice little addition is he is bowling his chinamen. 6 overs 0-12 in the current game.

Ruan Terblance is a serious talent too. Got a 100 and a 50 & was probably the next best batsman on the Indian tour. Think he is more suited to the longer version.

The seam bowling is a concern. Gerald Coetzee seems like injuries keeps effecting him and Lifa Ntanzi has been taken apart. The one positive is Achille Cloete.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
My predictions for Thando Ntini: he will go on to establish himself domestically in all formats over the next couple of years, then he will play a couple of games for South Africa A. After a bit more domestic success he will be called up to the ODI team for some low profile series overseas, but he doesn't play a game. After which he drifts out of cricket over the next couple of seasons, despite still having a top notch domestic record. A few years will pass playing club cricket and looking at employment outside the game, before he regains his state contract in the most inspiring story of the off season.

In other words, the South African Alister McDermott

MrPrez

International Debutant
I used to play in the nets with Ntini while I was waiting to be picked up from primary school. Was a good 5 or 6 years older than him but he was a useful little batsman even at such a young age.

Cool story, I know.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/C...cox-on-why-proteas-world-cup-flopped-20190711
https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/C...nge-needed-at-cricket-sa-says-symcox-20190712

A couple of articles by Symcox regards the structure and failings of cricket in SA. I pretty much agree with him. I think those '4 pillars' CSA did try to maintain and have made a clear attempt with sending players to India the U19/ emerging teams etc, but ultimately poor administration and poor coaching has resulted in those structures failing the players in SA. Needs to be sorted. The FC is a mess and while I think quotas are to blame to and extent, I think that has more to do with poor implementation than policy itself. It has become much more about politics than actually trying to improve structures to overcome the past social problems. But that whole problem is a social issue that effects all of SA not just cricket.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
The concern is that it's been consistently poor performances under Mahatlane. You're always going to have good and bad years with the U19 team as players don't develop at the same rate and there's no guarantee that you're going to have sufficient quality amongst the players of the same age year after year, but has Mahatlane had any sort of success with the U19 team? And if not is the problem with him or with the system that's feeding players into the U19 setup? (or perhaps it's both)
Mahatlane does not seem to be able to improve players nor get them to the requisite standard needed for franchise cricket. I reckon there are better coaches than him and that goes for black coaches as well

Dendarii

International Debutant
Runs for Janneman Malan too. I know he's in the one-day A squad for India, but maybe he should have been in the four-day squad as well, ahead of Pieter.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Runs for Janneman Malan too. I know he's in the one-day A squad for India, but maybe he should have been in the four-day squad as well, ahead of Pieter.
Yep. I think J. Malan deserves a real shot at higher levels just through weight of runs across all formats. van Tonder scoring runs as well.

SeamUp

International Coach
I definitely would of. Would also balance out with left-hander Eddie Moore better too. Also do we really see Pieter Malan who is 2/3 years younger than Elgar getting a chance.

4-day A team
Markram (c)
P.Malan/Moore
Hamza
de Bruyn
Bavuma
Second
Mulder
Muthusamy/Linde
Piedt
B.Hendricks/Sipamla
Nortje

Zondo

1-day A team
R.Hendricks/Cloete
J.Malan/Breetzke
Bavuma (c)
de Bruyn
Qeshile
Mulder
Klaasen
Linde/Fortuin
Dala/Sipamla
B.Hendricks
Nortje

Those not there who could feed into this.
Ryan Rickelton (1-day)
Keegan Petersen (4-day)
David Bedingham
Kyle Verreynne
Eathan Bosch
Daryn Dupavillon

SA Emerging
Raynard van Tonder
Jason Smith
Dayyaan Galiem
Nandre Burger
Marco Jansen

SA u19
Ruan Terblanche (4-day)
Jono Bird
Bryce Parsons
Gerald Coetzee
Achille Cloete

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
A few other updates.

In : Nandre Burger (Lions)
Out : Dayyaan Galiem (Titans), JP Duminy (retired)

Obviously with provincial system coming there could be opportunities for Western Province and Boland players. WP will have Bird & Ntini. Boland Terblanche & Cloete. Stellenbosch University has been doing really well too. Take someone like Bedingham who was facing obscurity and also left-arm spinner Kyle Simmonds who is in the SA Emerging side and has now moved too Northerns.

Western Province 2019/20

http://www.wpca.org.za/news/wp-announce-senior-provincial-contracted-squad

The senior provincial squad for 2019/2020 is: Qaasim Adams, Junaid Dawood, Isaac Dikgale, Justin Dill, Matthew Kleinveldt, Carlos Koyana, André Malan, Mihlali Mpongwana, Jack Newby, Thando Ntini, Ryan Klein
The following players form part of the extended high performance group: Givon Christian, Mujahid Toffar, Diego Du Plessis, Bonga Makhakha, Luke Philander, Liam Goodall, Tayo Walbrugh, Jonathan Bird, Siya Plaatjie and Imraan Philander.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Last franchise contracts

Titans announced 2019/20 squad

CSA contracted
Dean Elgar, Aiden Markram, Faf du Plessis, Theunis de Bruyn, Quinton de Kock, Dale Steyn, Lungi Ngidi, Tabraiz Shamsi

Titans contracted
Jono Vandiar, Andrea Agathangelou, Tony de Zorzi, Neil Brand, Henry Davids , Farhaan Behardien, Heinrich Klaasen, Grant Thomson, Dayyaan Galiem, Corbin Bosch, Tshepo Moreki, Junior Dala, Matt Arnold, Alfred Mothoa, Marcello Piedt

Pay as you play
Heino Kuhn
Chris Morris

Rookies
Kabelo Sekhukhune
Ruan de Swardt

In
Brand (Northerns), Galiem (Cobras), Arnold (Easterns), Piedt (SWD)

Out
A.Morkel (retired), Moonsamy, Makwetu (Knights), von Berg (Knights), Hawken

Mark Boucher
Geoffrey Toyana has left his pipeline at Lions/Gauteng to take charge of Northerns.

Geoffrey Toyana has been appointed as the new head coach of the Northerns Senior Provincial side.

Toyana, who boasts cricket pedigree as a player and coach, takes over from JP Triegaardt, who made his return to Northern Cape Cricket earlier this month.

The former Transvaal and Easterns man made 71 List A and 84 first-class appearances during his career as a left-handed batsman. His performances at senior level earned him his franchise debut in 2004/05, where he went on to feature in 20 four-day games and record six half-centuries over a three-year period for the Titans. He then returned to Easterns towards the back end of his playing career.

Following his retirement from professional cricket in 2008, Toyana was appointed Easterns' head coach. Not long after, he joined the Highveld Lions as assistant head coach in the summer of 2011/12, before becoming the first black African to serve as a franchise head coach the following season.

Toyana flourished in his first year at the helm, leading the Lions to the T20 title, as well as joint-holders of the One-Day Cup and finished second in the four-day competition. His six-year tenure brought with it four titles and earned him stints with the SA Under-19s and SA Emerging teams. His most recent outing came as assistant head coach of the Paarl Rocks in the inaugural Mzansi Super League last December.

With a wealth of experience, the 45-year-old is an important acquisition as the senior side aim to build on last season’s successes, which saw them finish joint-winners with Eastern Province in the CSA 3-Day Provincial Cup and runners up in the CSA Provincial One-Day Challenge.

“To be back at SuperSport Park, where I enjoyed a five-year career with the Titans, is a huge honour for me," expressed Toyana.

“Having spent last year behind a desk, I am looking forward to the prospect of coaching again and being out on the park, so it’s great opportunity to do something I’m passionate about.”

“Looking at the side, it is a young squad with some exciting talent and I can’t wait to hit the ground running as we build on last season’s triumphs. One of the main keys to success is consistency, and it’s important to keep on improving and not regress."

“The ultimate goal is to produce players for the Titans and, having previously been involved with franchise as a player, I know the culture and understand what is required in order to compete at that level.”

Toyana will take charge of the squad from Monday, July 15, and Cricket Operations Manager Johan Muller is looking forward to welcoming him to the set-up.

“We are fortunate to have acquired a coach with such a high level of the experience, success and hard work - his record speaks for itself. We signed talented prospects two years ago and I believe Geoff is the ideal coach to ensure that those players are ready to perform at franchise level,” commented Muller.
Northerns Senior Provincial squad 2019/20:

Rubin Hermann, Gionne Koopman, Kyle Simmonds, Gregory Mahlokwana, Victor Mahlangu, Rivaldo Moonsamy, Luvuyo Nkese, Gideon Peters, Jiveshen Pillay, Diego Rosier, Ruben Trupelmann
Obviously with the Provincial system coming in this will be very interesting to watch. Only new addition is Kyle Simmonds from Boland.
Otherwise Moonsamy falls down from Titans. Hermann, Koopman, Mahlokwana, Mahlangu, Rosier all played for Titans last season.
Local boys : Hermann, Peters (Waterkloof), Trumpelmann (Affies), Moonsamy (St Albans), Mahlokwane (Cullinan), Mahlangu (Mamelodi), Nkese (Soshunguve)
Pillay obviously joined Tuks last season after leaving finishing school at Maritzburg.

Obviously as a union they will be concerned they aren't producing local talent like their great years ie AB, Faf, Rudolph, Kuhn, Steyn, Morkels but always would be difficult to maintain.