• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2019/20

SeamUp

International Coach
Breetzke out for 80. A 100 was there but good he is building up in this format.

Qeshile with 2nd season syndrome.

SeamUp

International Coach
Same for Bedingham. But being left out first game, batting 3 2nd game & now batted 6. Just seems all over the place.

Just as an aside. Talk is WP included a player in their squad who played 3rd XI club cricket on the weekend.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Breetzke out for 80. A 100 was there but good he is building up in this format.

Qeshile with 2nd season syndrome.
Bit tough on Qeshile scored 50 in the first match? I did expect him to struggle particularly with the keeper role taken away. Nice to see from Breetzke though.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Just as an aside, of all the more mature players in the domestic scene (particularly with them seeming to take the gloves away from QDK). Second is the player I would like to see get a shot, more than any other.

SeamUp

International Coach
Bit tough on Qeshile scored 50 in the first match? I did expect him to struggle particularly with the keeper role taken away. Nice to see from Breetzke though.
It is normal tbf. There are some expectations and he is averaging 18. I just hope they don't pressure him and push him too soon with how Bavuma is going.

SeamUp

International Coach
How many Proteas do we expect to play in the round of fixtures starting on Monday ?

Big debate on twittersphere at the moment how there is a lack of senior coaching staff and senior cricket players in our system guiding the younger players.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
How many Proteas do we expect to play in the round of fixtures starting on Monday ?

Big debate on twittersphere at the moment how there is a lack of senior coaching staff and senior cricket players in our system guiding the younger players.
I think there is more a lack of international senior players and, more importantly, administration and coaching staff. The international senior players missing is largely true for most countries. Unless a long down time few internationals actually get many games at the domestic level nowadays.

SeamUp

International Coach
Broad and Anderson played as many games as they could. Ali Cook/Bell stay playing after retirement.

All the Australian internationals are playing domestic cricket. Shield and 1-day.

A day after giving SA its worst test series defeat since 1936 Ashwin and Agarwal went to play Vijay Hazare Trophy.

Our cricketing system is rotten at the moment thanks to CSA unfortunately.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Broad and Anderson played as many games as they could. Ali Cook stays playing after retirement.

All the Australian internationals are playing domestic cricket. Shield and 1-day.

A day after giving SA its worst series defeat since 1936 Ashwin and Agarwal went to play Vijay Hazare Trophy.

Our cricketing system is rotten at the moment thanks to CSA unfortunately.
Fair enough.

I do think they should be playing now with such a long time between these last matches and the boxing day tests (maybe not Rabada because of his work load). I do think many of our senior international guys retire fully though, Duminy, de Villers, Steyn, Amla not playing for another few years locally not nice to see. This also makes the transitions into the senior administrative and coaching roles more difficult.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
I get the sense that even if qoutas were to be abolished we'd still have a lot of the problems affecting us. The domestic system is broken and no one wants to say anything that might ruffle feathers with the suits. I reckon Faf said what he said because he knows there's nothing to lose. It's sad how mismanagement can destroy a great thing.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...-ex-players-stay-away-csa-battles-fund-crunch

Firdose article again, I think she has some sort of written word quota to catch up on, churning them out, but one of the stronger articles she has written.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) needs deeper pockets if it wants former international players to be involved in their structure and programmes, according to captain Faf du Plessis. In the aftermath of what he called the "toughest part of my captaincy journey", which has included a poor World Cup, a drubbing in India, and several high-profile retirements, du Plessis explained that while an inexperienced South African set-up need inputs from past greats, they cannot always afford them.

"It's obvious that we need to make more use of our ex-players and especially our experienced players, but it also comes with challenges," he said. "I know for a fact that we have tried to get them involved, but I suppose it always comes down to a financial point of view. The financial thing is a hurdle at the moment but if that wasn't a hurdle, most definitely."
But it also speaks to a less obvious issue, that perhaps the former players themselves are wary of becoming involved at CSA. This is a subject that is spoken about in hushed tones and in off-the-record conversations, but it is starting to show its head. Jacques Rudolph has blamed the administration for the current decline. While CSA tries to put out legal fires on several fronts, they are losing credibility among the very people who are their strongest currency: the players. And that is something they cannot afford at all.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Newlands CG Friday

Newlands CG Saturday

Unfortunately more rain yesterday, last night and this morning probably puts in doubt much cricket today in the fixture I am interested in most this round. Lions v Dolphins would have pushed if Dolphins & Lions didn't have so many players missing.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Starting in 5 minutes at Newlands is good to see.

Raynard just going along nicely.

Pity only Hamza, Piedt, Linde, Muthusamy, Klaasen and Ngidi are playing from the test squad.

So many injuries : Mulder, Dupavillon, Jansen, Bosch bro's, B.Hendricks , Burger (?)

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Every time I see van Tonder scoring runs my heart gives a little flutter of hope. I so want him to score really really big this season and get into the team sooner rather than later.

SeamUp

International Coach
Every time I see van Tonder scoring runs my heart gives a little flutter of hope. I so want him to score really really big this season and get into the team sooner rather than later.
Even though he plays on roads at home you still have to score the runs and we know he is talented. The Knights before the start of the season were calling him their Jacques Kallis. Words from Pite van Biljon the captain.