• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2019/20

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Bang average spinners, some who would be purely PT at international level, getting away with murder. Batsman need to step up and curators need to produce better wickets and not follow the Zimbabwe model. Imagine Smuts in India?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, think that Potchefstroom wicket may need some work. And the batsmen need to learn how to handle spin better.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
van Tonder with a 50 yesterday. Qeshile just making his 50* now in his now familiar rear guard action following the top order collapse of the Warriors... may fit into the SA setup very well with the consistent collapses! Also Brand making a ton yesterday, uncertain how much he wants to actually play for SA though?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The Lions Cobra game looks like an absolute ****fest of a game. Even if it was probably exciting for all those spectators.

Bahseph

State Captain
Looks like a horrible track. Siboto with 5/15. Not good signs there. Also, why is Lucky batting so low for the Dolphins? I'm tired of him doing the bit-part gig at domestic level as well. He shouldn't be behind Makhanya. And he should be above Zondo imo. For the good of the Proteas.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like a horrible track. Siboto with 5/15. Not good signs there. Also, why is Lucky batting so low for the Dolphins? I'm tired of him doing the bit-part gig at domestic level as well. He shouldn't be behind Makhanya. And he should be above Zondo imo. For the good of the Proteas.
Its a consistent issue. He shows some great skills but does not get a chance to develop properly. Should be batting at 6.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Its a consistent issue. He shows some great skills but does not get a chance to develop properly. Should be batting at 6.
I think he's developed too much of a reputation as a lower-order slogger, making coaches reluctant to give him a go higher up. Which possibly become a bit of a Catch-22 because he's batting too low down to get high scores on a regular basis, but not making the high scores means that he's not being promoted up the order.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think he's developed too much of a reputation as a lower-order slogger, making coaches reluctant to give him a go higher up. Which possibly become a bit of a Catch-22 because he's batting too low down to get high scores on a regular basis, but not making the high scores means that he's not being promoted up the order.
That is just bad coaching and selection and poor logic. I believe they started doing in the LO stuff end of last year.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm going to go against the grain a bit and position myself as a sceptic of his batting ability in the first place. He doesn't score runs because he's not very good. It's his early ODI record that's the aberration rather than his batting position/lack of runs in First Class cricket IMO. He's admirably good at soaking up pressure but the actual batting thing that he struggles with.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I'm going to go against the grain a bit and position myself as a sceptic of his batting ability in the first place. He doesn't score runs because he's not very good. It's his early ODI record that's the aberration rather than his batting position/lack of runs in First Class cricket IMO. He's admirably good at soaking up pressure but the actual batting thing that he struggles with.
He scored 3 or 4 50+'s in a row during the LO domestic season end of last year, when he was pushed up the order to number 6. He has the ability, his game has just not developed beyond been treated as a number 8 basher.

Just to say, I don't think he has some endless ability, but he has not been given an opportunity to develop so we will not see how good he could be.

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain
Yeah just to add on that, I don't see him as a top 6 batsman for SA. But I do believe he is better than a run a ball 20 type of knock. Ideally seven in the LO games should be the goal with him. Don't want him in the Test team unless he has a big improvement in either of his disciplines.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Nah I'm with PEWS, I just don't think he's that good. Can just about hold his own at 7 in ODIs due to his ability to biff it around a bit, but definitely not a top 6 batsman.

He had some good form with the bat recently but there's no way he's a genuine batsman.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Dayyaan Galiem has been in the runs in both matches with wickets in the first. It looks like the move to the Titans may have worked for him, and it'll be good to have an all-round option other than Mulder.

SeamUp

International Coach
Dayyaan Galiem has been in the runs in both matches with wickets in the first. It looks like the move to the Titans may have worked for him, and it'll be good to have an all-round option other than Mulder.
Always thought he had more about him than Jason Smith so thought it so weird he couldn't show it at the Cobras or WP when they trained or played together.

Just shows a change of environment and coaching mentalities can be the change a player needs.

SeamUp

International Coach
Whats up with Mulder only bowling 3 balls? Hope that is not a serious injury.
Think he was carrying a little niggle going into the first game. Looks like it is back. Hopefully not too bad and not negligent from the Lions/CSA's part to allow him bowl.