• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic off-season 2019

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
World Cup year, the contract list is somewhat focused on limited overs cricket. Regardless of personal opinions, I can understand the logic behind it

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Zampa is a right handed Brad Hogg but not as good with either bat or ball. He's still or first choice white ball spinner for good reason, at least until Swepson lives up to a tenth of the hype built up around him.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The cricinfo headline associated with that pic says 'Zampa keen to continue dual spin threat with Lyon'. Threat? The main thing Lyon's ODI bowling will threaten will be our ability to keep the total under 350.

Was also reading Langer's excuses for not picking Hazlewood once J. Richardson was eliminated. I know he hasn't played white ball cricket for ages but I'd still back him to be better than K. Richardson (or either Richardson really). Not that Kane's a bad one day bowler, but he's clearly not of the class required either.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The cricinfo headline associated with that pic says 'Zampa keen to continue dual spin threat with Lyon'. Threat? The main thing Lyon's ODI bowling will threaten will be our ability to keep the total under 350.

Was also reading Langer's excuses for not picking Hazlewood once J. Richardson was eliminated. I know he hasn't played white ball cricket for ages but I'd still back him to be better than K. Richardson (or either Richardson really). Not that Kane's a bad one day bowler, but he's clearly not of the class required either.
I don't know, I tend to agree that generally speaking Kane Richardson is nowhere near the class of the other guys, but I can just imagine him punching above his weight in super high-scoring conditions eg. taking 5-65 defending 350+.

And yeh Lyon being picked for ODIs has gone beyond a joke now. Never thought they'd actually put the creature in the WC squad

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
All the full squads:

New South Wales

CA contracts: Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, David Warner

State contracts: Peter Nevill, Sean Abbott, Nick Bertus, Harry Conway, Trent Copeland, Ben Dwarshuis, Jack Edwards, Mickey Edwards, Daniel Fallins, Ryan Gibson, Liam Hatcher, Moises Henriques, Daniel Hughes, Nick Larkin, Stephen O’Keefe, Kurtis Patterson, Daniel Sams, Jason Sangha, Param Uppal, Greg West

Rookie contracts: Ryan Hackney, Ryan Hadley, Baxter Holt, Oliver Davies, Matt Gilkes, Chad Sammut

IN: Oliver Davies, Matt Gilkes
OUT: Charlie Stobo, Henry Thornton, Arjun Nair, Chris Green, Jay Lenton, Jordan Gauci

Queensland

CA contracts: Usman Khawaja

State contracts: Xavier Bartlett, Max Bryant, Joe Burns, Brendan Doggett, Chucky Gannon, Sam Heazlett, Charlie Hemphrey, Matt Kuhnemann, Marnus Labuschagne, Alister McDermott, Michael Neser, James Peirson, Lachlan Pfeffer, Jack Prestwidge,Matt Renshaw, Billy Stanlake, Mark Steketee, Mitch Swepson, Jack Wildermuth

Rookie contracts: Blake Edwards, Corey Hunter, Nathan McSweeney, Bryce Street, Connor Sully, Matthew Willans

IN: Alister McDermott, Corey Hunter, Matthew Willans
OUT: Luke Feldman, Peter George, Sam Truloff, Chris Lynn

South Australia

CA contracts: Alex Carey, Travis Head, Adam Zampa

State contracts: Wes Agar, Tom Andrews, Tom Cooper, John Dalton, Callum Ferguson, David Grant, Jake Lehmann, Conor McInerney, Joe Mennie, Harry Nielsen, Patrick Page Jnr, Kane Richardson, Luke Robins, Alex Ross, Chadd Sayers, Cameron Valente, Jake Weatherald, Nick Winter, Daniel Worrall

Rookie contracts: Jacob Dickman, Henry Hunt, Spencer Johnson, Tim Oakley, Lloyd Pope, Ben Pengelley

IN: Wes Agar, Jacob Dickman, Henry Hunt, Tim Oakley
OUT: Micheal Cormack, Elliot Opie, Kelvin Smith, Jake Winter

Tasmania

CA contracts: Tim Paine

State contracts: George Bailey, Gabe Bell, Alex Bevilaqua, Jackson Bird, Alex Doolan, Jake Doran, James Faulkner, Caleb Jewell, Ben McDermott, Riley Meredith, Simon Milenko, Alex Pyecroft, Sam Rainbird, Tom Rogers, Gurinder Sandhu, Jordan Silk, Matthew Wade, Charlie Wakim, Beau Webster, Sean Willis

Rookie contracts: Iain Carlisle, Jarrod Freeman, Lawrence Neil-Smith, Keegan Oates, Jack White, Macallister Wright

IN: Alex Bevilaqua, Iain Carlisle, Keegan Oates, Alex Pyecroft, Sean Willis
OUT: Nick Buchanan, Liam Devlin, Hamish Kingston, Aaron Summers

Victoria

CA contracts: Aaron Finch, Peter Handscomb, Marcus Harris, Glenn Maxwell, James Pattinson

State contracts: Aaron Ayre, Scott Boland, Jackson Coleman, Xavier Crone, Travis Dean, Zak Evans, Andrew Fekete, Sebastian Gotch, Sam Harper, Mackenzie Harvey, Jon Holland, Nic Maddinson, Tom O’Connell, Will Pucovski, Jake Reed, Matthew Short, Peter Siddle, Will Sutherland, Chris Tremain, Eamonn Vines

Rookie contracts: Sam Elliott, Jake Fraser-McGurk, Jonathan Merlo, Ed Newman, Mitchell Perry, Patrick Rowe

IN: Aaron Ayre, Sam Elliott, Jake Fraser-McGurk
OUT: Wes Agar, Sam Grimwade, Cameron White

Western Australia

CA contracts: Nathan Coulter-Nile, Shaun Marsh, Jhye Richardson, Marcus Stoinis

State contracts: Ashton Agar, Cameron Bancroft, Jason Behrendorff, Jake Carder, Hilton Cartwright, Cameron Green, Liam Guthrie, Aaron Hardie, Josh Inglis, Matthew Kelly, Simon Mackin, Mitch Marsh, David Moody, Joel Paris, Josh Philippe, D'Arcy Short, Ashton Turner, Andrew Tye, Sam Whiteman

Rookie contracts: Sam Fanning, Jayden Goodwin, Bradley Hope, Lance Morris, Matthew Spoors

IN: Sam Fanning, Jayden Goodwin, Bradley Hope
OUT: Alex Bevilaqua, Will Bosisto, Tim David, Clint Hinchliffe, Jon Wells

Getting all that in the same format was somewhat of a pain in the arse, where's brockers brockley when you need him

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Qld getting rid of George and Feldman feels like the end of an era. Why Gannon though?
I have absolutely no idea why Gannon is still a thing, he's slow and he throws.

Feldman retired of his own accord, George was cut though. Even an old and half crocked George would still be better than Gannon imo

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I've just thought of something. Charlie Hemphrey is playing for Glamorgan on a UK passport, yet he is still on the QLD list. I assume this means he will technically be considered an overseas player when he plays over here, kinda like Micheal Hogan did for a couple of seasons.

Top_Cat

Andrews is comfortably better than Pope right now, but you'd think Pope has a much higher ceiling. It's a tough one.
Dunno. Overall package perhaps but, in bowling terms, they've both only had one good FC match. How Grant gets a full gig over Pope when the squad is already stacked with quicks, even taking into account Worrall's injury, very conservative.

TheJediBrah

Dunno. Overall package perhaps but, in bowling terms, they've both only had one good FC match. How Grant gets a full gig over Pope when the squad is already stacked with quicks, even taking into account Worrall's injury, very conservative.
From what little I've seen Andrews just looks much more consistent with building pressure and Pope bowls largely trash and leaks runs. Even Pope's big haul was mostly batsmen getting themselves out caught from ordinary balls IIRC. Just looking at their respective stats (from limited appearances, to be fair) which I didn't before, Andrews comes out looking pretty comfortably superior as well.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
I think Andrews did reasonably well in the last game of the season as well. Very tight in the first innings and got two set batsmen out in the second inning in a smallish run chase.
Pope is 5 years younger, very young for a leg spinner and shows promise, but needs to develop. There have been other young leg spinners around, including Steve Smith, who have looked promising and turned out to be nothing as bowlers. Andrews made his first class debut for a Cricket Australia XI against West Indies and was the second spinner to Cameron Boyce who had a good game and Andrews hardly bowled.

Burgey

How good is it to see the great Nick Bertus cementing his spot in the NSW squad for the upcoming season? Expect him to make his test debut within 12 months.

Top_Cat

SACA have a long and very ordinary history of dealing with tweakers generally but especially guys who try to rip it hard. No hate for Andrews, taking all but 10-fer in Brissie for a finger spinner is something to really hang his hat on. I just hope they don't lose Pope to another state who he then proceeds to tear it up for. Whatever he's missing, bloke's a genuine wicket-taker.

That said, not as if it'll make a difference in terms of winning Shields. They've ironically got tons of bowling to work with. The real problems are further up the order.