• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing cricket with a broken finger?

Tom Flint

International Regular
I broke my middle finger on my weaker left hand trying to take a catch on the boundary last weekend, I then had the nail removed in hospital yesterday and the nail bed stitched up. It's just a small fracture on the tip, I can still bend my finger but it is very swollen and bruised. It's our first league game this Saturday and I'm obviously desperate to play despite the doctors and girlfriends advice not to. How do professionals come out to bat with broken fingers and does anyone have any good advice on how I can play?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is probably something everyone goes through at some point in their cricket career.

I've sprained/fractured nearly all my fingers at some point when I first started keeping and usually played through it. Also played 2 weeks after dislocating my pinky so I say go for it lel. Yours sounds more serious though. Just tape it up heavily.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Thank you yes the fracture is the least serious part of the injury. It's the wound on the nail bed I'm worried about. How do they put a batting glove on with heavy strapping?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm guessing they don't strap as much when batting because the gloves offer so much protection already. It's also not everyday you get rapped on the gloves, especially at club level.

Andy1993

U19 Cricketer
I played this weekend with a broken finger...strapped it heavily and have protection on gloves..should be fine but dont risk it if your unsure

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I broke my middle finger on my weaker left hand trying to take a catch on the boundary last weekend, I then had the nail removed in hospital yesterday and the nail bed stitched up. It's just a small fracture on the tip, I can still bend my finger but it is very swollen and bruised. It's our first league game this Saturday and I'm obviously desperate to play despite the doctors and girlfriends advice not to. How do professionals come out to bat with broken fingers and does anyone have any good advice on how I can play?
Did you play in the end? I always say don't do it. People do play with broken fingers, but if per chance you take a whack on it the pain will be like nothing imaginable aside from the tenderest part of your anatomy being attacked with a pair of tweezers.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Hi yes I played, I found fielding the hardest part, I strapped my fingers together but had to be hid in the field a bit and luckily didn't have any catches come my way. I did feel though that anything coming my way with any power I wouldn't have been able to use both hands.
When we batted I came in number 3 and it felt fine the glove worked as a bit of a splint and maybe me playing with a stronger bottom hand meant I didn't use my left too much! I got 32 before I got one that rolled along the floor and hit me bang in front. Thanks for those who gave me any advice